SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Ways to Make Money as a Retiree Without Spending Too Much Upfront

In recent years, the cost of living has increased significantly, while the purchasing power of pensions and other retirement savings has decreased. This has made it difficult for people to make their money last through their retirement years, but fortunately, there are many ways for seniors in Australia to bring in an additional income without footing too many costs upfront.

1. Offer consulting services

If you have a particular area of expertise, you can offer your services as a consultant to businesses or individuals. You won't have to work full-time or even part-time, and you could choose to work from home, which will help to keep costs down. Reach out to individuals from the professional network you built before retirement to get the word out about your availability. You can also use LinkedIn to make your qualifications known and find vacancies for consulting positions.

2. Do odd jobs

There are always people who need odd jobs done, such as gardening, house cleaning, or simple repairs. If you have a knack for these tasks, you could spend a few days a month assisting others with these as a way to supplement your income and keep you active. Advertise your services in Facebook groups for your community or become a worker on Airtasker to find jobs that you’d be well-suited for. The Airtasker app takes a percentage of your income so be sure to account for that when setting a price for your services.

shutterstock_152034587.jpg
Varied Australian bills poking out of a jean pocket. Credit: shutterstock

3. Sell items you no longer need

You most likely have items around your home that you no longer need or use. You can sell these online, at garage sales, or even at flea markets. Be sure to avoid scams while doing this, as there are a number of people who target sellers by faking payments to steal the item being sold. They achieve this by fabricating proofs of payment or sending transfer notifications from fraudulent email addresses that mimic banks and other payment platforms.

4. Rent out a room in your home

If you have an extra room in your home, you can rent it out to tenants. Not only will this provide you with a regular source of income, but it can also help to offset the costs of owning a home and help you meet new people. Search online for "room rental" or "house share" to find websites that you can use to source potential candidates.

5. Offer house or pet-sitting services

If you love animals and wouldn’t mind getting away from your routine from time to time, you can offer your services as a house or pet-sitter. Your rates could differ depending on peak or off-peak seasons, and you could charge a little more for extras like dog-walking. While you’re away meeting new people and seeing new places, you can rent your home out as an Airbnb for added income!

6. Become a mystery shopper

You can get paid to shop by becoming a mystery shopper - a person hired by companies to evaluate their customer service. While you’ll need to pay for the items upfront, the company will reimburse you for these and pay you for your evaluation too. Oftentimes, these items may be products you’ll be buying anyway, resulting in savings on your monthly budget. Take a look at the mystery shopping sites in Australia to sign up as a shopper.

7. Start a small business

If you're entrepreneurial and have a great business idea or you have a hobby that’s easy to monetise, you can start a small business. While there may be some upfront costs involved, it could lead to significant future income. The good news is that businesses are easier to market than ever by taking advantage of social media platforms or other digital options. Start by selling your products or services through platforms like Etsy and Facebook Marketplace to gauge the interest of potential customers.

8. Become a tour guide

If you love your city or town and know a ton about it, you can share your knowledge with others by becoming a tour guide. Consider working for a tour company or starting your own business. This is a great way to earn money while meeting new people. You can also supplement your existing knowledge by doing research online or speaking to local historians.

9. Babysitting or caring

More and more parents are working longer hours, which means they need someone to care for their children. If you enjoy spending time with kids and have loads of love to give, you can offer your services as a babysitter or nanny. Oftentimes, your employers might provide meals and housing too, so if you live on your own, you could save on additional living costs. You’ll likely need a Blue Card to get started.

10. Teaching or tutoring

If you have in-depth knowledge or a passion for a particular subject, there are always teaching or tutoring jobs available. Online learning platforms make it easier than ever to connect with students from around the world, or you can also offer your services as a tutor in your local community. Speak to the staff at your local learning institutions to get insight into where your skills may be needed.

There are many ways for seniors to earn additional income. The key is to find something you're passionate about that doesn’t require too much investment to monetise. Be sure to research any opportunities thoroughly before committing to anything, and always be on the lookout for scams. With the right approach, you’ll be able to find an income solution that meets your needs and won’t cost you too much to get started.

