Victorian resident complains about Coles Online delivery driver on Facebook – receives criticism instead

A Victorian homeowner has recently taken to Facebook to accuse a Coles Online delivery driver of “damaging his property”.

On his Facebook post, he shared a photo showing a Coles truck parked in front of his house, knocking over a large branch of his tree.

“Might be an idea to teach your drivers how to drive as the garbo has zero issues,” he added.

However, after taking a closer look at the image, many Facebook users came to the driver’s defence, saying that he was not the one at fault for the incident.

NXUutStkAv3FcsN1b2rQcJWc925fUBxo6pxBeoAvBRIvv3PNfk8ps4L5-5ah1hlu7U8rGP3ii5xQZ4JWVJ--iwuA06NcU9muHa2PYc3jeG5hvM2r4PUrTOn2ZZ3MdWQ4pKnKS6jp

The Victorian resident accused Coles Online Delivery of damaging his tree. Credit: Facebook.
Several Facebook users who came across the homeowner’s post jumped to the driver’s defence.

They observed that the delivery truck was parked correctly and legally on the street, and pointed out that it should be the property owner’s responsibility to “prune his tree properly” so that it’s not hanging over the road.

“I don’t think Coles need to apologise for anything,” said one user. Another added: “Truck is parked on road, not the verge... so the tree must be hanging over the road.”

After the wave of backlash he received, the homeowner suddenly retracted his allegations. Instead of damaging the tree, he was accusing the truck of illegally parking at an intersection.

But his claims were still countered by several social media users.

One user said that the picture he posted has “no indications” that there is an intersection.

“Plus, your initial post was about the truck parked next to a tree,” the user added.

“After some people stated there is nothing wrong with that, you changed tack and decided they parked too close to the intersection.”

The majority of the people in the comments section agreed that parking next to the tree was not an issue, given that the driver was legally parked on the side.

A spokesperson from Coles has already reached out to the affected customer and issued a statement regarding the incident.

“Our Coles Online Customer Service Agents park in the closest, safest location to deliver grocery orders to our customers,” they said.

“Customers have the option to provide delivery instructions for our CSAs if they live on a busy road or if their property is hard to locate, this helps keep our CSAs safe and ensures deliveries arrive on time.”

What do you think, was the resident reasonable for complaining about the damaged tree, or was the driver innocent in this incident? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Victorian resident complains about Coles Online delivery driver on Facebook – receives criticism instead

A Victorian homeowner has recently taken to Facebook to accuse a Coles Online delivery driver of “damaging his property”.

On his Facebook post, he shared a photo showing a Coles truck parked in front of his house, knocking over a large branch of his tree.

“Might be an idea to teach your drivers how to drive as the garbo has zero issues,” he added.

However, after taking a closer look at the image, many Facebook users came to the driver’s defence, saying that he was not the one at fault for the incident.

NXUutStkAv3FcsN1b2rQcJWc925fUBxo6pxBeoAvBRIvv3PNfk8ps4L5-5ah1hlu7U8rGP3ii5xQZ4JWVJ--iwuA06NcU9muHa2PYc3jeG5hvM2r4PUrTOn2ZZ3MdWQ4pKnKS6jp

The Victorian resident accused Coles Online Delivery of damaging his tree. Credit: Facebook.
Several Facebook users who came across the homeowner’s post jumped to the driver’s defence.

They observed that the delivery truck was parked correctly and legally on the street, and pointed out that it should be the property owner’s responsibility to “prune his tree properly” so that it’s not hanging over the road.

“I don’t think Coles need to apologise for anything,” said one user. Another added: “Truck is parked on road, not the verge... so the tree must be hanging over the road.”

After the wave of backlash he received, the homeowner suddenly retracted his allegations. Instead of damaging the tree, he was accusing the truck of illegally parking at an intersection.

One user said that the picture he posted has “no indications” that there is an intersection.

“Plus, your initial post was about the truck parked next to a tree,” the user added.

“After some people stated there is nothing wrong with that, you changed tack and decided they parked too close to the intersection.”

The majority of the people in the comments section agreed that parking next to the tree was not an issue, given that the driver was legally parked on the side.

A spokesperson from Coles has already reached out to the affected customer and issued a statement regarding the incident.

“Our Coles Online Customer Service Agents park in the closest, safest location to deliver grocery orders to our customers,” they said.

“Customers have the option to provide delivery instructions for our CSAs if they live on a busy road or if their property is hard to locate, this helps keep our CSAs safe and ensures deliveries arrive on time.”

What do you think, was the resident reasonable for complaining about the damaged tree, or was the driver innocent in this incident? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
The trees on the street are actually on Council/Common ground. If he planted the tree there - He could be in breach of Council regulations. The Council could come and lop the tree or even remove it. The footpath/grassy verge does NOT belong to the homeowner. The fence line is the border.

