Walk Down Memory Lane with Mushroom Cakes

I was sitting down going through some of my cooks books and a blast from the past was begging for me to make.

Who remembers Mushroom cakes ?

Don't worry they only look like mushrooms.
Screenshot_20230905_134634_Gallery.jpg

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
  • 1/3 cup (110g) raspberry jam
  • 1/3 cup (45g) crushed nuts
  • 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
Cream filling
  • 90 gram butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) milk, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
    To make pastry, beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, add egg, beat until just combined. Stir in sifted flour. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead gently until smooth, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 200°C 180 C fan-forced Grease two x 12-hole round-based patty pans.
    Roll out pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 24 rounds from pastry and press rounds into pan holes. Prick pastry cases well with a fork.
    To make stalks, roll pastry scraps into a 8mm-thick sausage, cut 30 x 1.5cm-long stalks. Place on lightly greased oven tray.
    Bake cases and stalks about 12 minutes.Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Meanwhile, make cream filling. Beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in milk and water, a teaspoon at a time
    Spread inside of pastry cases with jam, sprinkle with nuts. Fill cases with cream filling, level tops with spatula. Sprinkle with sifted cocoa. Press stalks into filling.

Sponsored
I'd forgotten all about these delightful little cakes that my Auntie made, they were delicious and her specialty, my Mum's specialty were butterfly cakes and bought a packet from the bakery in Coles recently, my grandchildren had never heard of them but they were a great hit when they tried them. Looks like I'll be making mushrooms for them now. Thanks for reminding me of these gorgeous little morsels.

I was sitting down going through some of my cooks books and a blast from the past was begging for me to make.

View attachment 29119

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 egg
Cream filling
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
    To make pastry, beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, add egg, beat until just combined. Stir in sifted flour. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead gently until smooth, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 200°C 180 C fan-forced Grease two x 12-hole round-based patty pans.
    Roll out pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 24 rounds from pastry and press rounds into pan holes. Prick pastry cases well with a fork.
    To make stalks, roll pastry scraps into a 8mm-thick sausage, cut 30 x 1.5cm-long stalks. Place on lightly greased oven tray.
Meanwhile, make cream filling. Beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in milk and water, a teaspoon at a time
    Spread inside of pastry cases with jam, sprinkle with nuts. Fill cases with cream filling, level tops with spatula. Sprinkle with sifted cocoa. Press stalks into filling.
my goodness I remember these when I was a child haven't seen them for ages brings back nice memories. I can remember going to my aunties house and she used to make them. it is lovely to get these memories thank you Suzanne rose something else to make and look forward to cooking

My mum used to make “mushrooms“ which I loved & butterfly cakes. My local bakery makes them but not as good as my late mums. Surprised WA doesnt have them, will start asking at all the bakeries I visit next time I’m in Perth.

View attachment 29119

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 egg
Cream filling
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
There is a cake shop in Moorebank NSW that still sells these ..... and they are sooooo good!

View attachment 29119

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 egg
Cream filling
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
I can feel the cheeks of arse spreading as I read the articled recipe!! 😉😉😉

I remember these cakes. My mother in law also used to make apple and caramel tarts the same way, with cream and nutmeg sprinkled on the cream and the little stalks in the middle. They were so yummy. I will make some with my grandchildren for our dress up tea party when they come and stay in the next school holidays.

My dad was a chef and he made the best pastry and sponge cakes. I used to buy the ingredients for these mushrooms and go to visit Mum and Dad and get dad to make these up for me. I was 20+ at the time. I should have taken more notice when dad made them. Thank you for the recipe I will give these a go

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 29119

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 egg
Cream filling
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
Meanwhile, make cream filling. Beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in milk and water, a teaspoon at a timeSpread inside of pastry cases with jam, sprinkle with nuts. Fill cases with cream filling, level tops with spatula. Sprinkle with sifted cocoa. Press stalks into filling.
I remember a lady I knew in my early teens who made these, I thought them the most tasty and cute looking tartlets ever.

My mum used to make Butterfly cakes but l have never seen or heard of nenish tarts or mushroom cakes before.

Suzanne rose, do you have a photo of the tarts please?