Are there any money-making tips we’ve missed? We’d love to hear any of your ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
6. Become a Mystery Shopper.
On the attachment, some of the links are not activated.
ie: The here is dead.

Reactions: Ian1
6. Become a Mystery Shopper.
On the attachment, some of the links are not activated.
ie: The here is dead.
Sorry about that! I would suggest just doing a google search for any of the companies you are interested in and take a look at their websites directly.

I would love to be a mystery shopper. I worked for a bridal store for 15 years and every 4 months they paid for a mystery shopper to come in and try dresses . They rated our service including offering them jewellery to try on with dresses. State of store. How long it took for someone to greet them and how long it took to serve them. We were rated out of 10 and if we got less than 9 we were called in to a meeting

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ian1
In recent years, the cost of living has increased significantly, while the purchasing power of pensions and other retirement savings has decreased. This has made it difficult for people to make their money last through their retirement years, but fortunately, there are many ways for seniors in Australia to bring in an additional income without footing too many costs upfront.

If you have a particular area of expertise, you can offer your services as a consultant to businesses or individuals. You won't have to work full-time or even part-time, and you could choose to work from home, which will help to keep costs down. Reach out to individuals from the professional network you built before retirement to get the word out about your availability. You can also use LinkedIn to make your qualifications known and find vacancies for consulting positions.

2. Do odd jobs

There are always people who need odd jobs done, such as gardening, house cleaning, or simple repairs. If you have a knack for these tasks, you could spend a few days a month assisting others with these as a way to supplement your income and keep you active. Advertise your services in Facebook groups for your community or become a worker on Airtasker to find jobs that you’d be well-suited for. The Airtasker app takes a percentage of your income so be sure to account for that when setting a price for your services.

View attachment 4515

You most likely have items around your home that you no longer need or use. You can sell these online, at garage sales, or even at flea markets. Be sure to avoid scams while doing this, as there are a number of people who target sellers by faking payments to steal the item being sold. They achieve this by fabricating proofs of payment or sending transfer notifications from fraudulent email addresses that mimic banks and other payment platforms.

If you have an extra room in your home, you can rent it out to tenants. Not only will this provide you with a regular source of income, but it can also help to offset the costs of owning a home and help you meet new people. Search online for "room rental" or "house share" to find websites that you can use to source potential candidates.

If you love animals and wouldn’t mind getting away from your routine from time to time, you can offer your services as a house or pet-sitter. Your rates could differ depending on peak or off-peak seasons, and you could charge a little more for extras like dog-walking. While you’re away meeting new people and seeing new places, you can rent your home out as an Airbnb for added income!

You can get paid to shop by becoming a mystery shopper - a person hired by companies to evaluate their customer service. While you’ll need to pay for the items upfront, the company will reimburse you for these and pay you for your evaluation too. Oftentimes, these items may be products you’ll be buying anyway, resulting in savings on your monthly budget. Take a look at the mystery shopping sites in Australia to sign up as a shopper.

If you're entrepreneurial and have a great business idea or you have a hobby that’s easy to monetise, you can start a small business. While there may be some upfront costs involved, it could lead to significant future income. The good news is that businesses are easier to market than ever by taking advantage of social media platforms or other digital options. Start by selling your products or services through platforms like Etsy and Facebook Marketplace to gauge the interest of potential customers.

8. Become a tour guide

If you love your city or town and know a ton about it, you can share your knowledge with others by becoming a tour guide. Consider working for a tour company or starting your own business. This is a great way to earn money while meeting new people. You can also supplement your existing knowledge by doing research online or speaking to local historians.

9. Babysitting or caring

More and more parents are working longer hours, which means they need someone to care for their children. If you enjoy spending time with kids and have loads of love to give, you can offer your services as a babysitter or nanny. Oftentimes, your employers might provide meals and housing too, so if you live on your own, you could save on additional living costs. You’ll likely need a Blue Card to get started.

10. Teaching or tutoring

If you have in-depth knowledge or a passion for a particular subject, there are always teaching or tutoring jobs available. Online learning platforms make it easier than ever to connect with students from around the world, or you can also offer your services as a tutor in your local community. Speak to the staff at your local learning institutions to get insight into where your skills may be needed.

