Want Shiny Stainless Steel Taps? This Simple Thing Can Do The Trick!

You may know that a candle can create a soothing ambience or invigorate your living room with a delightful scent, but did you know it could also be a secret weapon for making your stainless steel taps sparkle?

We've always believed in giving credit where credit is due, and we all have someone to thank for this simple genius tip–Marilyn, a cleaning expert.

compressed-Untitled Project (1).jpeg
A woman has shared a quick and easy 'five-second tip’ to eliminate hard water stains from faucets and showerheads. Source: Tiktok

Marilyn recently shared a five-second trick to rid household appliances, particularly taps and showerheads, of those stubborn hard water stains.

Now, we imagine a few brows furrowing at the term 'hard water stains'. Stains? From water? How hard could it possibly be?

Well, let's dive into a quick crash course. Hard water stains result from water with high mineral content, usually calcium and magnesium particles.

These minerals react with soap, detergents, and other cleaning agents to create a stubborn chalky, white residue that has zero respect for your scrubbing efforts.

You'll typically find them on your taps, showerheads, and other appliances.

And for those wondering, 'Is hard water dangerous?'—the answer is it's generally not harmful.

While the buildup of soap residue could potentially disrupt the skin's natural bacterial balance, hard water in and of itself won't harm you.

So, how does Marilyn battle these? Cue the humble candle.

compressed-Untitled Project (2).jpeg
Candles can be used to remove hard water stains. Source: TikTok

That's right, folks! Marilyn's tip is simple: rub a candle all over your tapware and then buff the wax with a hand towel.

Marilyn wrote, 'Life hack: rub candle wax on your faucet. Water will bead right off. No more hard water stains!'

This acts as a protective layer and causes water to gracefully 'bead off' instead of leaving a trace, thereby elbowing the pesky hard water stains out of the way.

What's more, this method involves using candle wax, a natural and non-toxic compound. So, for those who prefer to keep their homes chemical-free, this tip is sheer perfection.

See Marilyn’s video here:

The appreciation for the simple tip shared by one individual to tackle hard water stains was widely expressed, with many people indicating their gratitude for the helpful tip.

One said, 'I really needed this, thank you—I'm going to do this to my whole sink.'

Another added, 'Wax paper works really well, too! Just rub it in…well.'

A third wrote, 'White vinegar on a microfiber towel works best for sinks and mirrors.'

Another recalled, 'My mum always used baby oil on our taps, and they'd sparkle.'

Key Takeaways
  • A woman has shared a simple 'five-second tip’ to remove hard water stains from faucets and showerheads using candle wax.
  • The tip involves rubbing a candle all over the tapware and buffing in the wax with a hand towel to prevent water stains and mineral build-up.
  • The cleaning tip can be used on all areas affected by hard water stains, including shower doors and pipes.
  • Hard water has high levels of calcium and magnesium particles, which may cause materials to build up on the skin and increase the likelihood of bacterial infections.

So there you have it, from beautiful illumination to craft projects and sparkling tapware— the humble candle has come to the rescue.

Have you ever tried using a candle to remove hard water stains from your taps or other household appliances? Also, if you have any other tips and tricks for tackling hard water stains, share them in the comment section below!

Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
I have my own method with the same result.
Car polish is the go - to in my home.
As well as tapware, it also works on shower screens. I give them all a go over with spray on car polish and buff it off.
Never had a problem with hard water effect. I give the bathrooms a go over once a month to maintain beading. Just like a car.

Reactions: Reaper123
Love anything that helps with the cleaning and doesn't have chemicals in it. We have a septic which works on good flora to break down the poo etc and chemicals kill that off, so thank you for this hint. 😀

This post got me thinking about a time I had a little candle magic of my own with bathroom taps. So, I was hosting a dinner party, and I wanted everything to sparkle, you know? But my bathroom taps were looking a bit dull. I remembered reading somewhere about using candle wax to shine stainless steel. Gave it a shot and, voilà, my taps were gleaming like new! Who knew a little candle could do wonders beyond just setting the mood? Thanks for the tip!

Last edited: