What did this Coles shopper do that had everyone debating?

Regular customers of Coles are generally aware of the retailer’s strict rules for in-store shopping.

However, those rules were apparently disregarded by one Coles customer on the NSW Central Coast, leaving a fellow shopper disgusted.

While browsing at a Coles store, the said customer noticed something unusual in the next aisle—a little chihuahua was snoozing away in a shopping trolley!

Upon this discovery, the customer then headed straight for customer service to enquire.

‘I asked the floor supervisor why this dog was allowed in store as well as in a trolley where people put food,’ the customer captioned along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

The supervisor told him it might be a service dog, however, the animal wore no clear identification, so the customer dismissed this.

compressed-image2.jpeg
A Coles shopper expressed his discontent over a chihuahua situated in one of their trolleys. Image Credit: Facebook.

‘So I asked if I was allowed to just walk in-store with my dog on a [leash], and she said, no, I am not. Nor am I allowed to put my dog in a trolley (which I agree with completely, by the way), but I was making a point.’

The customer then took to social media to share his ‘whinge’ about the incident, along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

Included in his post, the man said, 'The amount of animals allowed into Coles stores at the moment because staff aren’t allowed to approach them is beyond a joke.'

The post quickly gained attention online, with many people chiming in to agree that using trolleys to carry dogs was 'gross' and people should leave their ‘fur babies’ at home.

‘As if you want a dog's a** and drool and whatever else where you put your fruit and [vegetables]. Leave the mutt at home,’ one commented.

Another online user shared their sentiment that ‘little dogs get away with everything.’

However, not everyone agreed with the original complaint. There were some who argued this was a trivial issue not worth making a fuss about.

‘If you're that worried, get a disinfection wipe and wipe all over the trolley. I would much rather have an obedient dog in a trolley than some kid running around the shop,’ one stated.

Another person commented: ‘There's much more worse things happening in the world.’

A response from an assistance dog handler clarified what pets are allowed in Australian supermarkets.

They explained that assistance animals must be equipped with identification. In addition, service dogs were not permitted to sit in the trolley for hygienic purposes.

This was not the only case regarding pets being present inside the store. Last year another customer had been spotted with their pet at a checkout, and Coles had confirmed that was not permitted.

'Assistance and companion animals are welcome to accompany their owners in our stores if they are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness,' a Coles spokesperson said at the time.

'We do not allow for everyday pets or animals to enter our stores.'

It’s easy to forget that any pet in a public space has potential implications for public health and hygiene.

Dogs, like all animals (and humans, for that matter), are carriers of billions of microorganisms. While some of these microbes don't carry any disease, the same can't be said about them all.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer at a NSW Central Coast Coles store complained about a woman keeping a dog in her shopping trolley.
  • The customer expressed dissatisfaction with the staff's response, saying that the supervisor suggested the dog might be a service animal, despite it not having clear identification.
  • Many people responding online agreed with the customer's complaint, arguing that it was unhygienic to have a dog in a trolley. Others criticised the man for complaining about what they saw as a trivial issue.
  • Coles previously stated that only assistance and companion animals, which are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness, are welcome in stores. Ordinary pets are not permitted.

What do you think is the right call? Should pets be allowed in the grocery store, or should people leave their beloved fur friends at home? Weigh in your opinion in the comments below.

Sponsored
Regular customers of Coles are generally aware of the retailer’s strict rules for in-store shopping.

However, those rules were apparently disregarded by one Coles customer on the NSW Central Coast, leaving a fellow shopper disgusted.

While browsing at a Coles store, the said customer noticed something unusual in the next aisle—a little chihuahua was snoozing away in a shopping trolley!

Upon this discovery, the customer then headed straight for customer service to enquire.

‘I asked the floor supervisor why this dog was allowed in store as well as in a trolley where people put food,’ the customer captioned along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

The supervisor told him it might be a service dog, however, the animal wore no clear identification, so the customer dismissed this.

View attachment 30354
A Coles shopper expressed his discontent over a chihuahua situated in one of their trolleys. Image Credit: Facebook.

‘So I asked if I was allowed to just walk in-store with my dog on a [leash], and she said, no, I am not. Nor am I allowed to put my dog in a trolley (which I agree with completely, by the way), but I was making a point.’

The customer then took to social media to share his ‘whinge’ about the incident, along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

Included in his post, the man said, 'The amount of animals allowed into Coles stores at the moment because staff aren’t allowed to approach them is beyond a joke.'

