Walk Down Memory Lane with Mushroom Cakes

I was sitting down going through some of my cooks books and a blast from the past was begging for me to make.

Who remembers Mushroom cakes ?

Don't worry they only look like mushrooms.
Screenshot_20230905_134634_Gallery.jpg

Ingredients​

Mushrooms
  • 90 gram butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 2/3 cup (250g) plain flour
  • 1/3 cup (110g) raspberry jam
  • 1/3 cup (45g) crushed nuts
  • 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
Cream filling
  • 90 gram butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) milk, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) water

Method​

Mushrooms
    To make pastry, beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth and creamy, add egg, beat until just combined. Stir in sifted flour. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead gently until smooth, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
    Preheat oven to 200°C 180 C fan-forced Grease two x 12-hole round-based patty pans.
    Roll out pastry between sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Using 6.5cm round cutter, cut 24 rounds from pastry and press rounds into pan holes. Prick pastry cases well with a fork.
    To make stalks, roll pastry scraps into a 8mm-thick sausage, cut 30 x 1.5cm-long stalks. Place on lightly greased oven tray.
    Bake cases and stalks about 12 minutes.Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Meanwhile, make cream filling. Beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in milk and water, a teaspoon at a time
    Spread inside of pastry cases with jam, sprinkle with nuts. Fill cases with cream filling, level tops with spatula. Sprinkle with sifted cocoa. Press stalks into filling.

Sponsored
You can still find them in a few shops in Sydney. They are easy to make but as I'm the inly one who will eat them I don't make them anymore . I used to make them for my grandfather
That was very nice of you for your dear Grandfather. I've never made them.

View attachment 30022
And their were similar ones but with pineapple n cream inside and I think passionfruit icing
Thankyou Suzanne rose. Definitely something l could enjoy without sharing around. (l guess the cook was the lucky taste tester 😉).
Like the idea of multi layers to tempt my taste & think they would need to be eaten in small bites to make them last longer.

Reactions: Suzanne rose