I am grateful this year for the survival of my husband of 64 years after he had a haemoragic stroke. I’m also very grateful for my family who have supported us this past year. My husband has trouble with his memory but we enjoy every day as much as we can and make the most of the extra time together we have been given. We are very lucky.

What are you grateful for this year?

This year I am grateful for all the new friends I have made. Believe it or not, I’m quite a shy introvert so I have always struggled to make friends, especially in adulthood, but this year has been different. I have put myself out of my comfort zone multiple times so I have been forced to make connections and form new friendships. This year, I brought so many incredible people in my life and I feel truly blessed to be surrounded by each and every one of them. I am so grateful to each and every one of my friends and all that they teach me on a daily basis – including each and everyone of you.

So please, if you feel comfortable in doing so, I'd love to read what you're grateful for in the comments below! :)
I am grateful for having a wonderful daughter who made it possible for her, myself and my grandchildren to have a family Christmas with my sister and her family in South Africa. We hadn’t seen that side of the family for years and it has been very special.

This year I am grateful for all the new friends I have made. Believe it or not, I’m quite a shy introvert so I have always struggled to make friends, especially in adulthood, but this year has been different. I have put myself out of my comfort zone multiple times so I have been forced to make connections and form new friendships. This year, I brought so many incredible people in my life and I feel truly blessed to be surrounded by each and every one of them. I am so grateful to each and every one of my friends and all that they teach me on a daily basis – including each and everyone of you.

So please, if you feel comfortable in doing so, I'd love to read what you're grateful for in the comments below! :)
I am so grateful for finding the right retirement village, the perfect unit for us, the amount of space it has, being able to build a small pergola that we are spending lots of time under, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 2 car garage and to top it off fully renovated. The people in our street of 10 units are becoming friends, all the other residents are very friendly and we are getting to know them. So pleased we didn’t wait till we are older, for us 70 was the right age to move, now we are still young enough to lock up and travel.

Great year almost, BUT my birthday was 23/12 and when i looked for my next birthday, I realised I had to wait a whole 366 days to my next birthday.

There are so many things that I am grateful for, I joined a crochet group ear em and they have been such wonderful ladies that I now count as my friends , I’m grateful that even at my age (67) I can still make new friends that enrich my life, also my family and especially my husband who agreed to me going on a wonderful cruise and holiday with a girlfriend to Europe for the Christmas markets, a wonderful holiday from which I have great memories to treasure . I am very blessed

Top of my list of things that I am grateful for is that I am here at last in Australia. I came out here first in the 6o's and immediately knew that this is where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, my then husband did not and, since he had control of the decision making and the money we had to return with him to UK . My children were still school age then, but when they became adult, they both decided to return to Australia. I was now divorced and in a well paid job. I had to wait until I retired before I could make the move.
I wished that I had obtained an Australian Passport while I was here - not realising how much easier things would be for me when I finally returned - if I had done so!.
I came out here under the Aged Parent Visa, not knowing that it would take the Immigration Department forever to grant me full residency status. I will probably still be here as a Temporary Resident when I die!
Next on my list is of course my ongoing good health. At age 89 years, every day is a blessing and gives me another day to enjoy my life here with my children.
Regrets are few, but mainly centre on the friends that I have made over so many years that are now so far away in UK and Europe. It is much harder to make friends in your later years.
Finally, I am s-o-o grateful for air conditioning! Here in WA, temperatures have been in the high 30's for weeks. Life without it would be very uncomfortable!

I've also been fortunate to have my cat in my life. When my little dog, Rexy, died in 2018, I was heartbroken. He was 17. My youngest son, a month later, came home with a cardboard carrier - out popped Chloe, a nine month old kitten. Some of you may be familiar with my postings about her and her tall tales. This little psychopath has brought with her a mix of challenges and love - and I love her to bits. I also give thanks every day for my three sons as well as my extended family. It's been sixteen years now since I was widowed suddenly, but with their support I keep 'head above water'. I count myself blessed. 😊

View attachment 38328Your Chloe is gorgeous and a beautiful torty. They get into lots of mischief but their love is unconditional. I had a torty three cats ago and it was always fun.

