Want to boost your memory and brain health? Discover how nuts can do wonders!

In times like these, where we're all doing our best to maintain sharp minds and healthy habits, it's important to stay informed about the latest research on well-being.

That's why we at the Seniors Discount Club are excited to share some fascinating new findings about brain health and, believe it or not, nuts!

The Power Of Nuts: A Game-Changer For Our Brains​

1686208538033.png
New research published in Clinical Nutrition has uncovered fascinating findings regarding the benefits of daily nut consumption. Image by ExplorerBob from pixabay

Recent study published in Clinical Nutrition has unveiled fascinating discoveries about the advantages of consuming nuts daily, particularly in relation to memory and brain health. These findings carry significant implications, so let's look deeper into them while enjoying a handful of nuts.

Nuts have long been celebrated for their remarkable benefits, including their ability to lower the risk of age-related conditions such as cognitive decline and cardiovascular disease.

Extensive studies conducted over the years have emphasised the positive influence of nuts within the highly acclaimed Mediterranean diet, specifically their ability to enhance cognitive performance in older adults.

However, the effects of nut consumption on the central arteries in the brain have remained relatively unexplored in scientific research.

The Incredible Study: Nuts Working Their Magic​

1686208538118.png
Researchers evaluated participants' cognitive performance and peripheral as well as brain vascular function at the end of both the intervention and control periods. Image by stevepb from pixabay

In this research, the scientists examined the long-term effects of consuming mixed nuts on brain vascular function and cognitive performance in healthy older adults aged 60 to 70.

Of course, those with nut allergies or intolerances had to sit this out, as well as those with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) contraindications.

The study followed a single-blinded, randomised controlled trial (RCT) approach with a unique cross-over design featuring 16-week intervention and control periods and an eight-week washout period in between.

During the intervention period, participants chowed down a daily dose of 60 grams of mixed nuts, including cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pistachios. How delicious!

To properly determine the effects, the researchers assessed the peripheral and brain vascular function and cognitive performance of each participant at the end of both the intervention and control periods.

They even used fancy MRI techniques to measure cerebral blood flow (CBF). Talk about thoroughness!

The Scrumptious Results​

1686208538192.png
The intervention was found to improve various aspects of the peripheral vascular system. Image from shutterstock

Within the 28 participants, the researchers found that the mixed-nut intervention led to a decrease in cholesterol and carbohydrate intake while boosting fibre intake.

Importantly, thanks to the delightful mixed nuts, CBF significantly increased within three clusters in the left frontal lobe, bilateral prefrontal cortex, and right parietal and frontal lobe.

But hold onto your walnuts because there's more!

The study also discovered improvements in cognitive performance, specifically memory, without any changes to psychomotor speed or executive function.

Furthermore, the intervention was linked to enhancements in various characteristics of the peripheral vascular tree.

Key Takeaways
  • A recent study published in Clinical Nutrition found that long-term consumption of mixed nuts improves brain vascular function and cognitive performance in older individuals.
  • The mixed-nut intervention included daily consumption of 60 grams of cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts, and pistachios, resulting in a decrease in cholesterol and carbohydrate intake and an increase in fibre intake as compared to the control group.
  • Following the mixed nut intervention, an increase in regional CBF (cerebral blood flow) was observed within three clusters in the left frontal lobe, bilateral prefrontal cortex, and right parietal and frontal lobe.
  • The study found improvements in cognitive performance within the memory domain and different characteristics of the peripheral vascular tree after the mixed nut intervention.
So there you have it! The humble yet mighty nut could be the key to unlocking better memory and brain health. Just remember, moderation is essential—don't go nuts on nuts!

If you're keen to give this a try, why not start incorporating a variety of nuts into your daily routine?

As always, you should speak to your GP before making any major health or dietary changes.

What are your thoughts on this, members? Are nuts already a part of your regular diet?

Sponsored
I have nuts every day , I buy bags of natural nuts , no salt and not roasted . When they are on special I buy more so I always have a supply . I roast my own nuts and leave them in an airtight container and have a handful after dinner with my decaf coffee.

Reactions: Thecla
I put a bag of nuts and seeds into my granola, and there is always more nuts in the pantry. Though some maybe honey coated, you need to play up sometimes.

Reactions: Thecla
I have nuts every day , I buy bags of natural nuts , no salt and not roasted . When they are on special I buy more so I always have a supply . I roast my own nuts and leave them in an airtight container and have a handful after dinner with my decaf coffee.
I wish I could stop at a handful!

I wish I could stop at a handful!

When nuts are on special I buy extra and keep them fresh in the freezer