What did this Coles shopper do that had everyone debating?

Regular customers of Coles are generally aware of the retailer’s strict rules for in-store shopping.

However, those rules were apparently disregarded by one Coles customer on the NSW Central Coast, leaving a fellow shopper disgusted.

While browsing at a Coles store, the said customer noticed something unusual in the next aisle—a little chihuahua was snoozing away in a shopping trolley!

Upon this discovery, the customer then headed straight for customer service to enquire.

‘I asked the floor supervisor why this dog was allowed in store as well as in a trolley where people put food,’ the customer captioned along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

The supervisor told him it might be a service dog, however, the animal wore no clear identification, so the customer dismissed this.

compressed-image2.jpeg
A Coles shopper expressed his discontent over a chihuahua situated in one of their trolleys. Image Credit: Facebook.

‘So I asked if I was allowed to just walk in-store with my dog on a [leash], and she said, no, I am not. Nor am I allowed to put my dog in a trolley (which I agree with completely, by the way), but I was making a point.’

The customer then took to social media to share his ‘whinge’ about the incident, along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

Included in his post, the man said, 'The amount of animals allowed into Coles stores at the moment because staff aren’t allowed to approach them is beyond a joke.'

The post quickly gained attention online, with many people chiming in to agree that using trolleys to carry dogs was 'gross' and people should leave their ‘fur babies’ at home.

‘As if you want a dog's a** and drool and whatever else where you put your fruit and [vegetables]. Leave the mutt at home,’ one commented.

Another online user shared their sentiment that ‘little dogs get away with everything.’

However, not everyone agreed with the original complaint. There were some who argued this was a trivial issue not worth making a fuss about.

‘If you're that worried, get a disinfection wipe and wipe all over the trolley. I would much rather have an obedient dog in a trolley than some kid running around the shop,’ one stated.

Another person commented: ‘There's much more worse things happening in the world.’

A response from an assistance dog handler clarified what pets are allowed in Australian supermarkets.

They explained that assistance animals must be equipped with identification. In addition, service dogs were not permitted to sit in the trolley for hygienic purposes.

This was not the only case regarding pets being present inside the store. Last year another customer had been spotted with their pet at a checkout, and Coles had confirmed that was not permitted.

'Assistance and companion animals are welcome to accompany their owners in our stores if they are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness,' a Coles spokesperson said at the time.

'We do not allow for everyday pets or animals to enter our stores.'

It’s easy to forget that any pet in a public space has potential implications for public health and hygiene.

Dogs, like all animals (and humans, for that matter), are carriers of billions of microorganisms. While some of these microbes don't carry any disease, the same can't be said about them all.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer at a NSW Central Coast Coles store complained about a woman keeping a dog in her shopping trolley.
  • The customer expressed dissatisfaction with the staff's response, saying that the supervisor suggested the dog might be a service animal, despite it not having clear identification.
  • Many people responding online agreed with the customer's complaint, arguing that it was unhygienic to have a dog in a trolley. Others criticised the man for complaining about what they saw as a trivial issue.
  • Coles previously stated that only assistance and companion animals, which are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness, are welcome in stores. Ordinary pets are not permitted.

What do you think is the right call? Should pets be allowed in the grocery store, or should people leave their beloved fur friends at home? Weigh in your opinion in the comments below.

Sponsored
DID you actually read and understand what I wrote? name calling and accusations are so not warranted on this site If you did not see my point of view fine just scroll on by or at least ask for clarification before you accuse me of something that I am not
💤

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Dogs, generally are not allowed near human food nor human food consumption. One of the original reasons for this was due to the devastating Hydatid parasite.

Link to information on hydatids - https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/conditions/infectious+diseases/hydatid+disease/hydatid+disease+-+including+symptoms+treatment+and+prevention#:~:text=Signs and symptoms of hydatid,become very large or break.

Hydatids were a major concern in my childhood but the official concern seems to have reduced lately. However, hydatids are still around in our environment. Bunnings shopping trolleys ore one thing, but anyone who carries their dog in a food carrying trolley is either ignorant or wilfully negligent about the safety of others.

Always wash your hands after handling animals.
And certain humans that’s why I don’t shake hands especially men. Some men don’t clean thier hands when they shakey shakey thier 🐍 snakey snakey😂after the toilet.

