Viral photo of a door exposes how unsafe many women feel in their own homes

The internet can be a battleground for trolls and cyberbullies to spread their venom but on occasion, it does become a platform for awareness efforts and crucial conversations.

One of these instances occurred when a Reddit user shared a photo of a blacked-out door and a handle of bells to warn potential intruders, describing the changes she made after two creepy encounters with a male delivery driver.

Sharing her story to the popular social media platform Reddit, the Canadian woman said that she felt the need to make changes to feel safe inside her own home.

‘I hate living alone as a woman!’ She captioned and attached a picture of her front door. Only the glass window was taped up with what looked like black cardboard, and bells hanging from the door knob.

woman.jpg
The woman was scared after being stalked by a delivery man. Credit: Bas Masseus/Pexels

In the now-deleted post, she explained that the man was an Amazon delivery driver in civilian clothing and that this man – after the first time he dropped off a package at her doorstep – asked her out on a date.

And although she ‘declined nicely’, the man visited her home again a week later without a package to be delivered, and repeatedly continued to ask her out.

‘He saw my lights on and a car in the laneway,’ said the woman. She added that the man was pushy and repeatedly asked her out to the point that she felt her privacy was being invaded.

‘It freaked me out.’

woman1.jpg
The actual photo of the woman’s door. Credit: Reddit

Feeling uneasy, the woman said she ‘sprang into action’ and did all that she could to make herself feel safe again. She mentioned that she has since replaced the blackboard with a privacy sticker film and installed a camera.

‘I had never felt the need to use it before but the comments section has changed my mind,’ she admitted.

Aside from that, she redirected her future Amazon packages to a friend’s address and reported the delivery man to Amazon directly. She also removed her phone number from postage labels.

Since the incident, the woman revealed that she’s gotten better supplies and feels ‘much safer’.

She added: ‘There are SO many stories here that people should know happen to women on a daily basis.’ Her original post had amassed 62,000 likes and more than 6,000 comments – with many users sharing their own similar experiences with stalkers.

Some shared their tactics to prevent inappropriate behaviour from postal workers and delivery staff. These included ordering items under a man’s name, installing motion-activated door alarms, and pretending that another man lives in the house.

woman3.jpg
One-in-fifteen men become victims of stalking according to experts. Credit: Victor/Pexels

‘Had a dude that delivered my groceries come back and want to visit…Glad I have visible cameras and motion lights,’ shared one.

Someone else described their experience with a stalker. They said that the man worked for their local public works and highway and helped her remove snow from their driveway. But then he continued to randomly show up at her home and left notes on her door.

It escalated to him bringing another person to her house to ‘assess her roof’ while she wasn’t home, without any invitation to visit. She succeeded in making him leave her alone, but when she saw him years later, he treated her like she ‘cheated’ on him.

Someone else said that a good deterrent is to set men’s work boots outside. A man replied under this comment saying, ‘As a man, I can’t imagine incorporating survival skills in my daily routine. The world is truly a f***ed-up place for women’.

The Victorian Law Reform Commission estimated that one-in-six women and around one-in-fifteen men become victims of stalking. And that the behaviour of some stalkers can escalate into serious violence such as homicide or suicide.

While a single behaviour or instance may not be illegal, it becomes criminal when the conduct is now directed at another person with ‘specific intent’.
Key Takeaways

• A photo of a door with a blacked-out window and a handle of bells has sparked a discussion about women’s safety, with thousands of people sharing their experiences online.
  • The poster said she felt the need to make these changes after ‘two creepy encounters with a male delivery driver’.
  • People in the thread also shared their experiences of dealing with stalkers, and tactics to thwart inappropriate postal workers and delivery staff.
  • The Victorian Law Reform Commission estimated that at least one-in-six women and around one-in-15 men become victims of stalking.
We hope everyone stays safe out there! If you or someone you know is getting harassed, immediately get the authorities involved.

Sponsored
The internet can be a battleground for trolls and cyberbullies to spread their venom but on occasion, it does become a platform for awareness efforts and crucial conversations.

One of these instances occurred when a Reddit user shared a photo of a blacked-out door and a handle of bells to warn potential intruders, describing the changes she made after two creepy encounters with a male delivery driver.

Sharing her story to the popular social media platform Reddit, the Canadian woman said that she felt the need to make changes to feel safe inside her own home.

‘I hate living alone as a woman!’ She captioned and attached a picture of her front door. Only the glass window was taped up with what looked like black cardboard, and bells hanging from the door knob.

View attachment 9842
The woman was scared after being stalked by a delivery man. Credit: Bas Masseus/Pexels

In the now-deleted post, she explained that the man was an Amazon delivery driver in civilian clothing and that this man – after the first time he dropped off a package at her doorstep – asked her out on a date.

