Wedding NEARLY RUINED after groom’s dad makes a harsh announcement

One of the biggest, if not the biggest, milestones in one's lifetime is a wedding day. We spend several months planning everything to make the day memorable because it's the ultimate declaration of love for the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. However, with so much pressure for the day to go right, so much can go wrong.

A groom has taken to Reddit to ask for advice, claiming his bride is ‘heartless’ for getting enraged when his father shamelessly decided to make a harsh announcement on their wedding day.

He starts off the post saying: "My beautiful wife and I got married a few weeks ago and she’s still annoyed with me about this situation…”

"My dad asked my mom for a divorce at the wedding, which I get is pretty messed up, but my mom's very reserved in public. I heard them fighting a bit during pictures and he asked if she loved him more than her job and she answered that honestly she doesn’t and doesn’t think she could ever love any person more than her job. He took his wedding band off and handed it to her."

TmHdonjOXNWkbUxq-Dg4ihFXiUO6UVUBXMDGgdKdeGBqvvH8rw7mLgCeuIumknyI_18FAAS6pCTaIhSumZcU3m-bOutESNhImXn1PL3W_wJJ86ljjO2u_ZMCR9lEEiY8RJbahNo6

Image Credit: Istock

He mentioned that as soon as his grandparents found out about all the unnecessary commotion he caused, they approached his dad and ‘yelled at him’.

"Everyone did turn and stare but the groomsmen broke it up pretty quickly…" he explained.

"My wife was furious and wanted everyone involved kicked out. My grandparents were asked to leave but I wanted my dad to stay. My mom left shortly after on her own."

He said his new wife has openly told him that she had ‘lost respect’ for her father-in-law for nearly ruining the wedding and demanded an apology.

"I said she was being heartless and she needs to understand that he was hurt and not trying to ruin anything and I said he doesn’t owe us an apology when he didn’t cause the drama. She accused me of not caring enough about our wedding."

The story posted on the forum ‘r/AmITheA**hole’ was engulfed with a whopping 1,300k comments along with 4,000 upvotes. The majority of the users are on the bride’s side and went on to share their disapproval of the dad’s actions in the comments section.

“Of all the days of the years, op's dad chose THE WEDDING CEREMONY (not even wedding day, the f*cking ceremony) and demands a divorce in a very dramatic way. And op is ok with this? Op do I need to remind you this is your wedding? He did this TO YOU too," one person argued.

wnFrouSjd-ectsZNf6JfJtPlaNqAssZomL_HNMO1F8XipZN3GeBf12UQrItrR0_gB8sTt4OTaLL5gKO2bItUcbRWd4eseBdQZYxEz1c0flpdUwghyX1dAHITh-4k0pnJOg4kbxPA

Image Credit: CUInsight

"Your father decided to bring up this issue at the wedding knowing your mother is reserved in public. He knew she would not make a scene…" another wrote.

"He is the cause of the issues at the wedding and is extremely selfish for using your wedding to do this. He owes your wife an apology, and you owe her one as well for ignoring her feelings about the situation, when they are extremely valid."

“Total calculated move on OP's father's part. He knew exactly what he was doing. Using a wedding as a place to stage your life event is selfish. The wedding is about the people getting married," a third added.

The groom eventually gave in to the masses and realized he’s on the wrong side with the following response: "I am being more sympathetic to my dad than my wife. I see why she is upset and I don’t want to invalidate her feelings. She feels unsupported."

Talk about being dramatic, huh? What would you have felt if you were in the bride’s shoes? Comment your thoughts down below!

Sponsored
What a selfish man! Obviously, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree if the new husband had to have the reason for his new wife’s upset explained to him.

One of the biggest, if not the biggest, milestones in one's lifetime is a wedding day. We spend several months planning everything to make the day memorable because it's the ultimate declaration of love for the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with. However, with so much pressure for the day to go right, so much can go wrong.

A groom has taken to Reddit to ask for advice, claiming his bride is ‘heartless’ for getting enraged when his father shamelessly decided to make a harsh announcement on their wedding day.

He starts off the post saying: "My beautiful wife and I got married a few weeks ago and she’s still annoyed with me about this situation…”

"My dad asked my mom for a divorce at the wedding, which I get is pretty messed up, but my mom's very reserved in public. I heard them fighting a bit during pictures and he asked if she loved him more than her job and she answered that honestly she doesn’t and doesn’t think she could ever love any person more than her job. He took his wedding band off and handed it to her."

