Water-logged roadside cushion leads to horrifying accident: ‘Don’t kill us’

While many of us shake our heads at the thoughtlessness of those who carelessly litter, few realise the dire threats these acts can pose.

Beyond harming our environment, wildlife, and community aesthetics, such reckless abandonment may hide other menacing hazards.

One unsuspecting Aussie motorist confronted this peril head-on, reminding us that these illicit acts aren’t just eyesores—they can be life-threatening.

During heavy rain near Billinudgel on the New South Wales (NSW) Far North Coast, Zen Murray and Nathan Davies were unexpectedly confronted by a water-logged cushion blown onto their path by strong winds.

This caused their van to lose control and crash into a railing.

‘All I could think about was ‘don’t kill us, don’t kill me. I’ve got two young kids,’ Murray told Yahoo News Australia, visibly shaken by the memory.

f8ccd340-76e7-11ee-bcaf-739f60c931ac.png
Two men emerged unscathed after a crash sent their car spinning out of control. Image source: Facebook.

The two were driving at approximately 70km/h when they lost control.

They first hit a wall, veered to the opposite side of the road, and ultimately crashed into a guard rail.

This rail prevented them from falling 40 metres down an embankment filled with trees.

After this harrowing experience, Murray urged the public to refrain from illegal dumping on roadsides. He noted that the sofa had been abandoned there for weeks.

As Murray and Davies were driving their Hyundai iLoad van to grab some food after work, an approaching vehicle flashed its lights at them near the top of a hill in Billinudgel, north of Byron Bay.

‘I thought he was signalling that there were cops ahead,’ Murray recalled. ‘But I checked, and I was going 10 km under the speed limit because of the rain.’

Unbeknownst to him, the flashing was a warning about an imminent hazard that would lead to the destruction of his vehicle.

Looking back, Murray acknowledged the gravity of the situation and felt ‘lucky’ that there wasn’t another car on the Brunswick Valley Motorway when they crashed.

Murray took to social media to highlight the perils of illegal dumping. In his post, he implored individuals not to discard their belongings haphazardly.

‘I’d like to thank the people who like to leave rubbish and furniture on the side of the road. My friend and I are lucky to be alive after hitting a couch cushion that had blown onto the road,’ he shared on social media.

Reactions to his post were swift, with one person commenting, ‘That's terrible,’ and another noting, ‘So dangerous’.

Murray elaborated, ‘All it takes is for [the] wind to pick up, you add a bit of rain to it, and someone’s life is over. It’s just not worth it.’

In many local councils, including the Byron Shire Council, where Murray resides, strict penalties exist for those who dispose of waste illegally in public areas. The fines at this particular council can reach as high as $250,000.

‘If you don't have the 50 bucks to go to the tip, call the council. [They] actually give out tip vouchers,’ Murray further advised.

As per the council’s official website, every household can avail of two $50 waste disposal vouchers annually and borrow trailers without any charge for waste transportation.

383787912_724544333045435_1972857720484203179_n.jpg
To report illegal dumping in NSW, click here. Image source: Facebook

In many local councils, including the Byron Shire Council, where Murray resides, strict penalties exist for those who dispose of waste illegally in public areas. The fines at this particular council can reach as high as $250,000.

‘If you don't have the 50 bucks to go to the tip, call the council. [They] actually give out tip vouchers,’ Murray further advised.

As per the council’s official website, every household can avail of two $50 waste disposal vouchers annually and borrow trailers without any charge for waste transportation.

Key Takeaways

• Two men had a near-fatal accident after their van hit a dumped, water-logged sofa cushion in heavy rain on the NSW Far North Coast.
  • Zen Murray, who was driving the van, is urging people to stop illegally dumping items on the side of the road.
  • Murray shared his terrifying experience on social media, warning of the inherent dangers of illegal dumping.
  • The local council where Murray is located can fine people up to $250,000 for illegal dumping and offers waste disposal vouchers and free trailer hire for moving waste.
Members, what's your take on this incident? Do you have suggestions for the community on proper disposal or tips for drivers to prevent such situations? Share your ideas in the comments below!

Sponsored
Has happened to me. At the bottom of a hill is a bridge that crosses over a creek. That much rubbish was dumped that it clogged the drains leaving a huge puddle to drive through. Couldn't see the puddle due to the fact it was early evening and already dark. I aquaplaned off the surface veering to the left, and in to a pole bringing the front passenger headlight right up to the windscreen. I was ok but the car was a write off. It was a Sandman Ute V8. Had it for 5 weeks and didn't get around to insuring it so it became a full loss on the vehicle.

The M5 motorway that runs towards western Sydney has spans of grass on each side for a long stretch. More than once some complete idiot has discarded a lit cigarette end by throwing it into the grassy areas. Of course, a fire resulted that closed the motorway causing major delays to people either trying to get to work or get home from work and potentially threatening buildings along the side of the road. The perpetrator would have been long gone by the time the fire got going, meaning they were not inconvenienced by their own stupidity but others were not spared the consequences.

