Viral Woolworths photo evokes nostalgia among Aussies: ‘Bring back the good old days’

Nostalgia is a powerful sentiment, especially when it comes to reminiscing about the good old days of bargain shopping and community gathering spots.

Recently, a Woolworths menu from over half a century ago has captured the hearts of shoppers, sparking a wave of nostalgia-fueled calls for the return of a cherished supermarket feature.

The image, which was uploaded to social media, showcased a Woolworths cafeteria menu from 1970, with prices that seem almost too good to be true by today's standards.

The menu lists mouth-watering options such as Baked Macaroni with old English cheese for just 99 cents and a hearty baked meatloaf dinner complete with brown gravy, creamy whipped potatoes, and garden vegetables for a mere 95 cents.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 075112.png
A menu from a Woolworths cafeteria in the 1970s became popular on social media. Image source: Facebook

For a little over a dollar, customers could indulge in a roast beef dinner with all the trimmings.

The Woolworths cafeteria wasn't just a place to grab a cheap meal; it was a social hub, a place where shoppers could take a break from their retail therapy and enjoy a warm, cooked meal.

It was a staple of the Woolworths experience in the 1950s and 1960s before the cafeterias were eventually phased out.

The viral photo has stirred up a wealth of fond memories among customers who remember the days when a trip to Woolies could include a sit-down meal that wouldn't break the bank.

Comments like 'Bring back the good old days' and 'Dinner was cheap back then' reflect a yearning for the simplicity and affordability of the past.

Another shared: ‘My husband and I used to go to Woolworths for dinner once a week when we first got married as a "treat."’

‘Wow—memories. I remember many a weekend eating at their counter. My mum also worked there many moons ago. Those were the good old reasonable days,’ a fourth person said.

‘I used to go there, I completely forgot the prices though! Hmmm, I wonder if in 45-50 years the menu board would say $49.99,’ someone commented.

However, some savvy shoppers pointed out that while the prices seemed shockingly low, they were proportional to the wages of the time.

In 1970, an average full-time worker in Australia earned around $20 a week, making the 99-cent lunch special a significant expense.

Fast-forward to today, and the full-time average adult weekly wage is $1,886.50, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of a cafeteria meal today would be comparable to what it was back then.

A social media user commented: ‘Multiply the prices [by] 13-14 and it'd be the same today.’

Despite the economic rationale, the emotional appeal of the Woolworths cafeteria is undeniable. The photo has sparked a conversation about the changing nature of shopping and dining and whether there's room in modern Woolworths stores for a revival of the beloved cafeteria.

As we reflect on the changing times, it's worth considering what we've gained and what we've lost. The convenience of modern supermarkets, with their vast selection and one-stop-shop appeal, is undeniable.

Yet, there's something to be said for the community aspect of the old Woolworths cafeterias, where a meal was more than just sustenance; it was an opportunity to connect with neighbours and take a moment to relax during a busy day.
Key Takeaways
  • A nostalgic Woolworths cafeteria menu from 1970 has sparked excitement among customers and calls for the return of the service.
  • The original lunch specials, such as Baked Macaroni with old English cheese, were offered for just 99 cents.
  • Many customers reminisce about the affordability of meals back then, emphasising how cheap it was to dine at the Woolworths cafeteria.
  • Some commenters have pointed out the price difference relative to wages at the time, highlighting that while the prices seemed low, they were proportionate to the lower wages of the era.
What do you think, members? Would you welcome the return of the Woolworths cafeteria, or are those days best left in the past? Share your thoughts and memories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I remember going to the Coles cafeteria, (similar to the Woolworths one in the story) every school holidays our mum would take us for a day shopping for new clothes and other things and the treat always was to have lunch in the cafeteria at Coles. It was always so busy. Simple pleasures like this are not the same today, everything has to be fast and impersonal. Bring back some of the old things that I grew up with and still remember (and miss) today.

I remember going to the Coles cafeteria, (similar to the Woolworths one in the story) every school holidays our mum would take us for a day shopping for new clothes and other things and the treat always was to have lunch in the cafeteria at Coles. It was always so busy. Simple pleasures like this are not the same today, everything has to be fast and impersonal. Bring back some of the old things that I grew up with and still remember (and miss) today.
Did that with my Mum too. She always let me choose Woolworths or Coles. I always picked Coles and without fail instead of having a meal I always had Raisin Toast and Hot Chocolate. I tried to do the same with my son. So disappointed. Never went again.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
Actually the minimum adult wage in 1970 was in the vicinity of $40+. I was 17yo working as a bowser boy on $28 pw. The current minimum wage stands in the vicinity of $800 pw. The average wage is a mean average of the minimum wage added to the wages of professionals etc and divided by the number of wages entered.
Using that as a guideline, the minimum wage has increased by roughly 2,000% (that is x20). Apply that formula to the menu prices listed and that gives a better perspective. It was still a good value feed for the money 😋🤠

In Morrisons, an English supermarket, every Tuesday was any adult meal and children eat for free, well, can you imagine that now over here, FREE not

Reactions: Kayleen64
if one relates the prices of things today as to the prices of things in relation to earnings from yesteryear you will find houses have never been cheaper today???

Id really like to know where they get the AVERAGE Weekly wage of $1800.00. IF that was the case, everyone would be scrambling for a job.... ANY job!!!! Hugely inflated amount... the AVERAGE WEEKLY wage is no where near This amount.

Reactions: Glucose
The presented article refers that to-day, the average wage being at $1886.50/ wk. What an absolute load of "BALLDERDASH". For a greater part of the population, &, for the average "Joe Blow", I reckon the average wage is more likely $886.50/wk. A select number of the population may earn the $18886.50 /wk., but in my opinion & thoughts, not too many.

You cannot live in the past, it is unhealthy, but NEVER forget those great memories. Cherish them.

The presented article refers that to-day, the average wage being at $1886.50/ wk. What an absolute load of "BALLDERDASH". For a greater part of the population, &, for the average "Joe Blow", I reckon the average wage is more likely $886.50/wk. A select number of the population may earn the $18886.50 /wk., but in my opinion & thoughts, not too many.
God point! Info source for $1886.50 wage, please.

Customer service is a thing of the past. It's all about how much money they can get out of us now. Lets hope things change change when that idiot Banducchi is gone. At the rate he's going WW won't have any customers left.

I was born in Victoria & l only remember Cole’s department stores were the one’s who had the cafeteria, it was a real treat if my mother took us there because we were very poor my mother was left to bring four children up on her own. Many years later l ended up working for Cole’s in the heart of Melbourne l worked in the cafeteria for 6 months you got to know the people who regularly had meals there every day.
If the cafeterias were to return l truly don’t think it would be as good today as most of it would be pre cooked food full of rubbish to give it a longer shelf life and the cost would also be much higher than it should be due to all the over heads like wages - gst and more taxes the setting up of the cafeteria’ plus the ridiculous prices plus those who have a small cafe near by it would hurt them & were a lot of the little cafe’s the owners have worked hated they put there heart & sole’s in to there dreams of succeeding for the small guys it is a cut throat world for them, support the little guys they need it more than Woolies. Remember Woolie & Cole’s it is all about the money they won’t remember your name but the little guys will to the point they will remember what you like to eat & drink it is much more personal when you are a regular you are not just a face. Each to their own l would not spend my money in a Woolie’s cafeteria. Just putting it out there.

Reactions: gordon1940
In Morrisons, an English supermarket, every Tuesday was any adult meal and children eat for free, well, can you imagine that now over here, FREE not
So true as l have told my children from the time they could really understand about life & the world nothing is for nothing there is always going to be some catch some where.