SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
What are some of your best tips for a sick pet?

Hi, members! If you're here, then chances are you stumbled upon my update on Tootsie. Unfortunately, he tested positive for Feline Herpes Virus. I wish I knew the symptoms early on so I could have prevented it, but since Tootsie is my first cat and I've only had him for a year or so, I'm still learning plenty of new things about him as well as cats in general as I go.

Anyhow, Tootsie's mood has gone down the drain, and lately, all he has been doing is sleeping - which makes sense as he needs plenty of rest. But I was wondering, how can I make him feel a little better every day? I know cats are sensitive, so having to force them to drink several medicines and vitamins daily can take quite a toll on them. And if you add the clinical tests he had to undergo - I guess you can say that this week has been VERY rough on him emotionally.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 2.11.27 PM.png
Source: Pexels

I love this cat more than anything, so any advice you have up your sleeve would be of great help to me. If you can share how you personally coped through a difficult time like this too, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, fabulous pet owners!

Last edited:
I have a Dashie, and for some reason at one stage he became lethargic and depressed. I showered him with attention, even took him to Bunnings. Well, it took a couple of weeks for him to realise that he was much loved. That was 5 years ago and he's been happy and very loud ever since. Bunnings, they're more than just a hardware store!

I understand exactly how you feel about your sick Tootsie. They are as valuable as our children and I see no shame in admitting that. I have a 15 year old moggie who, until six months ago, had never had a day's illness. Then, he became very lethargic didn't eat and was clearly very unwell. I took him to the vet who diagnosed kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. He's been on daily medication and a prescription diet ever since (at huge cost but who cares!) and is now back to his old self. Don't despair, Apart from his prescription diet, my cat (Oscar Wilde) LOVES slightly warmed up roast chicken (cooked from Coles) and the vet says this is fine. Lots of Love. 🐾🐾❤️❤️

I feel for you Sethia as it's a difficult time for both of you. He's a beautiful cat. I have dogs but when they are sick I just make sure I'm always around, give them plenty of cuddles and make sure they are comfy. Medications have always been a battle but we get through it. I'm sure he'll get through it and be back to his normal Tootsie self before long. Hugs to you. 💜

Sorry to hear Tootsie is sick. I've heard it's a miserable virus for them.
Cats dislike Vet visits, so I'm sure Tootsie has the same fellow feeling.
We have one 12 yr old cat.
Hope Tootsie is on the mend soon. 🐈‍⬛💙

my wee Maltese is 17 in human years, has had a couple of issues, but I have decided no more as she is petrified of vets -she will tell me when the time has come & I will have a holistic vet come to home to do the deed required - however much it will break my heart ( as there is just the2 of us) it is what I also want for myself. Sethia, best wishes to you both & hope the next couple of days work out just fine xx

Just love them as much as you can because you know they are only on loan to us these creatures come into our lives and make us better people. They can look at you and make you smile when you are down, laugh when you are trying to be mad at them and cry when we lose them. And I'm still crying now, every time I try and think about my gentle giant who went too soon, but we still have his sister and she misses him too. So take good care of your fur babies, we have been privileged to have a few outstanding fur babies who hung around longer than the two legged ones, and they hung around for a while but unfortunately us for Goose's stay was too short and we miss him everyday. Sethia, keep on loving your fur baby and she will love you back I'm sure, even if she is a cat.

Attachments

• Goose and Nova.jpeg
    Goose and Nova.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Penny4 and Bianca
Poor Tootsie - yes the vet is a nightmare for most cats and medications are hard to give - he looks like a gorgeous boy, and I hope he will soon be on the mend.
I had a very fussy girl who wouldn’t eat normal cat food- but eventually she settled on a mix of home cooked mashed pumpkin ( no seasoning at all) mixed with soft kitten food and a pinch of nutritional yeast for coat and eyes- I made into a mush with boiling water added to create some aroma. She did very well on it for 6 years but sadly passed last by month, I miss her terribly.
In the beginning I used to put the mush on my finger and she would lick it off then start eating from the bowl.
Blessings to you and Tootsie 🐾🐾

Reactions: Penny4 and Bianca
My Sasha is waiting to have her dinner. I told her about Tootsie. ;) We lost our other cat a while ago, so she gets all the attention now. She has a bit of arthritis in her back leg, so I give her anti inflammatories if it gets sore. She's so good with medication, and has it with her meals.

Attachments

• 2023 S .jpg
    2023 S .jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
Having experienced many traumas with pets it is heart breaking, but nothing is as good as chatting to the pets, watch the eyes and give cuddles and patting...they pull energy from from some where

Reactions: Penny4
What are some of your best tips for a sick pet?

Hi, members! If you're here, then chances are you stumbled upon my update on Tootsie. Unfortunately, he tested positive for Feline Herpes Virus. I wish I knew the symptoms early on so I could have prevented it, but since Tootsie is my first cat and I've only had him for a year or so, I'm still learning plenty of new things about him as well as cats in general as I go.

Anyhow, Tootsie's mood has gone down the drain, and lately, all he has been doing is sleeping - which makes sense as he needs plenty of rest. But I was wondering, how can I make him feel a little better every day? I know cats are sensitive, so having to force them to drink several medicines and vitamins daily can take quite a toll on them. And if you add the clinical tests he had to undergo - I guess you can say that this week has been VERY rough on him emotionally.

View attachment 18466
Source: Pexels

I love this cat more than anything, so any advice you have up your sleeve would be of great help to me. If you can share how you personally coped through a difficult time like this too, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, fabulous pet owners!
A few years ago our twenty year old puss was bitten by a redback spider and was very poorly for a few days. We took her to the vet and he gave her an injection to help her overcome the toxin. It took a few days of love and pampering and then she was back to her beautiful self. She left us a year later just after her 21st birthday. We now have two tiny three month old ragamuffins, and the smallest one was off colour on Monday. They were spayed by the vet the week before. We took her back and the vet said she had a slight infection and gave her some antibiotics. The next day she was back to racing around with her sister and trying to wrestle each other to the death ;o), then they curl up together and sleep it off. Hope Tootsie is feeling much better very soon, they are such precious family members xxx

Reactions: Penny4
I don't have a pet - I was deemed an inappropriate owner for (a) a dog as I didn't have a yard and due to medical reasons wouldn't be able to give it enough exercise so was discouraged from all directions, and (b) a cat, because some of my houseplants were poisonous to cats and I would need to get rid of them before I would be deemed suitable for adopting. At 85 y.o. and having raised 3 children, 7 grandchildren numerous cats and dogs and never poisoned one of them I surrendered to the "woke" rules and accepted God didn't want me to have a pet, which would have been a win/win lovewise for both me and the pet.
Notwithstanding, I will say a little prayer for Tootsie...pets are alot like little children and often "bounce" back very quickly.