Virgin Australia reveals game-changing pet policy

In a groundbreaking announcement that could reshape domestic air travel, Virgin Australia has unveiled plans to allow small pets to accompany their owners in the cabin on select flights.

This marks a significant departure from the standard industry norm where pets, regardless of size, are usually transported in the cargo hold.

Former Virgin Australia CEO Jayne Hrdlicka shared the news with eager pet owners on March 7, adding that this would be a first for the airline industry in Australia.

Subject to regulatory approval, the launch of pet flights on certain domestic routes is expected to transpire within the coming year.

GIBdk3nbIAAwvMZ.jpg
Virgin Australia announced a game-changing pet policy. Image source: @VirginAustralia/X (Twitter)

Picture this: there will be exclusive rows dedicated to pet owners travelling with their furry companions. Dogs or cats, large or small, no need to part ways before boarding.

The only thing to bear in mind is that pets must be small enough to fit comfortably in a pet carrier under the seat in front of the owner.

For the safety and comfort of all the passengers, pets will not be allowed to wander around freely or sit on their owner's laps during the entirety of the flight.

'Overwhelmingly, our guests tell us that they wish to travel with their pets, and now, we're on the pathway to making it a reality,' Hrdlicka shared.

'This is a common practice overseas and has proved to work quite well,’ she added.

Considering that nearly 70 per cent of Australian households own pets, this change could have a huge impact on a lot of travellers.

‘It’s also a great thing for pet-friendly accommodation providers who will benefit greatly from increased connectivity and the ease for travellers to fly with their pets,’ the former CEO said.

‘It really will be a whole new economy for pet travel in Australia,’ Hrdlicka continued.

It should be stressed, however, that the current arrangements for approved service animals will remain unchanged.

And for those passengers travelling with larger pets, they can still utilise the existing option of having their pet transported as cargo at an additional cost.

Many individuals have shown their enthusiasm regarding the recent announcement on social media.

One traveller posted: ‘This is such great news! Thanks for making travel with pets easier–can't wait to fly Virgin with our puppy in the near future!’

‘Finally! We’re so far behind the rest of the world in terms of animal travel,’ another wrote.

While some may welcome the news, others have raised concerns about the impact of allowing pets in the cabin on other passengers.

Noise disturbance and allergies among passengers are the top concerns.

‘That’s me done, Qantas my only option in this case, unfortunately. I am highly allergic to cats so not a chance I could be on board a flight with one,’ one social media user said.

Another asked: ‘What happens if you have an allergy? How can you find out if you’ll have a dog/cat sitting beside you?’

To which the airline responded: ‘It’s really important to us that there is minimal impact to guests who are not carrying a pet, and for this reason, we will be using the next few months to design a safe proposition with strict rules. Rest assured; all of this is being taken care of!’

It is also important to note that airlines need to ensure adequate cleaning and sanitising of cabins between flights, given the higher risk of spills, shedding and incidentals due to pets.

Moreover, findings from the University of Melbourne indicate that a mere 11.1 per cent of Australian seniors are pet owners. This shift may not be received favourably, considering the majority of individuals within this age bracket do not have pets.

Nevertheless, there's no denying that Virgin Australia's announcement is a step towards making air travel more inclusive and pet-friendly in Australia.

If successful, it could pave the way for other airlines to follow suit, truly revolutionising the way we travel with our furry friends.
Key Takeaways
  • Virgin Australia announced plans to allow small pets to join their owners in the cabin on specified domestic flights, pending regulatory approval.
  • The initiative would make Virgin the first Australian airline to offer such a service, with the launch possibly occurring within the next year.
  • There will be designated areas on these flights for passengers with pets, but restrictions require the animals to stay in carriers under the seat.
  • The move is anticipated to create a new economy for pet travel in Australia, benefiting pet owners and pet-friendly accommodation providers.
What are your thoughts on this proposal, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Then book a seat on a flight that does not carry pets ... easy solution! Not every Virgin flight will be carrying pets, you will know when booking whether that particular flight is pet-free or not, and even the ones that are carrying them will have the pets and owners in a dedicated seating area.
How dedicated are those ‘dedicated seating areas’ that you mention?

Here’s a scenario - only one person needs to travel on a flight on a particular day and wants to book to fly with a pet. That is one seat for the owner and under the seat for the dog or cat. What happens to the other seat or two seats? Will Virgin forego the value of them? I bet you not, they will want as much revenue as they can get by making sure they are also sold. Will there be dedicated seat/s set aside for passengers with pets on every flight or will prospective passengers be told “sorry, our next flight that will carry pets is not due for another week/fortnight/month”. Virgin is possibly jumping the gun with this.

Reactions: DLHM
Pets small enough to fit into a carrier under the front seat?
Would this include pet mice, pet snakes, pet iguanas, or pet cockatoos?

I need to change the colour of my skin, have small pets, be very hard up, and whinge a lot then I will just maybe, just maybe be one of a minority.

Reactions: DLHM
"it is about time Australia caught up with the times". Yes; let's do as do the other stupids in the USA and Europe. At least in Vietnam dog-tucker is still available in certain restaurants; it certainly beats boiled smashed chicken with fish sauce, cabbage with cold rice.
How dedicated are those ‘dedicated seating areas’ that you mention?

Here’s a scenario - only one person needs to travel on a flight on a particular day and wants to book to fly with a pet. That is one seat for the owner and under the seat for the dog or cat. What happens to the other seat or two seats? Will Virgin forego the value of them? I bet you not, they will want as much revenue as they can get by making sure they are also sold. Will there be dedicated seat/s set aside for passengers with pets on every flight or will prospective passengers be told “sorry, our next flight that will carry pets is not due for another week/fortnight/month”. Virgin is possibly jumping the gun with this.
I don’t like the idea of having pets on flights. I think it’s not only unfair to other passengers, but it doesn’t sound very pleasant for the pet either. Some animals can become quite agitated in unfamiliar environments and perhaps even unpredictable behaviour.

As others have mentioned, there are a number of potential problems, including the health of human passengers. And what about when meals are served?

Perhaps a trial would benefit passengers and pets before making a final decision.

Just because other countries have a policy of including pets on flights, doesn’t mean Australia has to follow suit.

Baaa, baaa 🐑🐑
yes, australia has to follow suit. they follow everything that is a minority. not much good being white, having a brain, drug-free plus all else. Virgin your off my list. I will not be classed as a pet put in a cage and under the seat. People that is what this plane load will be with the stupid owners attached. all that will be needed is the stuffed turkey.

Reactions: DLHM and Rob44