Reactions: JayKay
This whinging person needs to get a life. Also needs to cut back the tree as it’s clearly hanging over the road obstructing traffic. How petty. Coles should refuse to deliver to this person who obviously is trying to find faults to whinge about. Must be a very bitter and sad person. People lost all in the floods, innocent people losing everything in Ukraine including lives and this person complains about ‘a branch’ of a tree!!! My goodness !!!!
It's easy to judge people on what we see or hear about them, but we don't know what has occurred in this person's life to get them to the point where they want to complain about seemingly minor issues. We don't know of any deeper facts or other conflicts they may have had to deal with, maybe there's been a death in the family, or life-threatening illness, or lack of employment.....there might be many issues this person may be dealing with. Maybe this is the straw that broke the camel's back????

Think we all know he hasn’t got anything to do with his day except look for problems! Hope coles didn’t apologise e driver did nothing wrong

In WA all verge trees are the property of the local counsel and they attend to their upkeep. It is illegal for a home owner to prune a verge tree. I am not aware of the rules in Vic.

My only thought there is, and this is not a criticism of the driver, that he might have parked his delivery vehicle a little further up the street so that the rear doors were closer to the gate of the house. I also agree that the home owner should have kept the branch of the tree pruned away from the road.

My only thought there is, and this is not a criticism of the driver, that he might have parked his delivery vehicle a little further up the street so that the rear doors were closer to the gate of the house. I also agree that the home owner should have kept the branch of the tree pruned away from the road.
Sorry should have added, driver not at fault here, home owner just whinging.

Some people just want to complain about something, anything. Pitty they chose something that everyone knows would be a council issue. Plants outside the property line are council problem. If plant there they can pull it all up without considering your feelings. I think Coles should take issue with council for any damage done to the truck. Leave the driver in peace.

The homeowner was probably trying to garner public support so that Coles would pay his grocery bills for a long time. Coles should black list him.

As I’m disabled I receive my groceries by delivery all the time. I have never had a problem with a driver knowing many of them who deliver regularly. People have ridiculous expectations. I’ve heard stories of people asking them to park at the bottom of a steep driveway and carry bottles and supplies for a party up 400/500
Metres of rough terrain and berated them for being slow. I don’t see how this driver is at fault on either of this person’s claims. Too many forget that they have a tough job but always arrive politely and cheerfully in my opinion! Coles themselves are another matter. Nearly 3 months ago now o had a delivery scheduled but received notification suddenly (right after they’d told me I was three deliveries away) that my order was being cancelled due to non payment. I immediately checked but they HAD TAKEN nearly $200 payment so I rang - I hit a stone wall and despite having proof of payment I never received my groceries - this happened on the 9th of January and I’m STILL fighting to get my money back!! I can’t afford a lawyer and they’ve lied to Consumer Affsirs who now say my only option is to take them to VCAT . I’m in poor health but have to do this. The bullying I’ve received, the lies, no returned calls as promised - constantly and being hung up on or ‘accidentally disconnected’ has happened more times than I can count. They tell me I have to get back my money from the bank - one problem, the bank have instructions that a payment was required for goods and unless Coles inform them of the ‘mistake’ they won’t and can’t return funds. The same applies to the FlyBuys points I put towards the shop which are equivalent to cash and equal to cash (barter system) and again Coles have to notify them that the points were taken incorrectly. They refuse to do these things. They took my money but I received no goods. So now I have the additional stress of having to do this! I even rang Head Office who flatly refused to help or correct this in any way telling me I have to deal with Coles Online and then hanging up. Mine is a genuine complaint and their treatment despite all the proof being there has been appalling. To bully and effectively steal from a Disabled Person is a low act and I’m struggling to get my money back. So to the person who had a dangerous branch knocked off - I have no sympathy. Take responsibility for your property. Coles however I have to take to ‘mini court’, a tribunal when I can barely get out of bed most days! That’s something to be angry about - not the drivers who are treated badly by the company and clients alike. I’m so depressed and frustrated with this struggle making my health worse and they don’t care at all!!
Have you contacted your local member of parliament? Many organisations don't like have questions asked in parliament about their conduct.

My opinion if the driver parked on the road that is all that is required .. The tree obviously needed cutting back .. Pretty simple

I think the resident should just be grateful he got his groceries delivered and stop being petty about a branch. More blow off in big winds…Stop whinging and wining. People are dying in a war overseas.

Come on people, take a look at the rest of the world. Floods, war, covid. Be grateful that you have a roof over your head and a tree out front. Just get the bloody thing cut and be done with it.

Again…old news!!