What are the big lies Aussies are all in on? An American expat reveals all!

Australians are known for their laid-back nature, love of the outdoors, and unique sense of humour that often leaves foreigners scratching their heads.

Now, an American expat living has taken to social media to call out a peculiar Aussie behaviour that has left her both amused and bewildered.

Emily Tollefson, originally from Minnesota, USA, has been living in Sydney and recently shared her observations in a video that has since gone viral.

The video, viewed over half a million times, revealed what she calls the 'big lie' Australians seem to be in on.

Screenshot 2023-11-30 104327.png
An American expat called out Aussies for lying to tourists. Credit: @emilytollefson/TikTok

'One thing I've become very aware of since living in Australia is just how much Australians love to lie,' Tollefson said.

She quickly clarified, 'I don't at all mean it in a way like “Oh, they're all liars”. I love Australians, but they just love to troll people who aren't from Australia.'

According to Tollefson, Australians have a knack for spinning tall tales, especially for unsuspecting tourists.

From stories about riding kangaroos to school to the infamous 'drop bear' myth, Aussies seem to take great delight in pulling the wool over the eyes of foreigners.

For the unfamiliar, a ‘drop bear’ is a fictional creature from Australian folklore, often described as a large, predatory version of the koala. This myth is commonly used tongue-in-cheek to scare or playfully deceive tourists and newcomers to the country.

In most countries, locals will correct a tourist if they say something wrong or have a misconception about the country.

However, Australians, Tollefson says, see it as an opportunity to spin a yarn and add to the confusion.

'Australians will not only validate your misinformation, but they'll add ridiculous facts on top of it. They'll lie just about anything; food, politics, geography, animals,' she said.

The American expat also pointed out that Australia's unique and often intimidating wildlife adds to the intrigue.

'You depend on Australians to tell you the truth about snakes, spiders, koalas, kangaroos, all the things—but no, they like to scare tourists and spread lies,' she laughed.

‘And it’s not restricted to one area, it’s a national thing that Australians seem to like to troll tourists,’ she added.

Tollefson's video sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who seemed to take great pride in this national pastime.

Some even shared their own made-up facts about Australia, further adding to the hilarity.

‘Drop Bears are not real, but you do have to be careful of cave Kangaroos. I got attacked by one while working down in the Vegemite mines!’ one social media user commented.

‘Wait who the h*** is telling you drop bears aren’t real?’ another asked.

‘Just last week, I witnessed my first drop bear-hoop snake fight, and it was literally terrifying, traumatised for life,’ a third one wrote.

Other Australians confirmed that it is considered ‘a national sport’ or ‘the unspoken rule of being an Australian’.

‘Not because we love to lie, because we are deeply hilarious,’ someone explained.

‘And I love that we all just collectively decided to do this without any real organisation,’ another said.

So, if a foreigner is visiting Australia or planning to move there, they must be prepared for some good-natured ribbing and some truly outlandish stories.

You can watch her video here:

Key Takeaways
  • An American expat has gained viral attention for commenting on Australians' behaviour of making up stories of messing with tourists.
  • Emily Tollefson, originally from Minnesota, USA, and now living in Sydney, shared her thoughts in a popular video.
  • She said that rather than correcting misconceptions, Australians often add to them for their own amusement across various topics, including food, politics, geography, and native animals.
  • The video sparked a multitude of responses, with some Australians adding more false claims for humour, while others described the behaviour as more about being playful and having some fun rather than outright deception.

What do you think, members? Have you ever spun a tall tale to a foreigner or been on the receiving end of one? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
Australians are known for their laid-back nature, love of the outdoors, and unique sense of humour that often leaves foreigners scratching their heads.

Now, an American expat living has taken to social media to call out a peculiar Aussie behaviour that has left her both amused and bewildered.

Emily Tollefson, originally from Minnesota, USA, has been living in Sydney and recently shared her observations in a video that has since gone viral.

The video, viewed over half a million times, revealed what she calls the 'big lie' Australians seem to be in on.

View attachment 36218
An American expat called out Aussies for lying to tourists. Credit: @emilytollefson/TikTok

'One thing I've become very aware of since living in Australia is just how much Australians love to lie,' Tollefson said.

She quickly clarified, 'I don't at all mean it in a way like “Oh, they're all liars”. I love Australians, but they just love to troll people who aren't from Australia.'

According to Tollefson, Australians have a knack for spinning tall tales, especially for unsuspecting tourists.

From stories about riding kangaroos to school to the infamous 'drop bear' myth, Aussies seem to take great delight in pulling the wool over the eyes of foreigners.

For the unfamiliar, a ‘drop bear’ is a fictional creature from Australian folklore, often described as a large, predatory version of the koala. This myth is commonly used tongue-in-cheek to scare or playfully deceive tourists and newcomers to the country.

In most countries, locals will correct a tourist if they say something wrong or have a misconception about the country.

However, Australians, Tollefson says, see it as an opportunity to spin a yarn and add to the confusion.

'Australians will not only validate your misinformation, but they'll add ridiculous facts on top of it. They'll lie just about anything; food, politics, geography, animals,' she said.

The American expat also pointed out that Australia's unique and often intimidating wildlife adds to the intrigue.

'You depend on Australians to tell you the truth about snakes, spiders, koalas, kangaroos, all the things—but no, they like to scare tourists and spread lies,' she laughed.

‘And it’s not restricted to one area, it’s a national thing that Australians seem to like to troll tourists,’ she added.