TmHdonjOXNWkbUxq-Dg4ihFXiUO6UVUBXMDGgdKdeGBqvvH8rw7mLgCeuIumknyI_18FAAS6pCTaIhSumZcU3m-bOutESNhImXn1PL3W_wJJ86ljjO2u_ZMCR9lEEiY8RJbahNo6

He mentioned that as soon as his grandparents found out about all the unnecessary commotion he caused, they approached his dad and ‘yelled at him’.

"Everyone did turn and stare but the groomsmen broke it up pretty quickly…" he explained.

"My wife was furious and wanted everyone involved kicked out. My grandparents were asked to leave but I wanted my dad to stay. My mom left shortly after on her own."

He said his new wife has openly told him that she had ‘lost respect’ for her father-in-law for nearly ruining the wedding and demanded an apology.

"I said she was being heartless and she needs to understand that he was hurt and not trying to ruin anything and I said he doesn’t owe us an apology when he didn’t cause the drama. She accused me of not caring enough about our wedding."

The story posted on the forum ‘r/AmITheA**hole’ was engulfed with a whopping 1,300k comments along with 4,000 upvotes. The majority of the users are on the bride’s side and went on to share their disapproval of the dad’s actions in the comments section.

“Of all the days of the years, op's dad chose THE WEDDING CEREMONY (not even wedding day, the f*cking ceremony) and demands a divorce in a very dramatic way. And op is ok with this? Op do I need to remind you this is your wedding? He did this TO YOU too," one person argued.

wnFrouSjd-ectsZNf6JfJtPlaNqAssZomL_HNMO1F8XipZN3GeBf12UQrItrR0_gB8sTt4OTaLL5gKO2bItUcbRWd4eseBdQZYxEz1c0flpdUwghyX1dAHITh-4k0pnJOg4kbxPA

"Your father decided to bring up this issue at the wedding knowing your mother is reserved in public. He knew she would not make a scene…" another wrote.

"He is the cause of the issues at the wedding and is extremely selfish for using your wedding to do this. He owes your wife an apology, and you owe her one as well for ignoring her feelings about the situation, when they are extremely valid."

“Total calculated move on OP's father's part. He knew exactly what he was doing. Using a wedding as a place to stage your life event is selfish. The wedding is about the people getting married," a third added.

The groom eventually gave in to the masses and realized he’s on the wrong side with the following response: "I am being more sympathetic to my dad than my wife. I see why she is upset and I don’t want to invalidate her feelings. She feels unsupported."

Talk about being dramatic, huh? What would you have felt if you were in the bride’s shoes? Comment your thoughts down below!

I think all the women in this family are married to selfish male pigs and should make a mass exit and live happy ever after.

Reactions: Urenrox
When I read the headline I thought 'usual spoiled princess behaviour' but when I read what was behind it I thought 'like father like son'. I hope she gets out of the marriage unscathed.

Reactions: Urenrox
Definitely the brides day, totally inexcusable behaviour a normal person would excuse themselves from the situation so as NOT to cause a scene or disrupt the son and daughters-in-law special day.

Surely even a birthday party, christening, baby shower even funerals are not places for displaying your own dirty linen and causing

Unfortunately the son has definitely missed placed loyalty. Why the father could remain is definitely unfortunate.

• Love
Reactions: debjane
Definitely not the place to announce a divorce, wedding are not the place for family disagreement to be aired nor are they the place for engagements or pregnancies to be announced unless both bride and groom agree to it, It is the bride and grooms day for them too remember a happy day not one where there is family angst and drama.

Mum, loves her job more than husband. She seems to be the instigator of the whole thing., Also how do you think the son would feel just learning that his mum and dad are getting divorced. Bride should have had a bit of sympathy towards her new husband also. She was just worried about the wedding, not just hers but his also. Its life and things happen. Get over it. In a year or so you will just laugh about it.

Mum, loves her job more than husband. She seems to be the instigator of the whole thing., Also how do you think the son would feel just learning that his mum and dad are getting divorced. Bride should have had a bit of sympathy towards her new husband also. She was just worried about the wedding, not just hers but his also. Its life and things happen. Get over it. In a year or so you will just laugh about it.

Can’t agree with Lizzy. A wedding is certainly not the place for groom’s father to air grievances between he and wife. Attention seeking in lowest form!! Personally, I wouldn’t be laughing about it ever! I agree wholeheartedly with Suz’s reply.

Reactions: Urenrox and Larry10

I fully understand her anger and disappointment, her father in law was well aware of what he was doing, sounds almost pre planned on his part,

I fully understand her anger and disappointment, her father in law was well aware of what he was doing, sounds almost pre planned on his part,

Never 👎🏻