Top of my list of things that I am grateful for is that I am here at last in Australia. I came out here first in the 6o's and immediately knew that this is where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. Unfortunately, my then husband did not and, since he had control of the decision making and the money we had to return with him to UK . My children were still school age then, but when they became adult, they both decided to return to Australia. I was now divorced and in a well paid job. I had to wait until I retired before I could make the move.
I wished that I had obtained an Australian Passport while I was here - not realising how much easier things would be for me when I finally returned - if I had done so!.
I came out here under the Aged Parent Visa, not knowing that it would take the Immigration Department forever to grant me full residency status. I will probably still be here as a Temporary Resident when I die!
Next on my list is of course my ongoing good health. At age 89 years, every day is a blessing and gives me another day to enjoy my life here with my children.
Regrets are few, but mainly centre on the friends that I have made over so many years that are now so far away in UK and Europe. It is much harder to make friends in your later years.
Finally, I am s-o-o grateful for air conditioning! Here in WA, temperatures have been in the high 30's for weeks. Life without it would be very uncomfortable!
I do hope you get permanent residency.

I’m grateful for the fact that our dear 97 year old Mum was only really unwell and in intensive care for a couple of days before she died. After a diagnosis, in February this year, of an 8cm aneurysm on her aorta, she was still able to continue with close to normal activity up until only a few weeks before she went into care.

I am grateful for my children who have supported me over the last year's through trials of bad relationship and the the loss of My mother in September last year 22. I am grateful for my father who turns 91, 6/01/24. He has been awesome and he misses Mum terribly after 70+ years of marriage. He is an inspiration and as daughters we look after him in his home. Family is everything and means so much..

I am grateful for my husband being able to fly back home from New Zealand. He was in a nursing home for the last 4 years. Initially he couldn't come home because of Covid and the closed borders. And when the borders opened, he had Deep Vein Thrombosis in both his legs and could not fly back when the borders opened. But with the right treatment and compression stockings he was able to fly back home 2 weeks ago. Just in time for Christmas.

Fingers crossed, Pam, that you get permanent residency soon. I also came here from England - over sixty years ago. I was just a little girl and when we emigrated here it was through the Assisted Passage Scheme and so we automatically had permanent residency. Coincidentally, last month I helped my son and his new wife by being a referee on her application for permanent residency. She is from Hong Kong. I'm in Melbourne, where temperatures are relatively mild compared to W.A. but I'm such a wuss - couldn't be without my air conditioning!😆

Fingers crossed, Pam, that you get permanent residency soon. I also came here from England - over sixty years ago. I was just a little girl and when we emigrated here it was through the Assisted Passage Scheme and so we automatically had permanent residency. Coincidentally, last month I helped my son and his new wife by being a referee on her application for permanent residency. She is from Hong Kong. I'm in Melbourne, where temperatures are relatively mild compared to W.A. but I'm such a wuss - couldn't be without my air conditioning!😆
I hear that. From Melbourne also

Reactions: HappyPam
I am so grateful to have had an addition to the family a grandson born in August and his big sister who is 6 are a delight to me as I lost my husband sadly on 25th Nov and moreover another 4 members of family and friends. Unfortunately been a sad year but life has to carry on with the grace of our Lord. Happy and healthy New year 2024 to you all xxx

I had a malignant tumor in my kidney and had the kidney removed, with major complications following the surgery, but the cancer hadn't spread and I didn't need any further treatment. I had the most amazing doctors and nurses, and all the other hospital staff, who helped my recovery, and I'm still here! I am so grateful for all those who helped me, and my family as well; my daughters have been equally amazing, and my sister and her husband came down from Queensland for a week to visit while I was in hospital - added bonus!

I am so grateful to have had an addition to the family a grandson born in August and his big sister who is 6 are a delight to me as I lost my husband sadly on 25th Nov and moreover another 4 members of family and friends. Unfortunately been a sad year but life has to carry on with the grace of our Lord. Happy and healthy New year 2024 to you all xxx
Sorry to hear :cry:

Reactions: Littleboy8
I had a malignant tumor in my kidney and had the kidney removed, with major complications following the surgery, but the cancer hadn't spread and I didn't need any further treatment. I had the most amazing doctors and nurses, and all the other hospital staff, who helped my recovery, and I'm still here! I am so grateful for all those who helped me, and my family as well; my daughters have been equally amazing, and my sister and her husband came down from Queensland for a week to visit while I was in hospital - added bonus!
You are brave person

Reactions: Liag and Observer