Vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s shocks Aussies with its serving suggestion – are you willing to give it a try?

Move over, Vegemite toast! It looks like there's a new trend in town when it comes to delicious foods that can be slathered with this beloved Aussie spread.

OK, we're overreacting a bit… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

But if you're looking for something new to do with your beloved jar at home, then you might want to take some inspiration from an old recipe that resurfaced online.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.27.41 AM.png
An image of a vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s surfaced online. Credit: Woolworths (left), Facebook (right).

A man recently posted a photo of an antique jar of Vegemite to the Facebook group Old Shops Australia, claiming that his father had discovered it on a construction site some 40 years ago.

Another member of the group chimed in to confirm that the artwork was indeed used for Vegemite between the years 1930 and 1939.

A glass jar with a rusted cover and a yellow label that has been torn to shreds can be seen in the photos, the latter of which features an old-school version of the now-iconic Vegemite logo.

But what really stunned fans of the household staple were the featured serving suggestions - one of which is decidedly unusual (to say the least).

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 11.27.29 AM.png
The vintage Vegemite has an 'unusual' serving suggestion printed on its label. Credit: Facebook.

The vintage Vegemite's packaging recommends using it in 'soups, stews, and gravies' or mixing half to an entire teaspoon with milk or water for 'a nourishing beverage', which has social media users scratching their heads.

Safe to say, they weren't happy about it!

'Vegemite on toast just about every day of my life, but in milk, you have to be kidding,' one user commented on the social media post, while others declared the once-popular concoction 'disgusting' and 'yuck'.

Other Aussies in the Facebook group were also taken on a journey down memory lane, recalling being given the peculiar combination as children when they were sick.

'My mum used to make Vegemite soup for us when we were sick as kids. It was so good,' one woman wrote, while another said her mother gave it to her when she had glandular fever in the 1980s.

'She said her mum (my nanna) would give it to her when she was sick! Omg, I'll never forget it because I swear I threw it up and could still taste it for days. It was just awful,' she went on to say.
Tip
Vegemite is salty and savoury, so it pairs best with other salty foods. It mixes well with beef and chicken dishes.
Vegemite in drinks, soups, and broths may not be as popular as it once was, but others said they are willing to give these a try.

Some people also swear they still enjoy them once in a while. 'A teaspoon of Vegemite in a cup of boiling water, tip over cut-up buttered bread. Yum!' one man wrote in the comments.

The strange Vegemite combos didn't end there; one mum even shared that her children would be upset if there weren't any Vegemite on their Weet-Bix and milk. Truly, it's up to each person to decide what they like best!
Key Takeaways

• A vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s with a controversial serving suggestion printed on the back has divided hundreds of Aussies.
  • The label on the jar suggested stirring half a teaspoon of the spread into warm milk or water to make a 'nourishing beverage'.
  • People have mixed reactions to the idea of Vegemite in milk, with some people curious to try it and others finding the idea revolting.
So what do you think, members? If you're feeling a bit adventurous, why not give one of these vintage Vegemite recipes a try? And if you do, let us know how it turns out - we'd love to hear from you!

Sponsored
Move over, Vegemite toast! It looks like there's a new trend in town when it comes to delicious foods that can be slathered with this beloved Aussie spread.

OK, we're a bit overreacting… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

But if you're looking for something new to do with your beloved jar at home, then you might want to take some inspiration from an old recipe that resurfaced online.

View attachment 8664
An image of a vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s surfaced online. Credit: Woolworths (left), Facebook (right).

A man recently posted a photo of an antique jar of Vegemite to the Facebook group Old Shops Australia, claiming that his father had discovered it on a construction site some 40 years ago.

Another member of the group chimed in to confirm that the artwork was indeed used for Vegemite between the years 1930 and 1939.

A glass jar with a rusted cover and a yellow label that has been torn to shreds can be seen in the photos, the latter of which features an old-school version of the now-iconic Vegemite logo.

But what really stunned fans of the household staple were the featured serving suggestions - one of which is decidedly unusual (to say the least).

View attachment 8665
The vintage Vegemite has an 'unusual' serving suggestion printed on its label. Credit: Facebook.

The vintage Vegemite's packaging recommends using it in 'soups, stews, and gravies' or mixing half to an entire teaspoon with milk or water for 'a nourishing beverage', which has social media users scratching their heads.

'Vegemite on toast just about every day of my life, but in milk, you have to be kidding,' one user commented on the social media post, while others declared the once-popular concoction 'disgusting' and 'yuck'.

Other Aussies in the Facebook group were also taken on a journey down memory lane, recalling being given the peculiar combination as children when they were sick.

'My mum used to make Vegemite soup for us when we were sick as kids. It was so good,' one woman wrote, while another said her mother gave it to her when she had glandular fever in the 1980s.