There are many ways for seniors to earn additional income. The key is to find something you're passionate about that doesn’t require too much investment to monetise. Be sure to research any opportunities thoroughly before committing to anything, and always be on the lookout for scams. With the right approach, you’ll be able to find an income solution that meets your needs and won’t cost you too much to get started.

Are there any money-making tips we’ve missed? We’d love to hear any of your ideas!
I have been enjoying driving Classic Wedding Cars as a retirement activity for the past 16 years. I get to indulge my passion and love of Classic cars as well as providing a professional service to the wedding party on their very special day. Whilst the pay isn't that wonderful it certainly helps the cashflow and helps to keep me young and in touch with a wide range of cultures.

I wouldn't mind doing house sitting ( in another state or town ) or pet sitting but only small pets but don't know how to get in to it safely

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I wouldn't mind doing house sitting ( in another state or town ) or pet sitting but only small pets but don't know how to get in to it safely
I housesat for several years and can help you get into it safely. I ended up with several regulars, and have made some long term friends with people I sat for.

A friend's daughter and her husband did this for 5 years , they never had their own home just house sat in and around Canberra , they are both teachers and in that 5 years was able to save enough for a very good deposit for their own home.

I housesat for several years and can help you get into it safely. I ended up with several regulars, and have made some long term friends with people I sat for.
Hi John
I'm not that good on the computer but here we go I'm interested in house sitting and you said that you could help me get in to it safely but I will be buzzy for a few weeks and I need to look into it a bit more so a bit more information will be good
Thanks Karen w

Hi Karen,
There is a website you can register on and you can specify where you want to housesit, and what you want to housesit. ie: animal types, dogs, cats, size, which state, area. then you will be advised of any housesits that fit your parameters.
There are some websites that are not very good. I happened to find the best.
I housesat throughout Tasmania, and just about anything. Sometimes went from a housesit to another one the same day, without a gap. The more I did it, I got referrals, repeats. You totally control what you want to do. I saved a lot of money, but age and Covid caught up with me.
Can we catch up by phone?
John

I love the idea of offering consulting services. It's a fantastic way to share our expertise without committing to a full-time gig. Plus, working from home keeps expenses in check! And hey, if you've got green thumbs or handy skills, doing odd jobs for others sounds like a fun way to stay active and pad your wallets! I've been looking for ways to make some extra cash and found a guide on how to get $20 fast.Selling stuff we no longer need is a win-win, too - decluttering our space and making some extra dough! But, as they said, let's be cautious and avoid scams. Safety first!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jennylolo and Gsr
Ways to Make Money as a Retiree Without Spending Too Much Upfront

2. Do odd jobs

View attachment 4515

8. Become a tour guide

9. Babysitting or caring

10. Teaching or tutoring

My husband and l have given a young Chinese couple a home to live in and in march they brought their 4 1/2 yo over so she lives here as well. It has it ups and downs but helps us and them. Can’t wait till next year as she will start school.😃

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540
I have a small travel agency online offering direct access tour packages to my network of destination specialists worldwide
This is new in australia but working well
No more middlemen
Direct access by email or what’s app group
The choice to buy travel this way saves $$$
It may or may not be for you and that is your choice
That’s the main thing, it’s your choice
Am not restricted to Australia only either

Anyway prefer to be transparent

Hi Good Morning,

I have done many house/dogsittings over the last 6 yrs. Mainly in NSW and Qld . But you can house sit anywhere you want in AU and even overseas. You need to have your paperwork in good order , get a statement from the police office that you are a trustworthy person . There are many websites who offer house/animal sitting . We were with Mindahome and it costs are $50.- a year and then you put together a little story about yourself , so the homeowners can look at that and able to contact you. You can put your name in the state you want and also for the time when you might be available . We had so many offers , it helps if you have a good background and your education can also help for people to pick you. Also you need to have a few references , we had many from people we did house sit before and we always were asking to come back another time,
hope this may help you a bit .

Yasmine Vriesekolk.

Selling on line best place is Facebook marketplace its free and biggest platform
I used to love selling on ebay but their fees are so high .
Feeling better. marketplace has lots of scammers do be v careful.