Tollefson's video sparked a flurry of responses from Australians who seemed to take great pride in this national pastime.

Some even shared their own made-up facts about Australia, further adding to the hilarity.

‘Drop Bears are not real, but you do have to be careful of cave Kangaroos. I got attacked by one while working down in the Vegemite mines!’ one social media user commented.

‘Just last week, I witnessed my first drop bear-hoop snake fight, and it was literally terrifying, traumatised for life,’ a third one wrote.

Other Australians confirmed that it is considered ‘a national sport’ or ‘the unspoken rule of being an Australian’.

‘Not because we love to lie, because we are deeply hilarious,’ someone explained.

‘And I love that we all just collectively decided to do this without any real organisation,’ another said.

So, if a foreigner is visiting Australia or planning to move there, they must be prepared for some good-natured ribbing and some truly outlandish stories.

Key Takeaways

• An American expat has gained viral attention for commenting on Australians' behaviour of making up stories of messing with tourists.
  • Emily Tollefson, originally from Minnesota, USA, and now living in Sydney, shared her thoughts in a popular video.
  • She said that rather than correcting misconceptions, Australians often add to them for their own amusement across various topics, including food, politics, geography, and native animals.
  • The video sparked a multitude of responses, with some Australians adding more false claims for humour, while others described the behaviour as more about being playful and having some fun rather than outright deception.

What do you think, members? Have you ever spun a tall tale to a foreigner or been on the receiving end of one? Share your stories in the comments below!

Drop bears are not fictional.I actually had one drop on me last week while I was riding my Kangaroo

View attachment 36218

Key Takeaways

What planet is she on ? Seriously I'm as Aussie as they come and I have never know or heard of a drop bear and have never heard anyone saying they ride kangaroos .

We Aussies don't lie but we do pull a leg or two , if someone appears dicile like this woman then I have known a few to play it up.
Difference between lying and having fun

I wonder if Aussie tourists get on social media in overseas countries and carry on about their weird ways, all to get 5 minutes of fame on social media. Now I’m off to go for my daily ride on my emu. Hahaha.

View attachment 36218

Key Takeaways

I haven’t, but my late husband who served in the Royal Australian Navy, said that our sailors used to tell those on visiting ships (especially Americans) that the Sydney Harbour Bridge would be closed down at 5pm on Fridays to allow the kangaroos to jump across.

Like, seriously.... just take a look at this sheila.
She's got two strikes against her, up front.
Three, if you also include being a blonde.....

Top marks, in the meantime to the commentator who said "Drop Bears are not real, but you do have to be careful of Cave Kangaroos. I got attacked by one while working down in the Vegemite mines!’

View attachment 36218

Key Takeaways

This is the first I’ve ever heard of a DROP BEAR & I’m 69yrs old born in Australia. I find it very FUNNY & HUMOROUS. I’ve heard PORKIES told by people from other Countries & just get a laugh out of it after all they say LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine. Hahaha

• Wow
Reactions: magpie1
I've lived in Australia for 33 years now and I've heard of Drop Bears, but not of the cave kangaroos. I'll keep and eye out for them next time I go caving, thanks for the tip off.

I guess she has not visited Ireland, yet. Thinking Blarney Stone an Leprechauns.

And I recall getting a lot of dubious stories about haunted houses in England and Scotland, and fairies in Wales.

Then I learned a lot about Outlaws in the Western half of the U.S. that you won't find in the history books.

And the French have some interesting tales about amazing love miracles in Paris.... Etc... Etc.

Bye the way, did you know that when an Australian kisses the Blarney Stone it grows larger?

Would I lie to you....

What planet is she on ? Seriously I'm as Aussie as they come and I have never know or heard of a drop bear and have never heard anyone saying they ride kangaroos .

We Aussies don't lie but we do pull a leg or two , if someone appears dicile like this woman then I have known a few to play it up.
Difference between lying and having fun
agree. Never heard any of this. And really it's foreigners, and especially the Americans, who come and ask crazy questions and expect us to be riding kangaroos. For pity sake check your facts/research. Guess there are some Aussies who have just become so sick of the ridiculous questions and comments. I've lived her 6 + decades.

Reactions: magpie1
Many years ago I was in a MSN group which consisted of manly Americans, a few Canadians and two Aussies.
The questions that would be asked to us Aussies was sometimes beyond ridiculous. I actually remember being asked do people ride on kangaroos and actually thought kangaroos were hoping around everywhere including in the cities .
They also thought Aussies drank beer all day.

I think they actually come here thinking these strange ideas 💡

agree. Never heard any of this. And really it's foreigners, and especially the Americans, who come and ask crazy questions and expect us to be riding kangaroos. For pity sake check your facts/research. Guess there are some Aussies who have just become so sick of the ridiculous questions and comments. I've lived her 6 + decades.
Aussies aren’t the only ones who like to take the piss out of foreigners. Some places are just more subtle. 😉

Reactions: Jennie
Many years ago I was in a MSN group which consisted of manly Americans, a few Canadians and two Aussies.
The questions that would be asked to us Aussies was sometimes beyond ridiculous. I actually remember being asked do people ride on kangaroos and actually thought kangaroos were hoping around everywhere including in the cities .
They also thought Aussies drank beer all day.

I think they actually come here thinking these strange ideas 💡
I'm sure that in the Outback there would be someone who has been drinking beer all day and then wandered off to try and catch a kangaroo to ride home on......guarantee it. Take me home Skippyeeee. 🤣🤣🤣😉