Dogs, generally are not allowed near human food nor human food consumption. One of the original reasons for this was due to the devastating Hydatid parasite.

Link to information on hydatids - https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/conditions/infectious+diseases/hydatid+disease/hydatid+disease+-+including+symptoms+treatment+and+prevention#:~:text=Signs and symptoms of hydatid,become very large or break.

Hydatids were a major concern in my childhood but the official concern seems to have reduced lately. However, hydatids are still around in our environment. Bunnings shopping trolleys ore one thing, but anyone who carries their dog in a food carrying trolley is either ignorant or wilfully negligent about the safety of others.

Always wash your hands after handling animals.
I always wipe down a woolworths trollies with the disinfected towelling they have there

Dogs & children in food trolleys are definitely a health issue for me. O.K. to say dogs sit on mats but they do as mentioned above by other members.
Children walk on anything & everything with their shoes & those disposable nappies do leak.

Why should l have to carry a disposable disinfectant wipe with me because some people prefer to adopt these disgusting habits. Is there not enough disease being spread now through air borne diseases like flu without having to worry about the unsanitary habits of other people who have used a trolley?

COLES SHOULD BE STOPPING THIS PRACTICE FORTHWITH. THESE ARE NOT COMPANION DOGS, ARE NOT ON A LEAD & ARE IN WHAT SHOULD BE, IN A SENSE, A STERILE ENVIRONMENT!!! Further, Disinfectant Hand Cleaner should be made available at all times in a prominent place in a shop entrance for customer use. Use is optional of course, but health minded people will in all likelihood use this for their own health sake.

Yes, there are slobs who shop barefooted, but they don't stand in the trolley, wipe their backside on one or slobber on one, do they?

No good telling me to just wear it, grow up or stop whining because l have more pride & care about me & the welfare of people who use a trolley after me.

FOOD TROLLEYS ARE FOR FOOD ONLY & HARDWARE TROLLEYS ARE FOR HARDWARE ITEMS!!!!

Last edited:
Regular customers of Coles are generally aware of the retailer’s strict rules for in-store shopping.

However, those rules were apparently disregarded by one Coles customer on the NSW Central Coast, leaving a fellow shopper disgusted.

While browsing at a Coles store, the said customer noticed something unusual in the next aisle—a little chihuahua was snoozing away in a shopping trolley!

Upon this discovery, the customer then headed straight for customer service to enquire.

‘I asked the floor supervisor why this dog was allowed in store as well as in a trolley where people put food,’ the customer captioned along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

The supervisor told him it might be a service dog, however, the animal wore no clear identification, so the customer dismissed this.

View attachment 30354
A Coles shopper expressed his discontent over a chihuahua situated in one of their trolleys. Image Credit: Facebook.

‘So I asked if I was allowed to just walk in-store with my dog on a [leash], and she said, no, I am not. Nor am I allowed to put my dog in a trolley (which I agree with completely, by the way), but I was making a point.’

The customer then took to social media to share his ‘whinge’ about the incident, along with an image of the chihuahua in the trolley.

Included in his post, the man said, 'The amount of animals allowed into Coles stores at the moment because staff aren’t allowed to approach them is beyond a joke.'

The post quickly gained attention online, with many people chiming in to agree that using trolleys to carry dogs was 'gross' and people should leave their ‘fur babies’ at home.

‘As if you want a dog's a** and drool and whatever else where you put your fruit and [vegetables]. Leave the mutt at home,’ one commented.

Another online user shared their sentiment that ‘little dogs get away with everything.’

However, not everyone agreed with the original complaint. There were some who argued this was a trivial issue not worth making a fuss about.

‘If you're that worried, get a disinfection wipe and wipe all over the trolley. I would much rather have an obedient dog in a trolley than some kid running around the shop,’ one stated.

Another person commented: ‘There's much more worse things happening in the world.’

A response from an assistance dog handler clarified what pets are allowed in Australian supermarkets.

They explained that assistance animals must be equipped with identification. In addition, service dogs were not permitted to sit in the trolley for hygienic purposes.

This was not the only case regarding pets being present inside the store. Last year another customer had been spotted with their pet at a checkout, and Coles had confirmed that was not permitted.