The post quickly gained attention online, with many people chiming in to agree that using trolleys to carry dogs was 'gross' and people should leave their ‘fur babies’ at home.

‘As if you want a dog's a** and drool and whatever else where you put your fruit and [vegetables]. Leave the mutt at home,’ one commented.

Another online user shared their sentiment that ‘little dogs get away with everything.’

However, not everyone agreed with the original complaint. There were some who argued this was a trivial issue not worth making a fuss about.

‘If you're that worried, get a disinfection wipe and wipe all over the trolley. I would much rather have an obedient dog in a trolley than some kid running around the shop,’ one stated.

Another person commented: ‘There's much more worse things happening in the world.’

A response from an assistance dog handler clarified what pets are allowed in Australian supermarkets.

They explained that assistance animals must be equipped with identification. In addition, service dogs were not permitted to sit in the trolley for hygienic purposes.

This was not the only case regarding pets being present inside the store. Last year another customer had been spotted with their pet at a checkout, and Coles had confirmed that was not permitted.

'Assistance and companion animals are welcome to accompany their owners in our stores if they are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness,' a Coles spokesperson said at the time.

It’s easy to forget that any pet in a public space has potential implications for public health and hygiene.

Dogs, like all animals (and humans, for that matter), are carriers of billions of microorganisms. While some of these microbes don't carry any disease, the same can't be said about them all.

Key Takeaways

• A customer at a NSW Central Coast Coles store complained about a woman keeping a dog in her shopping trolley.
  • The customer expressed dissatisfaction with the staff's response, saying that the supervisor suggested the dog might be a service animal, despite it not having clear identification.
  • Many people responding online agreed with the customer's complaint, arguing that it was unhygienic to have a dog in a trolley. Others criticised the man for complaining about what they saw as a trivial issue.
  • Coles previously stated that only assistance and companion animals, which are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness, are welcome in stores. Ordinary pets are not permitted.

What do you think is the right call? Should pets be allowed in the grocery store, or should people leave their beloved fur friends at home? Weigh in your opinion in the comments below.
Absolutely ridiculous. These sad people need to remember that it is a DOG and has no place shopping. Bunnings is another store allowing this to occur.

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

Dogs, generally are not allowed near human food nor human food consumption. One of the original reasons for this was due to the devastating Hydatid parasite.

Link to information on hydatids - https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/...ymptoms of hydatid,become very large or break.

Hydatids were a major concern in my childhood but the official concern seems to have reduced lately. However, hydatids are still around in our environment. Bunnings shopping trolleys ore one thing, but anyone who carries their dog in a food carrying trolley is either ignorant or wilfully negligent about the safety of others.

Always wash your hands after handling animals.

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

Isn’t it sad that so many people lead such trivial lives that they would worry about this. Isn’t a small child in there just as ‘dirty’ as a little dog. Poor old fella must be depressed and looking for problems in his life.

what is the world coming to when you have got to whinge about a little dog sitting on bag in a trolley well behaved'its a pity society didnt control there kids let them run rampied in stores and the wingers worried about hygiene what about the shoppers who use toilets dont wash there hands and touch items and trolleys do you goody too shoes wake up every morning and think about what can i complain about today( get a life).

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

I agree with the service dog rules.

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

Nah I don’t think any animals should be riding in food trolleys… I’m outa there.
Same as I don’t buy plastic shopping bags but stack the groceries in the trolley cos I got banned from taking my own shopping bags to the store just cos it had Nappies written in neat writing on the side of each one.

Last edited:

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

The triviality of complaints in this forum are out of this world!
Is this man so perfect? Never breaks the rules? Someone should tell him to mind his own business. And has been said, clean the trolley with the wipes available.
He must not be an animal lover.

View attachment 30354

Key Takeaways

You may treat your dogs as part of your family but regardless of whether you do or not I do not want their dirty bums and feet, or their slobber or fur anywhere near my food - leave your dogs at home or outside the shop

Absolutely ridiculous. These sad people need to remember that it is a DOG and has no place shopping. Bunnings is another store allowing this to occur.
Bunnings isn't a food store, except for the cafe, where I have never seen a dog. It doesn't worry me.
I don't take my dogs shopping with me and don't think they should be allowed in food stores

Like a lot of things minor or not, is it ok if one or two break the rules? What is an acceptable number of people to not do the right thing?
We always say 'well what if everybody did that'. There'd be mayhem and things destroyed for many.
Just follow the rules!! They are there for everyone.
Side note: I've twice seen people bottle feeding joeys in a food court, and they were asked to leave. Why do they think it's ok in the first place?!