'Very Aussie' grocery item drives expat wild: ‘I wouldn't want to eat anything differently’

When you think of quintessential Australian food, what comes to mind? Vegemite? Tim Tams? Kangaroo steaks?

These iconic products not only satisfy the taste buds but also evoke a sense of national pride and nostalgia among shoppers across the country.

For one American expat, it's none of these.

Instead, she's developed an insatiable craving for a humble grocery item that most Aussies wouldn't give a second thought for: beetroot.

Sammy, who moved to Australia in January, has taken to social media to share her newfound ‘obsession’.

In a video, she can be seen enthusiastically pulling fresh beets out of a packet and placing them on her plate.

She admitted to eating beetroot daily since her arrival Down Under, and her obsession is so deep that it even followed her on a backpacking trip to New Zealand.

photo.jpg
Sammy is ‘obsessed’ with beetroot a month after arriving in Australia. Credits: Tiktok

'Every morning I wake up and eat beets, and I wouldn't want to eat anything differently,' she said.

From beet salads for dinner to beetroot with yoghurt for breakfast and beetroot on a bagel for lunch, Sammy can't seem to get enough of this vibrant purple vegetable.

She loves everything about it—the taste, the colour, and the texture. According to her, beetroot in America simply doesn't compare.

Aussies on social media were taken aback by Sammy's infatuation.

'Beets taste the way dirt smells, if that makes sense,' one user commented.

Another added: 'I love beets, but this made me question what they taste like.'

‘Have you experienced beetroot on a burger?’ one added, offering her advice on how to enjoy beetroot the Aussie way.

However, Sammy's newfound love for beetroot comes after reports that the vegetable is in short supply in Australia.

Shoppers at Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI noticed the shortage and took to social media to complain about struggling to find canned beetroot.

'Due to adverse growing conditions, customers may notice varying supply levels of canned beetroot available across our store network,' according to a Woolworths spokesperson.

'We're in close contact with our suppliers, and we're working on contingency plans to minimise any potential disruption to our customers.'

‘We encourage customers to be flexible if the products they would usually purchase are not available.’

‘Given it’s an industry-wide experience, further questions are best directed to either a relevant industry body or the suppliers of these products directly,’ they added.

Coles echoed the sentiment, adding that the supply of fresh beetroot has not been impacted by the adverse weather conditions.

Ed Fagan, a vegetable grower and producer at Mulyan Farm in NSW, said, 'If the retailers knew how much they’d be short, we would have been able to make up more of the shortfall.’

‘It would have been nice if we could have reacted a bit quicker.'

Australia's main beetroot-growing areas are New South Wales, Queensland, and Victoria.

Beetroots were not the only products missing from the Australian shelves recently.

Fresh food, meats and produce, and fruits and vegetables supplied in supermarkets such as Coles and Woolworths were also thinning due to extreme weather conditions. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • An American expat has become 'obsessed' with beetroot, a 'very Aussie' grocery item, since arriving in Australia.
  • She eats beetroot daily and had difficulty thinking about anything else while on a trip to New Zealand.
  • Bad weather has led to a shortage of canned beetroot across major supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI.
  • Woolworths and Coles have mentioned supply issues due to adverse growing conditions, and farmers express they could have responded better to the shortfall with more notice.

What's your favourite way to enjoy beetroot, members? Have you noticed the shortage in your local supermarket? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
there's hardly a day goes by that I don't eat beetroot. Any way will do so long as it's not tinned. I cook it fresh just as my Mum and Nanna did...just sliced covered, with brown vinegar and NO sugar. I have it on toast, a sandwich, a hamburger and tonight it will be part of my chicken salad.

Reactions: Penny4
I love beetroot and I eat it straight from the can sometimes. It is also good for your iron intake. Mine was low. I too have found that buying the sliced beetroot short of supply in most supermarkets.

Beetroot is an excellent source of antioxidants.
I never cook it ,just peel and grate it , add Small amount of orange juice and some honey mix well and just eat it with salads or with other vegetables. Heat destroys the vitamins and it taste better uncooked .

I have Beetroot most days of the Week. Aldi doesn't have it but Coles does so I buy 2 large cans of Sliced Beetroot every few weeks. I have it either with a hot meal or on toast with Mushrooms and Cheese. I keep it in the Fridge when I've opened the Can. Thanks All.

Beetroot is an excellent source of antioxidants.
I never cook it ,just peel and grate it , add Small amount of orange juice and some honey mix well and just eat it with salads or with other vegetables. Heat destroys the vitamins and it taste better uncooked .
sorry but sounds absolutely disgusting but then again I've only been eating it for about 80 years +