Want a longer life? Ditch yo-yo dieting now with this expert’s guide to maintaining a stable weight

We've all been there – trying one diet after another in a desperate attempt to drop a size quickly, only to gain the weight right back as soon as we ease up on the restrictive eating plan. But did you know yo-yo dieting could actually be shortening your life?

A groundbreaking new study from researchers at the University of California San Diego has found that maintaining a stable weight after age 60 may help you live longer than those who fluctuate up and down. Their findings showed that weight cycling, as it is clinically known, increased risks of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and some cancers over time.

'Yo-yoing between diets puts unnecessary stress on the body and leads to metabolic changes that make maintaining a healthy weight virtually impossible,' says nutritionist Uxshely Carcamo, who runs a popular therapy clinic helping clients break free from the destructive cycle of crash dieting.

i-yunmai-5jctAMjz21A-unsplash.jpg
Studies show that maintaining a stable weight after age 60 may help you live longer. Credit: Unsplash

Some of the physical harms of yo-yo dieting include losing muscle mass during periods of restriction, which slows metabolism long-term. The constant stretching and sagging of skin from rapid weight changes can also damage collagen over the years.

But it's the toll on mental health that often keeps people trapped in the vicious cycle, suffering anxiety and feelings of failure when they can't stick to unrealistic diet plans.

Carcamo sees clients of all ages who have tried every fad diet under the sun yet remain unhappily overweight due to this very reason. Through lifestyle and mindset changes focused on balanced, sustainable eating habits, many go on to not only lose weight but to maintain it for good.

'Setting reasonable goals like feeling healthier, not a number on the scale, is key,' she notes.

farhad-ibrahimzade-qgGc_1a6xGc-unsplash.jpg
Lifestyle and mindset change focusing on balanced and sustainable habits has helped people live happily and longer. Credit. Unsplash

Some of Carcamo's strategies include adopting an 'intuitive eating' approach – listening to hunger or fullness cues rather than obsessive calorie counting. She also encourages meal planning as if for a loved one to ensure balanced nutrition. And her clients ditch all-or-nothing rules by making minor tweaks to incorporate more whole foods, like adding berries to yoghurt instead of banning it entirely.

With this flexible mindset, it's no surprise to hear success stories like Joyce's. The 72-year-old widow lost 7 kilos gradually over a year. 'I have so much more energy now for my garden and hobbies. And it's stuck off long-term because I don't feel restricted,' she says.

Fellow client Margaret, 68, enjoys the social side of life more since shedding around 6 kilograms through Carcamo's guidance. 'I feel comfortable having the occasional treat. It's about balance and not beating myself up,' she notes.
Key Takeaways

• A recent study by the University of California San Diego has shown that maintaining a stable weight is key to longevity and decreases chances of contracting certain chronic diseases. Because of this, nutritionist Uxshely Carcamo suggests breaking the destructive cycle of yo-yo dieting.
  • Carcamo suggests setting realistic goals and designing a balanced diet plan that could be followed for life. Dramatic diets that are unsustainable lead to regaining the weight lost and can be harmful to both physical health and mental well-being.
  • She recommends gradual changes to existing diets, focusing on adding nutritious components to beloved meals rather than resorting to drastic measures like crash diets or completely banning certain foods.
  • Carcamo also emphasises the importance of recognising emotional reasons for unhealthy food choices and managing those triggers. She suggests finding healthier ways to manage stress or boredom rather than eating unhealthy food.

So whether your goal is a longer life, more zest for life, or simply slipping into old jeans, consider ditching crash diets for good. With small changes focused on nourishment over quick weight loss, you'll set yourself up for health and happiness at every age.

Have you tried fad diets in the past? Let us know in the comments below!

• Sad
Reactions: featherfour
Sponsored
We've all been there – trying one diet after another in a desperate attempt to drop a size quickly, only to gain the weight right back as soon as we ease up on the restrictive eating plan. But did you know yo-yo dieting could actually be shortening your life?

A groundbreaking new study from researchers at the University of California San Diego has found that maintaining a stable weight after age 60 may help you live longer than those who fluctuate up and down. Their findings showed that weight cycling, as it is clinically known, increased risks of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and some cancers over time.

'Yo-yoing between diets puts unnecessary stress on the body and leads to metabolic changes that make maintaining a healthy weight virtually impossible,' says nutritionist Uxshely Carcamo, who runs a popular therapy clinic helping clients break free from the destructive cycle of crash dieting.

View attachment 32415
Studies show that maintaining a stable weight after age 60 may help you live longer. Credit: Unsplash

Some of the physical harms of yo-yo dieting include losing muscle mass during periods of restriction, which slows metabolism long-term. The constant stretching and sagging of skin from rapid weight changes can also damage collagen over the years.

But it's the toll on mental health that often keeps people trapped in the vicious cycle, suffering anxiety and feelings of failure when they can't stick to unrealistic diet plans.