'Assistance and companion animals are welcome to accompany their owners in our stores if they are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness,' a Coles spokesperson said at the time.

'We do not allow for everyday pets or animals to enter our stores.'

It’s easy to forget that any pet in a public space has potential implications for public health and hygiene.

Dogs, like all animals (and humans, for that matter), are carriers of billions of microorganisms. While some of these microbes don't carry any disease, the same can't be said about them all.

Key Takeaways

• A customer at a NSW Central Coast Coles store complained about a woman keeping a dog in her shopping trolley.
  • The customer expressed dissatisfaction with the staff's response, saying that the supervisor suggested the dog might be a service animal, despite it not having clear identification.
  • Many people responding online agreed with the customer's complaint, arguing that it was unhygienic to have a dog in a trolley. Others criticised the man for complaining about what they saw as a trivial issue.
  • Coles previously stated that only assistance and companion animals, which are clearly identified by a collar, coat or harness, are welcome in stores. Ordinary pets are not permitted.

What do you think is the right call? Should pets be allowed in the grocery store, or should people leave their beloved fur friends at home? Weigh in your opinion in the comments below.
First, I have a question.
Does the dog's microchip scan as a special buy?

Second, this reminds me of a woman I heard on a radio chat just this morning. The question was put out there about animals and children on planes. She said she has a 4 year old Labrador and 3 children under 10. She said if she had to pick which would be the best behaved passenger, she said hands down, her Lab. If she were to do a survey, other people on the plane would also say the Lab. If she were made to choose which she would take to travel, it would be the dog. Her children don't respond well to training using treats. Hilarious and very relatable.

On a serious note, I have not seen any dogs, apart from approved companions, anywhere near Coles, or in the shopping centres. If I did, I probably wouldn't complain. Some folk, particularly the aged, fret terribly knowing their little dog is at home crying because mummy or daddy were gone.
I have seen plenty at Bunnings, always on leads and sitting on blankies. I wear a mask and sanitise upon leaving. People are walking virus carriers with all their touching. I worry more about touching a product or shelf someone else has touched than I do about pushing a trolley that had a dog in it. Maybe I should, if the dog was the one pushing the trolley.

what is the world coming to when you have got to whinge about a little dog sitting on bag in a trolley well behaved'its a pity society didnt control there kids let them run rampied in stores and the wingers worried about hygiene what about the shoppers who use toilets dont wash there hands and touch items and trolleys do you goody too shoes wake up every morning and think about what can i complain about today( get a life).
Amen to that

First, I have a question.
Does the dog's microchip scan as a special buy?

Second, this reminds me of a woman I heard on a radio chat just this morning. The question was put out there about animals and children on planes. She said she has a 4 year old Labrador and 3 children under 10. She said if she had to pick which would be the best behaved passenger, she said hands down, her Lab. If she were to do a survey, other people on the plane would also say the Lab. If she were made to choose which she would take to travel, it would be the dog. Her children don't respond well to training using treats. Hilarious and very relatable.

On a serious note, I have not seen any dogs, apart from approved companions, anywhere near Coles, or in the shopping centres. If I did, I probably wouldn't complain. Some folk, particularly the aged, fret terribly knowing their little dog is at home crying because mummy or daddy were gone.
I have seen plenty at Bunnings, always on leads and sitting on blankies. I wear a mask and sanitise upon leaving. People are walking virus carriers with all their touching. I worry more about touching a product or shelf someone else has touched than I do about pushing a trolley that had a dog in it. Maybe I should, if the dog was the one pushing the trolley.
Well said - I like your thinking

Reactions: Littleboy8
The triviality of complaints in this forum are out of this world!
Is this man so perfect? Never breaks the rules? Someone should tell him to mind his own business. And has been said, clean the trolley with the wipes available.
He must not be an animal lover.
What about people shopping who have allergies 🤔 my daughter is allergic to both cats and dogs. She would give anything for a kaboodle but she can't.

Supermarkets, food shops are for people only . Should people take their cats, their mice into shops

What about people shopping who have allergies 🤔 my daughter is allergic to both cats and dogs. She would give anything for a kaboodle but she can't.

