Want to fight off dementia? Try crosswords, games, and computers!

As we age, we care more about keeping our brains in top shape. We live in an age where preventing conditions such as dementia are more of a focus than ever before.

Fortunately, researchers from Monash University have recently unearthed some telling evidence about how people can reduce their risk of dementia—and it couldn't be simpler!

Though activities such as painting, knitting and crafting can all help to keep our minds active, it's doing puzzles, playing games, and using computers that could stave off dementia the most successfully.

In their study, which was published in the medical journal JAMA Network Open, researchers observed 10,300 older Australians.

The results from the study showed that those who regularly engaged in activities like doing crosswords, using a computer, keeping a journal, and playing games such as chess were nine to eleven per cent less likely to develop dementia than those who stuck to what we'd call 'passive' activities.

Screen Shot 2023-07-18 at 4.09.29 PM.png
Doing crosswords, using a computer, keeping a journal and playing games such as chess may help older people ward off dementia. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Associate Professor Joanne Ryan, one of the senior authors of the study, this could be because these activities actively involve 'manipulating previously-stored knowledge'.

'Keeping the mind active and challenged may be particularly important,' she added.

However, she also noted that there are a few limitations. For instance, the results may be influenced by other lifestyle behaviours of people who naturally gravitate towards these kinds of activities. The participants were also much healthier on the whole than the general population.

But still, she said that these results do suggest that active, mentally-stimulating activities are the ones that could help the most when it comes to our cognitive health.

'While engaging in literacy and mental acuity activities may not be a magic pill to avoid dementia, if that was your goal and you had to choose, our research certainly suggests these are the activities most likely to support prolonged good cognitive health,' she explained.

Aside from the study, dementia advocacy groups in the country have long believed that engaging in activities that challenge and stimulate the mind can help prevent or slow down the development of dementia.

Dementia Australia promotes activities like puzzles, brain games, and other mentally stimulating exercises because research suggests that keeping the brain active can increase the number of healthy brain cells.

The organisation also states that mental stimulation, such as solving puzzles, may lower the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.

Numerous studies have supported this belief over the years, with various researchers finding that puzzles can stimulate the brain and help older individuals stay mentally sharp, potentially delaying the onset of memory loss.

Consistently participating in puzzles and brain games offers a wide range of other positive benefits. Firstly, it improves short-term memory and enhances concentration and focus. Additionally, it reduces stress levels and promotes a better quality of sleep. These activities also encourage effective decision-making and enhance processing speed.

Moreover, engaging in puzzles and brain games helps develop problem-solving skills and sharpens reasoning abilities. They also boost attention to detail and keep your fingers nimble, especially when using a pen or moving puzzle pieces around. Furthermore, these activities have the potential to uplift your mood.

Maintaining healthy cognitive stimulation is crucial for a healthy brain and its mental connections. By regularly participating in brain activity games, puzzles, or hobbies, you consistently stimulate your mind while simultaneously enjoying yourself and staying entertained.

There are numerous crossword games accessible online or through mobile applications. However, we have developed a captivating and enjoyable game exclusively for our SDC members called OzWord.

It can be played on your computer, tablet, or mobile phone. This game is specifically designed to test your vocabulary and spelling skills. Give it a try by clicking on this link!

If you're interested in enhancing your memory and problem-solving abilities, why not give riddles a try? Begin your journey with the riddles available on our forum. Take a look at the various categories and see if you can uncover the answers to each of them.

Also, make sure to check out our morning newsletters every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, as we include a riddle in each one. Start your mornings by challenging yourself with these brain teasers!

Key Takeaways

• Doing crosswords, using a computer, maintaining a journal and playing games like chess may help older people ward off dementia, according to a Monash University study.
  • Australians over 70 who regularly engaged in these activities were found to be nine to eleven per cent less likely to develop the condition.
  • The research showed that more passive activities like painting, knitting, and crafting only reduced the risk by seven per cent.
  • The frequency of outings and the size of a person's social network weren't shown to have an impact on reducing dementia risk. The findings were consistent across various factors such as education level, gender and socioeconomic status.

Of course, it's important to note that other factors like diet, social interaction, exercise and sleeping patterns also impact cognitive health, so don't forget to take these into account as well.

You can never be too careful when it comes to your brain, so we encourage you to stay vigilant and exercise it regularly!

We hope you found this article helpful and informative, folks! Do you have other healthy brain activities to add to the list? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
As we age, we care more about keeping our brains in top shape. We live in an age where preventing conditions such as dementia are more of a focus than ever before.

Fortunately, researchers from Monash University have recently unearthed some telling evidence about how people can reduce their risk of dementia—and it couldn't be simpler!

Though activities such as painting, knitting and crafting can all help to keep our minds active, it's doing puzzles, playing games, and using computers that could stave off dementia the most successfully.

In their study, which was published in the medical journal JAMA Network Open, researchers observed 10,300 older Australians.

The results from the study showed that those who regularly engaged in activities like doing crosswords, using a computer, keeping a journal, and playing games such as chess were nine to eleven per cent less likely to develop dementia than those who stuck to what we'd call 'passive' activities.

View attachment 25441
Doing crosswords, using a computer, keeping a journal and playing games such as chess may help older people ward off dementia. Credit: Shutterstock.

