What’s the origin of your name?

Why, hello there! If you're here, then chances are you're keen to join us for this week's get-to-know-each-other session. And as you may already know, the question is... What's the origin of your name?

It's quite funny, but plenty of members actually get my name, Sethia, wrong often! But don't worry, it's never a big deal to me when it does happen as I do think it's a pretty unusual name to have as well... And I have no one else but my parents to blame (I'm kidding). I sometimes get called Serbia, Cynthia, Sophia, and even Crystal in real life! :ROFLMAO: And this question always comes up in introductions, so I'm here to share the story. When my mum was pregnant with me, she fell in love with Nicholas Cage's character in the City of Angels, who was named 'Seth'.

View attachment 16950
Nicholas Cage played 'Seth' in City of Angels. Source: ELLE

So, yes... She was hoping I would be a boy. Then, she unexpectedly gave birth to a little girl. Being the little rebel that I am - I completely caught her off guard, and they had to come up with a name that was a little more feminine. In the end, they just decided to add a letter 'i' and 'a' at the end of 'Seth'. And alas, that's how my name came about! How about you? I'd love to hear the story behind your name too.

Please feel free to tell us all about your name's origin in the comments below. We're looking forward to hearing from you! :love:
When I was born, Helen was not my mum's first choice, but being new to Australia and not knowing the language the nurses didn't understand her,I was supposed to be called Out after my grandmother's, but again language barrier,there was a nurse called Helen looking after Mum who was very kind and understanding of my mum's problem,so when they asked again "baby's name Mum pointed at Nurse Helen and that's how I got my name 🙂

Reactions: Ricci
My name is actually Suzanne and middle name is Rose. I was named after our family doctor who also delivered me. Her name was Suzanne and Roses were my grandmother's favourite flower that's where Rose came from. Which I also gave as a middle name to one of my daughters.

I get called Suzanne , also Sue and Suzy from family members

Hubby is Greek and only ever calls me Sula he has done this since I was 18.

The doctor who delivered me was my doctor until I was around 25. I think she was Scandinavian and she was called Foofie by her family and that's what she called me

My grandparents are Irish and English

Last edited:
Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci

Why, hello there! If you're here, then chances are you're keen to join us for this week's get-to-know-each-other session. And as you may already know, the question is... What's the origin of your name?

It's quite funny, but plenty of members actually get my name, Sethia, wrong often! But don't worry, it's never a big deal to me when it does happen as I do think it's a pretty unusual name to have as well... And I have no one else but my parents to blame (I'm kidding). I sometimes get called Serbia, Cynthia, Sophia, and even Crystal in real life! :ROFLMAO: And this question always comes up in introductions, so I'm here to share the story. When my mum was pregnant with me, she fell in love with Nicholas Cage's character in the City of Angels, who was named 'Seth'.

View attachment 16950

So, yes... She was hoping I would be a boy. Then, she unexpectedly gave birth to a little girl. Being the little rebel that I am - I completely caught her off guard, and they had to come up with a name that was a little more feminine. In the end, they just decided to add a letter 'i' and 'a' at the end of 'Seth'. And alas, that's how my name came about! How about you? I'd love to hear the story behind your name too.

Please feel free to tell us all about your name's origin in the comments below. We're looking forward to hearing from you! :love:
My actual name is Rusty-anne, I'm decended from the race of Tinker's, apart from that, I reckon Mum really wanted a dog...not a daughter...Have no clue...

View attachment 16950

My name is grace after my auntie and hazel after her best friend. Sadly mum didn’t choose the names but they asked to have their names dumped on me. 40,s and 50,s never knew another grace and less said about hazel the better.

My name is grace after my auntie and hazel after her best friend. Sadly mum didn’t choose the names but they asked to have their names dumped on me. 40,s and 50,s never knew another grace and less said about hazel the better.
Grace is actually a beautiful name ,
My granddaughter was going to be called either Grace or Hope and Hope won but not by much

My name was going to be Vera after my grandmother, if I was a girl. Luckily my dad registered me, called me Gwenda, after an old girlfriend my mum reckoned. Second name Sheril due to the fact he couldnt spell but I like it spelt that way. He named my sister Pamula Denice, once again he couldn’t spell, meant to be Pamela Denise. I have only met a handful of other Gwendas in my life, most are Gwen or Gwendolyn. I don’t like to be called Gwen and let people know and if they call me Gwen again I ignore them, when they query me I say “sorry, didn’t realise you were talking to me, my name is Gwenda, not Gwen.

My name is Annette, French for Ann. My mother's maiden name was Rosier also French although they lived in the UK. My father's surname was Walling I am guessing our ancestors built walls.

Dennis - I was named quite appropriately as the meaning is God of Wine, yes I worked in a vineyard !! It is of Greek origin.
Susan - I love the meaning as I have adjusted it from: Lily; White Lily; Graceful Lily; Lily of the Valley to Graceful White Lily of the Valley !! It is of Hebrew origin.
Our daughter whose names we won't mention; her first name means Hope (Russian) and middle name means Mercy (Spanish) !!
Our surname stems from Great Britain - the Village Green !! Where the villagers all used to gather for news and gossip.

View attachment 16950

:love:rnish

Rather like it now. An American friend named her children faith hope and charity, then a little surprise popped up and she was called Grace.
Four beautiful names. If my daughter has another daughter it will be Grace , it's also the name of her best friend whom she has been best friend since year 7 and was my daughters Maid Of Honour. They are now 32 and still best friends

Wow! Both my Grandmothers were Margarets and my Mother was Mary, so I was registered Margaret Mary.
When it came to my baptism the priest used the Latin and Mum heard Marguerita Maria for the first time and decided that I would be called Marguerita. Dad was 6'4" and Mum 5'10", so I grew to be tall and thank goodness when I was in High School the Beatles revived Long Tall Sally and I got Sally as a knickname.
Many people do not know my real name

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
My first name is Leonie and is from Latin origin, meaning lion. I don't feel like a roaring lion!