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM
Hubby once ran over a large cushion that had fallen onto the road. It was just over a small rise on the roadway. He didn’t have time to take evasive action by the time he saw it. It was a an old feather cushion, well feathers flew up around the car everywhere, creating a blind spot when they covered some of the windscreen. It was surprising just how many feathers were in that cushion. We returned past the site after 2 hours and there were still feathers floating about in the air. It took weeks before all the feathers disappeared off the road and out of the nearby paddock. Gave us a shock when it happened but in hindsight was was a bit funny.

Reactions: DLHM
While many of us shake our heads at the thoughtlessness of those who carelessly litter, few realise the dire threats these acts can pose.

Beyond harming our environment, wildlife, and community aesthetics, such reckless abandonment may hide other menacing hazards.

One unsuspecting Aussie motorist confronted this peril head-on, reminding us that these illicit acts aren’t just eyesores—they can be life-threatening.

During heavy rain near Billinudgel on the New South Wales (NSW) Far North Coast, Zen Murray and Nathan Davies were unexpectedly confronted by a water-logged cushion blown onto their path by strong winds.

‘All I could think about was ‘don’t kill us, don’t kill me. I’ve got two young kids,’ Murray told Yahoo News Australia, visibly shaken by the memory.

View attachment 33668
Two men emerged unscathed after a crash sent their car spinning out of control. Image source: Facebook.

They first hit a wall, veered to the opposite side of the road, and ultimately crashed into a guard rail.

This rail prevented them from falling 40 metres down an embankment filled with trees.

After this harrowing experience, Murray urged the public to refrain from illegal dumping on roadsides. He noted that the sofa had been abandoned there for weeks.

As Murray and Davies were driving their Hyundai iLoad van to grab some food after work, an approaching vehicle flashed its lights at them near the top of a hill in Billinudgel, north of Byron Bay.

‘I thought he was signalling that there were cops ahead,’ Murray recalled. ‘But I checked, and I was going 10 km under the speed limit because of the rain.’

Unbeknownst to him, the flashing was a warning about an imminent hazard that would lead to the destruction of his vehicle.

Looking back, Murray acknowledged the gravity of the situation and felt ‘lucky’ that there wasn’t another car on the Brunswick Valley Motorway when they crashed.

Murray took to social media to highlight the perils of illegal dumping. In his post, he implored individuals not to discard their belongings haphazardly.

‘I’d like to thank the people who like to leave rubbish and furniture on the side of the road. My friend and I are lucky to be alive after hitting a couch cushion that had blown onto the road,’ he shared on social media.

Reactions to his post were swift, with one person commenting, ‘That's terrible,’ and another noting, ‘So dangerous’.

Murray elaborated, ‘All it takes is for [the] wind to pick up, you add a bit of rain to it, and someone’s life is over. It’s just not worth it.’

View attachment 33669

Key Takeaways

• Two men had a near-fatal accident after their van hit a dumped, water-logged sofa cushion in heavy rain on the NSW Far North Coast.
  • Zen Murray, who was driving the van, is urging people to stop illegally dumping items on the side of the road.
  • Murray shared his terrifying experience on social media, warning of the inherent dangers of illegal dumping.
  • The local council where Murray is located can fine people up to $250,000 for illegal dumping and offers waste disposal vouchers and free trailer hire for moving waste.
Members, what's your take on this incident? Do you have suggestions for the community on proper disposal or tips for drivers to prevent such situations? Share your ideas in the comments below!
Why were two men driving one van? That sounds dangerous by itself.

Reactions: magpie1
If the Council is so red hot on illegal dumping of rubbish, then wouldn't you think that they would have removed this sofa that had been on the side of the road for a couple of weeks.....seems a long time for them not to have removed this item. Would have prevented this from happening. 🤔

View attachment 33668

View attachment 33669

Key Takeaways

I'm glad that the two men survived. However, whilst the local council does give out 2 free gift vouchers a year and will provide a trailer if needed, what do they do for residents who don't have access to a vehicle, i.e they don't drive? Does the council provide free hard rubbish collections as well?

Reactions: Observer
I'm glad that the two men survived. However, whilst the local council does give out 2 free gift vouchers a year and will provide a trailer if needed, what do they do for residents who don't have access to a vehicle, i.e they don't drive? Does the council provide free hard rubbish collections as well?
Some councils have road side rubbish collection every 6 to 12 months

Some councils have road side rubbish collection every 6 to 12 months
Obviously not in the area where the crash was, as I said not everybody can drive a vehicle that can tow a trailer...I know my mobility scooter can't for one example!

They do in Melbourne. You only need to book in a hard rubbish collection even though they do it twice a year anyways.

I was confronted by a mattress that came off he back of a ute on the expressway North of Sydney. I was soo lucky not to have lost steering, however it was very dangerous on that road to try and get the mattress off the undercarriage of my vehicle - traffic going past 100kph.

• Sad
Reactions: Observer