According to Associate Professor Joanne Ryan, one of the senior authors of the study, this could be because these activities actively involve 'manipulating previously-stored knowledge'.

'Keeping the mind active and challenged may be particularly important,' she added.

However, she also noted that there are a few limitations. For instance, the results may be influenced by other lifestyle behaviours of people who naturally gravitate towards these kinds of activities. The participants were also much healthier on the whole than the general population.

But still, she said that these results do suggest that active, mentally-stimulating activities are the ones that could help the most when it comes to our cognitive health.

'While engaging in literacy and mental acuity activities may not be a magic pill to avoid dementia, if that was your goal and you had to choose, our research certainly suggests these are the activities most likely to support prolonged good cognitive health,' she explained.

Aside from the study, dementia advocacy groups in the country have long believed that engaging in activities that challenge and stimulate the mind can help prevent or slow down the development of dementia.

Dementia Australia promotes activities like puzzles, brain games, and other mentally stimulating exercises because research suggests that keeping the brain active can increase the number of healthy brain cells.

The organisation also states that mental stimulation, such as solving puzzles, may lower the risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.

Numerous studies have supported this belief over the years, with various researchers finding that puzzles can stimulate the brain and help older individuals stay mentally sharp, potentially delaying the onset of memory loss.

Consistently participating in puzzles and brain games offers a wide range of other positive benefits. Firstly, it improves short-term memory and enhances concentration and focus. Additionally, it reduces stress levels and promotes a better quality of sleep. These activities also encourage effective decision-making and enhance processing speed.

Moreover, engaging in puzzles and brain games helps develop problem-solving skills and sharpens reasoning abilities. They also boost attention to detail and keep your fingers nimble, especially when using a pen or moving puzzle pieces around. Furthermore, these activities have the potential to uplift your mood.

Maintaining healthy cognitive stimulation is crucial for a healthy brain and its mental connections. By regularly participating in brain activity games, puzzles, or hobbies, you consistently stimulate your mind while simultaneously enjoying yourself and staying entertained.

There are numerous crossword games accessible online or through mobile applications. However, we have developed a captivating and enjoyable game exclusively for our SDC members called OzWord.

It can be played on your computer, tablet, or mobile phone. This game is specifically designed to test your vocabulary and spelling skills. Give it a try by clicking on this link!

If you're interested in enhancing your memory and problem-solving abilities, why not give riddles a try? Begin your journey with the riddles available on our forum. Take a look at the various categories and see if you can uncover the answers to each of them.

Also, make sure to check out our morning newsletters every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, as we include a riddle in each one. Start your mornings by challenging yourself with these brain teasers!

Key Takeaways

• Doing crosswords, using a computer, maintaining a journal and playing games like chess may help older people ward off dementia, according to a Monash University study.
  • Australians over 70 who regularly engaged in these activities were found to be nine to eleven per cent less likely to develop the condition.
  • The research showed that more passive activities like painting, knitting, and crafting only reduced the risk by seven per cent.
  • The frequency of outings and the size of a person's social network weren't shown to have an impact on reducing dementia risk. The findings were consistent across various factors such as education level, gender and socioeconomic status.

Of course, it's important to note that other factors like diet, social interaction, exercise and sleeping patterns also impact cognitive health, so don't forget to take these into account as well.

You can never be too careful when it comes to your brain, so we encourage you to stay vigilant and exercise it regularly!

We hope you found this article helpful and informative, folks! Do you have other healthy brain activities to add to the list? Share them in the comments below!
I love to do cypher squares each morning and start from the back of the puzzle book where only one letter is revealed. Why am I so bad at your daily trivia?

I'm a great puzzle addict. My favourites are Logic and Code Crackers, they give your brain a good workout as you can't cheat, you can't find the answer on goggle.
The only time I use goggle is when I have finished a crossword, and if I'm sure I don't know a certain word I will look it up so I remember it the next time.
I was once on a flight and doing the crossword in the Woman's Day (only reason I bought it, full of fabricated garbage,). The woman sitting next to me was surprised how quickly I finished it. We started chatting and have been friends ever since.
Have won numerous prizes, the best one being a beautiful white leather lounge.
Haven't managed to crack it for the car just yet, have to keep trying LOL

I've heard that keeping your brain engaged with crossword puzzles, games, and using computers can really help stave off dementia. It's not just about staying entertained; it's like a workout for our minds! Personally, I love playing brain-training apps and online games. They're a fun way to challenge myself while also doing something enjoyable. I recently discovered Roblox and got hooked on it! The only downside is that it's quite challenging to level up, so I ended up looking for Roblox accounts for sale. I found a fantastic account that has made my gaming experience way more exciting.

Last edited:
I've heard that keeping your brain engaged with crossword puzzles, games, and using computers can really help stave off dementia. It's not just about staying entertained; it's like a workout for our minds! Personally, I love playing brain-training apps and online games. They're a fun way to challenge myself while also doing something enjoyable. I recently discovered Roblox and got hooked on it!
I agree, keeps the brain working as long as you resist the urge to Google answers.
I prefer to do the Logic Puzzles and the Code Crackers as you can't do that with these.
I buy the Woman's Weekly Crossword Book, also Better Homes and Gardens and Family Prize Puzzles. Each book has over 200 puzzles and there's about 6 of each year so plenty to keep you busy, also you can enter the ones that gave prizes attached.