Carcamo sees clients of all ages who have tried every fad diet under the sun yet remain unhappily overweight due to this very reason. Through lifestyle and mindset changes focused on balanced, sustainable eating habits, many go on to not only lose weight but to maintain it for good.

'Setting reasonable goals like feeling healthier, not a number on the scale, is key,' she notes.

View attachment 32414
Lifestyle and mindset change focusing on balanced and sustainable habits has helped people live happily and longer. Credit. Unsplash

Some of Carcamo's strategies include adopting an 'intuitive eating' approach – listening to hunger or fullness cues rather than obsessive calorie counting. She also encourages meal planning as if for a loved one to ensure balanced nutrition. And her clients ditch all-or-nothing rules by making minor tweaks to incorporate more whole foods, like adding berries to yoghurt instead of banning it entirely.

With this flexible mindset, it's no surprise to hear success stories like Joyce's. The 72-year-old widow lost 7 kilos gradually over a year. 'I have so much more energy now for my garden and hobbies. And it's stuck off long-term because I don't feel restricted,' she says.

Fellow client Margaret, 68, enjoys the social side of life more since shedding around 6 kilograms through Carcamo's guidance. 'I feel comfortable having the occasional treat. It's about balance and not beating myself up,' she notes.
Key Takeaways

• A recent study by the University of California San Diego has shown that maintaining a stable weight is key to longevity and decreases chances of contracting certain chronic diseases. Because of this, nutritionist Uxshely Carcamo suggests breaking the destructive cycle of yo-yo dieting.
  • Carcamo suggests setting realistic goals and designing a balanced diet plan that could be followed for life. Dramatic diets that are unsustainable lead to regaining the weight lost and can be harmful to both physical health and mental well-being.
  • She recommends gradual changes to existing diets, focusing on adding nutritious components to beloved meals rather than resorting to drastic measures like crash diets or completely banning certain foods.
  • Carcamo also emphasises the importance of recognising emotional reasons for unhealthy food choices and managing those triggers. She suggests finding healthier ways to manage stress or boredom rather than eating unhealthy food.

So whether your goal is a longer life, more zest for life, or simply slipping into old jeans, consider ditching crash diets for good. With small changes focused on nourishment over quick weight loss, you'll set yourself up for health and happiness at every age.

Have you tried fad diets in the past? Let us know in the comments below!
Yup!!!! I have just about tried all of them at one time or another. It took me a year to lose 25kilos and less than thato to put it all back on again. That was a stringent
ritual that wasn't easy to maintain long term. But I do try to eat properly most of the time. It doesn't help when just about everybody gives you boxes of chocolates
for Birthdays, Christmas, and Easter.
Thank you friends and family members,
Not !!!

It took me a while to realise this. I have lost over twenty kilos over about 19 months. A lifestyle change is the way to go. If you are weighing food and restricting yourself it makes you feel like you’re on a diet and the yo-yo dieting cycle will continue. No food is banned in what I do. But I save sugary treats for special occasions. If I go to a birthday party I will never refuse cake but it’s not something I eat every day. I’m a chocaholic so I do have to watch my addiction. I go for sugar free chocolate or low sugar protein bars if I need a fix, but I have had one or two real chocolates over Christmas but now I dont have to eat the whole box lol

I believe in everything in moderation.....that way my weight stays much the same and has done for years. Chocolates can last for weeks as only have 2 every so often. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables which I love, and stay away from junk foods.
Keeping to a healthy weight, I have more energy to do things.

I've been intermittent fasting with a window of 8 hrs to eat in, Not eating or taking any calories from around 6pm - 10am has been working for me. It's not a diet, but it's a different way of loosing weight and a lifestyle choice. I break it from time to time and it's not an issue, in fact, I lost weight over Christmas even with eating all the yummy foods and sweets on offer. I drink tea in between as it has minimum calories or water to keep hydrated.

Yup!!!! I have just about tried all of them at one time or another. It took me a year to lose 25kilos and less than thato to put it all back on again. That was a stringent
ritual that wasn't easy to maintain long term. But I do try to eat properly most of the time. It doesn't help when just about everybody gives you boxes of chocolates
for Birthdays, Christmas, and Easter.
Thank you friends and family members,
Not !!!
I know what you mean about everyone giving you chocolates. I have so many boxes lined up in the pantry. Not good when you’re an undisciplined chocoholic!

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I know these diet experts have the absolute best of intentions, but honestly, I believe that if there was such a thing as "intuitive eating" then there wouldn't be this massive problem of being overweight. We're hardwired to love food with maximum calories, because back in an far earlier part of our evolution, we needed to be finding that energy just to survive and pass on our hungry, hungry genes. I wish my brain could adapt to this world of abundance and be as moderate as some of the others posting here.

Reactions: Leoniey and PattiB