And although she ‘declined nicely’, the man visited her home again a week later without a package to be delivered, and repeatedly continued to ask her out.

‘He saw my lights on and a car in the laneway,’ said the woman. She added that the man was pushy and repeatedly asked her out to the point that she felt her privacy was being invaded.

‘It freaked me out.’

View attachment 9843

Feeling uneasy, the woman said she ‘sprang into action’ and did all that she could to make herself feel safe again. She mentioned that she has since replaced the blackboard with a privacy sticker film and installed a camera.

‘I had never felt the need to use it before but the comments section has changed my mind,’ she admitted.

Aside from that, she redirected her future Amazon packages to a friend’s address and reported the delivery man to Amazon directly. She also removed her phone number from postage labels.

Since the incident, the woman revealed that she’s gotten better supplies and feels ‘much safer’.

She added: ‘There are SO many stories here that people should know happen to women on a daily basis.’ Her original post had amassed 62,000 likes and more than 6,000 comments – with many users sharing their own similar experiences with stalkers.

Some shared their tactics to prevent inappropriate behaviour from postal workers and delivery staff. These included ordering items under a man’s name, installing motion-activated door alarms, and pretending that another man lives in the house.

View attachment 9844
One-in-fifteen men become victims of stalking according to experts. Credit: Victor/Pexels

‘Had a dude that delivered my groceries come back and want to visit…Glad I have visible cameras and motion lights,’ shared one.

Someone else described their experience with a stalker. They said that the man worked for their local public works and highway and helped her remove snow from their driveway. But then he continued to randomly show up at her home and left notes on her door.

It escalated to him bringing another person to her house to ‘assess her roof’ while she wasn’t home, without any invitation to visit. She succeeded in making him leave her alone, but when she saw him years later, he treated her like she ‘cheated’ on him.

Someone else said that a good deterrent is to set men’s work boots outside. A man replied under this comment saying, ‘As a man, I can’t imagine incorporating survival skills in my daily routine. The world is truly a f***ed-up place for women’.

The Victorian Law Reform Commission estimated that one-in-six women and around one-in-fifteen men become victims of stalking. And that the behaviour of some stalkers can escalate into serious violence such as homicide or suicide.

While a single behaviour or instance may not be illegal, it becomes criminal when the conduct is now directed at another person with ‘specific intent’.
Key Takeaways

• A photo of a door with a blacked-out window and a handle of bells has sparked a discussion about women’s safety, with thousands of people sharing their experiences online.
  • The poster said she felt the need to make these changes after ‘two creepy encounters with a male delivery driver’.
  • People in the thread also shared their experiences of dealing with stalkers, and tactics to thwart inappropriate postal workers and delivery staff.
  • The Victorian Law Reform Commission estimated that at least one-in-six women and around one-in-15 men become victims of stalking.
We hope everyone stays safe out there! If you or someone you know is getting harassed, immediately get the authorities involved.
people like these stalkers need to be taken around the back of the shed and get the Cr*p beaten out of them, Its called "An Attitude Adjustment" or a "Physical triple A"

I have a few older female friends who have more locks and security than fort Knox for these reasons. One said she is conscious of car jacking etc. she uses the auto lock doors button every time she drives adding it deters jacking cause if they cannot open the door and drag you out they panic and run off. Others carry some kind of spray bottle in a pocket
Its sad that people men and women have to live in fear cause the justice system keeps letting stalkers, juvenile car thieves go with just a slap on the wrist.

View attachment 9842

‘It freaked me out.’

View attachment 9843

View attachment 9844

Key Takeaways

When my Daughter flew the nest, I put in peephole in front door and chainslide locks on front and back door 🚪

Since I moved to the country some 10 years ago I haven't locked my doors. My back door is open 24/7 to allow my dogs to come and go at will. Even when I go out my doors are still unlocked, not sure I could even lay my hands on the door keys in a hurry. There are a lot of down sides to living rural but being scared while at home alone isn't one of them. :)

Since I moved to the country some 10 years ago I haven't locked my doors. My back door is open 24/7 to allow my dogs to come and go at will. Even when I go out my doors are still unlocked, not sure I could even lay my hands on the door keys in a hurry. There are a lot of down sides to living rural but being scared while at home alone isn't one of them. :)
Same here Ricci, it may be 40ks to Wagga to do shopping, but this small country town is very safe.

Reactions: Ricci
As a single woman when getting quotes for any jobs I need done around the house and am asking for a pensioner discount, I always tell contractors that my partner needs to see all quotes first as the final decision is up to him. This way they can't just assume that I am a single person on a pension. I learnt a long time ago that if workmen realise you are on your own they will do any and everything in their power to try to force you into taking their quote.

It's disheartening to hear about instances where women don't feel safe in their own homes.

Reactions: Ricci