Vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s shocks Aussies with its serving suggestion – are you willing to give it a try?

Move over, Vegemite toast! It looks like there's a new trend in town when it comes to delicious foods that can be slathered with this beloved Aussie spread.

OK, we're overreacting a bit… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

But if you're looking for something new to do with your beloved jar at home, then you might want to take some inspiration from an old recipe that resurfaced online.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.27.41 AM.png
An image of a vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s surfaced online. Credit: Woolworths (left), Facebook (right).

A man recently posted a photo of an antique jar of Vegemite to the Facebook group Old Shops Australia, claiming that his father had discovered it on a construction site some 40 years ago.

Another member of the group chimed in to confirm that the artwork was indeed used for Vegemite between the years 1930 and 1939.

A glass jar with a rusted cover and a yellow label that has been torn to shreds can be seen in the photos, the latter of which features an old-school version of the now-iconic Vegemite logo.

But what really stunned fans of the household staple were the featured serving suggestions - one of which is decidedly unusual (to say the least).

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.27.29 AM.png
The vintage Vegemite has an 'unusual' serving suggestion printed on its label. Credit: Facebook.

The vintage Vegemite's packaging recommends using it in 'soups, stews, and gravies' or mixing half to an entire teaspoon with milk or water for 'a nourishing beverage', which has social media users scratching their heads.

Safe to say, they weren't happy about it!

'Vegemite on toast just about every day of my life, but in milk, you have to be kidding,' one user commented on the social media post, while others declared the once-popular concoction 'disgusting' and 'yuck'.

Other Aussies in the Facebook group were also taken on a journey down memory lane, recalling being given the peculiar combination as children when they were sick.

'My mum used to make Vegemite soup for us when we were sick as kids. It was so good,' one woman wrote, while another said her mother gave it to her when she had glandular fever in the 1980s.

'She said her mum (my nanna) would give it to her when she was sick! Omg, I'll never forget it because I swear I threw it up and could still taste it for days. It was just awful,' she went on to say.
Tip
Vegemite is salty and savoury, so it pairs best with other salty foods. It mixes well with beef and chicken dishes.
Vegemite in drinks, soups, and broths may not be as popular as it once was, but others said they are willing to give these a try.

Some people also swear they still enjoy them once in a while. 'A teaspoon of Vegemite in a cup of boiling water, tip over cut-up buttered bread. Yum!' one man wrote in the comments.

The strange Vegemite combos didn't end there; one mum even shared that her children would be upset if there weren't any Vegemite on their Weet-Bix and milk. Truly, it's up to each person to decide what they like best!
Key Takeaways

• A vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s with a controversial serving suggestion printed on the back has divided hundreds of Aussies.
  • The label on the jar suggested stirring half a teaspoon of the spread into warm milk or water to make a 'nourishing beverage'.
  • People have mixed reactions to the idea of Vegemite in milk, with some people curious to try it and others finding the idea revolting.
So what do you think, members? If you're feeling a bit adventurous, why not give one of these vintage Vegemite recipes a try? And if you do, let us know how it turns out - we'd love to hear from you!

Sponsored
Move over, Vegemite toast! It looks like there's a new trend in town when it comes to delicious foods that can be slathered with this beloved Aussie spread.

OK, we're a bit overreacting… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

But if you're looking for something new to do with your beloved jar at home, then you might want to take some inspiration from an old recipe that resurfaced online.

View attachment 8664
An image of a vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s surfaced online. Credit: Woolworths (left), Facebook (right).

A man recently posted a photo of an antique jar of Vegemite to the Facebook group Old Shops Australia, claiming that his father had discovered it on a construction site some 40 years ago.

Another member of the group chimed in to confirm that the artwork was indeed used for Vegemite between the years 1930 and 1939.

A glass jar with a rusted cover and a yellow label that has been torn to shreds can be seen in the photos, the latter of which features an old-school version of the now-iconic Vegemite logo.

But what really stunned fans of the household staple were the featured serving suggestions - one of which is decidedly unusual (to say the least).

View attachment 8665
The vintage Vegemite has an 'unusual' serving suggestion printed on its label. Credit: Facebook.

The vintage Vegemite's packaging recommends using it in 'soups, stews, and gravies' or mixing half to an entire teaspoon with milk or water for 'a nourishing beverage', which has social media users scratching their heads.

'Vegemite on toast just about every day of my life, but in milk, you have to be kidding,' one user commented on the social media post, while others declared the once-popular concoction 'disgusting' and 'yuck'.

Other Aussies in the Facebook group were also taken on a journey down memory lane, recalling being given the peculiar combination as children when they were sick.

'My mum used to make Vegemite soup for us when we were sick as kids. It was so good,' one woman wrote, while another said her mother gave it to her when she had glandular fever in the 1980s.

'She said her mum (my nanna) would give it to her when she was sick! Omg, I'll never forget it because I swear I threw it up and could still taste it for days. It was just awful,' she went on to say.
Tip
Vegemite is salty and savoury, so it pairs best with other salty foods. It mixes well with beef and chicken dishes.
Vegemite in drinks, soups, and broths may not be as popular as it once was, but others said they are willing to give these a try.

Some people also swear they still enjoy them once in a while. 'A teaspoon of Vegemite in a cup of boiling water, tip over cut-up buttered bread. Yum!' one man wrote in the comments.

The strange Vegemite combos didn't end there; one mum even shared that her children would be upset if there weren't any Vegemite on their Weet-Bix and milk. Truly, it's up to each person to decide what they like best!
Key Takeaways

• A vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s with a controversial serving suggestion printed on the back has divided hundreds of Aussies.
  • The label on the jar suggested stirring half a teaspoon of the spread into warm milk or water to make a 'nourishing beverage'.
  • People have mixed reactions to the idea of Vegemite in milk, with some people curious to try it and others finding the idea revolting.
So what do you think, members? If you're feeling a bit adventurous, why not give one of these vintage Vegemite recipes a try? And if you do, let us know how it turns out - we'd love to hear from you!
When tou feelsick it works fantastically in hot wayer

OK, we're a bit overreacting… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

W

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

"Kettle Broth" was a regular and a favourite when we were kids. A spoon full of Vegemite dissolved in a cup of boiling water and a slice of stale bread broken into it.......yum!!

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

Is that a cure for a hangover?

A teaspoon of vegemite in hot water was a favourite soup for us when I was a child, especially with buttered toast cut up into small bits and put into the bowl! Yummy! I made it occasionally for my kids too and they loved it! In fact I think I'll go down Memory Lane and have that for my lunch today!!

Reactions: Ezzy, RTS and Gaena

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

As a young lad in the 50's my mother would often make up a warm Vegemite drink and it didn't bother me. Wife berates me for enjoy a Vegemite and butter on bread sandwich. Rob W.

Reactions: Ezzy, Niecy and RTS
Before all these gravies you see in supermarkets vegemite was used as a gravy base and gravy to drink so added to water or milk I have had as a kid

My brother ate Vegemite and apricot jam on toast or bread..
Nan always gave us the hot water version to drink..
Bonox in hot water another favourite.
Great mixed in two minute noodles
Yep sweet and sour go well together just like cheese and fruit

Reactions: Gaena
My brother ate Vegemite and apricot jam on toast or bread..
Nan always gave us the hot water version to drink..
Bonox in hot water another favourite.
Great mixed in two minute noodles
Yep sweet and sour go well together