'She said her mum (my nanna) would give it to her when she was sick! Omg, I'll never forget it because I swear I threw it up and could still taste it for days. It was just awful,' she went on to say.
Tip
Vegemite is salty and savoury, so it pairs best with other salty foods. It mixes well with beef and chicken dishes.
Vegemite in drinks, soups, and broths may not be as popular as it once was, but others said they are willing to give these a try.

Some people also swear they still enjoy them once in a while. 'A teaspoon of Vegemite in a cup of boiling water, tip over cut-up buttered bread. Yum!' one man wrote in the comments.

The strange Vegemite combos didn't end there; one mum even shared that her children would be upset if there weren't any Vegemite on their Weet-Bix and milk. Truly, it's up to each person to decide what they like best!
Key Takeaways

• A vintage jar of Vegemite from the 1930s with a controversial serving suggestion printed on the back has divided hundreds of Aussies.
  • The label on the jar suggested stirring half a teaspoon of the spread into warm milk or water to make a 'nourishing beverage'.
  • People have mixed reactions to the idea of Vegemite in milk, with some people curious to try it and others finding the idea revolting.
So what do you think, members? If you're feeling a bit adventurous, why not give one of these vintage Vegemite recipes a try? And if you do, let us know how it turns out - we'd love to hear from you!
In days when stock cubes or stock powder weren't around, my Mum would use Vegemite to flavour casseroles or soups. I still love Vegemite on toast or Salada biscuits!

Reactions: Ezzy

OK, we're a bit overreacting… Vegemite on toast isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact, it's probably here to stay for a good long while!

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

Dont knock it until you try it until then one should keep ones mouth closed, shouldnt one...????

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

As a vegemite kid all I can say is try it first. A hot vegemite drink on a cold day is fabulous. It's great on toast with cheese melted over it too! Yummie.

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

If you've ever been really poor, you would know about Vegemite soup as well as Tomato Sauce soup. It kept the worms happy for a few hours. Old and fat now but I've made it lately reminiscing my wasted youth.
Cheers
Scotty W.

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

These Vegemite uses are not so unusual for most boomers. Every Sunday night my father used to make us hot milo and Vegemite on toast which we would dunk in the hot milo. Yum! Try it😊 PS: ‘Antique’ is considered over 100 years old and under 100 years is considered ‘Vintage’.

I have never liked vegemite! It always reminded me of road tar in both texture and taste!:sick:
I was a road worker for over 17 years, you obviously haven't tasted tar because there's no comparison whatsoever.
I have never liked vegemite! It always reminded me of road tar in both texture and taste!:sick:

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

"Kettle Broth" was a regular and a favourite when we were kids. A spoon full of Vegemite dissolved in a cup of boiling water and a slice of stale bread broken into it.......yum!!
My grandma used to do the same thing....it was the "waste not, Want not era, but as kids we just loved it

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

My Mum used to mix Vegemite in hot water as a tonic for us when we felt off-colour. In actual fact, later on we did the same with our kids using Bonox, which is a Beef Extract. They taste a little bit similar.

As a young lad in the 50's my mother would often make up a warm Vegemite drink and it didn't bother me. Wife berates me for enjoy a Vegemite and butter on bread sandwich. Rob W.
OMG there is nothing better than fresh bread with lots of butter and lots of thick Vegemite!!!!🥰 or two slices of cheese spread with vegemite, it's a Vegemite & cheese sandwich without the bread.

I still use those ideas in my cooking. I wasn’t born in that era so obviously it was something that had been learnt by generations later but you know my hubby who is a Pom loves vegemite and bacon together and just maybe add in some marmalade to the mix. I say yuk to that and vegemite with peanut butter sandwich oh yuk too

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

When i was a child we regularly had vegemite broth ( which was a teaspoon of vegemite mixed into hot water). It was yummy.

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

I prefer the similar product Promite as opposed to Vegemite. Now when I can't get any more out of the jar with a knife, I 7/8th fill the jar with warm/hot water, give it a damn good shake and and drink it. Delicious.

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

Fresh bread buttered thickly with butter (had to be butter, not margarine), and then vegemite. My favorite growing up.

Regularly had a Weet-Bix & Vegemite as a morning snack as a child. A Sunday night treat now is a cheese & Vegemite sandwich done in a sandwich toaster. I enjoy a heaped teaspoon of Vegemite straight from the jar into my mouth at anytime of the day.

N
I always put a teaspoon of Vegemite in my vegetable soup, instead of salt. Nigella Lawson said that she uses it in her Bolognese sauce. Good for her, good for me!!
Nigella also melts Vegemite and butter together and uses as a pasta sauce. Then sprinkled with cheese. It's yummy as long as there's not too much Vegemite.

View attachment 8664

View attachment 8665

Tip

Key Takeaways

I used to love it and still had it in my adult years with milk and bread or crushed Salada biscuits in it. My used to have it for a hangover. 🤣

I used to love it and still had it in my adult years with milk and bread or crushed Salada biscuits in it. My used to have it for a hangover. 🤣