Supermarkets, food shops are for people only . Should people take their cats, their mice into shops
Kaboodles are hypoallergenic 🐶 they are recommended for people like her. She must be really bad in that case poor thing. She must walk around with a permanent face mask on. 😿

I take my snake everywhere I go. No....that's a fib.

Would you believe an inchworm then?

I have taken my cat into an IGA in Bundaberg after she was desexed. I was told by the female shop assistant that Dora wasn't allowed in the shop. I told her that was my "seeing eye cat" to which she replied "Oh...OK" and went on her merry way. So funny!
I suppose she thought the cat told you what you were looking at on the shelves? 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose
Kaboodles are hypoallergenic 🐶 they are recommended for people like her. She must be really bad in that case poor thing. She must walk around with a permanent face mask on. 😿
Pretty much she is my youngest , and is under a lung doctor ,he wanted to give her injections but after speaking to his colleges they decided she was too young as once they start you can't stop she will be on them for life and could be bad for her heart at her age, other words there has been enough trials for her age group.

She is on 6 different medications.
She has so many allergies it's not funny. She is anaphylactic to all nuts not just peanut, all seafood including fish, I once cooked a lot of seafood, I was having people over and she was sitting in the next room and her lips and eyes swelled up and she started having trouble breathing and off to the hospital we went. Yes she does have an epi pen.

Because of the medication she is on she has now put weight on .

She is first year at uni doing nursing and during her last work placement , she worked in the geriatric ward with mostly lung infections so she knew exactly what they were feeling. She caught covid from one of the patients

My son had given my granddaughter a Kaboodle for her birthday last year and she is never home , he offered it to my daughter , he paid close to $4000 for it

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
I take my snake everywhere I go. No....that's a fib.

Would you believe an inchworm then?
I just read a story about a woman who had a python snake and it would sleep in her bed every night curled around her.
Then she noticed it stopped eating and she took it to the vet.

The vet checked it out, then x rayed it to find its stomach was completely empty what then told her was he was preparing for his biggest meal ....her.

So she got rid of it , gave it to an exotic animal welfare society.

True story

Reactions: Ezzy and Littleboy8
Pretty much she is my youngest , and is under a lung doctor ,he wanted to give her injections but after speaking to his colleges they decided she was too young as once they start you can't stop she will be on them for life and could be bad for her heart at her age, other words there has been enough trials for her age group.

She has so many allergies it's not funny. She is anaphylactic to all nuts not just peanut, all seafood including fish, I once cooked a lot of seafood, I was having people over and she was sitting in the next room and her lips and eyes swelled up and she started having trouble breathing and off to the hospital we went. Yes she does have an epi pen.

She is first year at uni doing nursing and during her last work placement , she worked in the geriatric ward with mostly lung infections so she knew exactly what they were feeling. She caught covid from one of the patients

My son had given my granddaughter a Kaboodle for her birthday last year and she is never home , he offered it to my daughter , he paid close to $4000 for
I just read a story about a woman who had a python snake and it would sleep in her bed every night curled around her.
Then she noticed it stopped eating and she took it to the vet.

The vet checked it out, then x rayed it to find its stomach was completely empty what then told her was he was preparing for his biggest meal ....her.

So she got rid of it , gave it to an exotic animal welfare society.

True story
Remember the chimp in America that went psycho it doesn’t pay to keep animals like those🙀

Reactions: Ezzy

My son had given my granddaughter a Kaboodle for her birthday last year and she is never home , he offered it to my daughter , he paid close to $4000 for it
You must be so proud of her after all she’s gone through and all she’s going through at the moment she sounds like an amazing young woman. 🤗

You must be so proud of her after all she’s gone through and all she’s going through at the moment she sounds like an amazing young woman. 🤗
I am very proud of her, she loves helping people and she feels by being a nurse she can do that. She will specialise in paediatric nursing.
It's sad , six of my daughters and one granddaughter has their own indoor soccer team but she has to sit and watch. If she runs she will have asthma, if she has a laughing fit , she will have asthma

We found a breathing course and she us finding it's helping but it's early days. Our goal is to get her off the medication including prednisone

I am guessing the people who think this is ok are the ones that put their dogs in their trollies. TERRIBLE. Leave them at home. Wonder if they would take them into a resteraunt to eat.