Extreme weather forces Coles and Woolworths to confront grim supply chain gaps

Australia has faced a barrage of catastrophic floods, cyclones, and bushfires in recent years.

The latest in a series of severe weather events has residents in Far North Queensland bracing for a second natural disaster in barely a month.

Now, leading supermarket chains Coles and Woolworths are grappling with a harsh reality as they face the devastating impact of extreme weather conditions on their supply chains.

Shoppers in various parts of the country are being greeted by empty shelves as stock levels plummet due to the wild weather battering the north of the country.

Tropical Cyclone Kirrily is expected to make landfall in a matter of days.

Supermarkets are now without essential food and supplies as a result of major flooding and heavy rainfall in the Northern Territory, which has cut off vital road and rail access throughout the state.

This problem is becoming increasingly familiar across Australia, highlighting the vulnerability of our food supply chains to climate change.

SDC Images (11).png
Woolworths and Coles prepare for upcoming Tropical Cyclone Kirrily. Image source: Shutterstock.

Social media posts from Darwin locals painted a grim picture of the situation as residents are hoping to stock up on food for their families.

Fruit and vegetable stands at a Coles store were barren, while the refrigerated section was devoid of meat packs.

Coles has stated that they 'work hard ahead of time to ensure we have extra supplies of water and other essential supplies in high-risk areas'.

However, fresh food, including meats and produce, can prove a challenge during these unprecedented times.

'Due to road and rail closures, there are some current challenges getting supplies into the Darwin area,' a Coles spokesperson said.

'While essential supplies remain available, as soon as the local authorities advise that the roads have been reopened, we will recommence deliveries to our stores.'

The Stuart Highway, a major access road, reopened to 4WD and heavy vehicles on Sunday afternoon, which means stocks will soon start to replenish the supermarkets.

However, this is a temporary reprieve in what is becoming a recurring issue.

Woolworths has also confirmed that they've dispatched several loads of fruit, vegetables, and meat to replenish their stores.

'These are expected to arrive in stores by Tuesday, and our team members are working hard to prepare to restock shelves as soon as new deliveries arrive,' a spokesperson from Woolworths said.

However, product limits remain in some stores, indicating the severity of the situation.

Australia's recent history is marred by a series of natural disasters, including the 2019-20 bushfires and the devastating NSW floods in 2022.

These events, coupled with the recent Tropical Cyclone Jasper in Cairns, have severely impacted supply chains, raising questions about the sustainability of our current food distribution systems.

Woolworths has been proactive in preparing for natural disasters. Ahead of the cyclone warning for Queensland, they positioned key supplies at distribution hubs up north to ensure they’re ready for any emergency.

'Additional stock has been sent to stores from Mackay to Cairns over the last week, which includes bottled water, long-life milk, noodles, flour, canned goods and poultry. Our local distribution centre in Townsville is also well supplied with key items.'

'There are no product limits currently in place, but, as always, we ask customers to be mindful of others in the community and buy only what they need.'

The supermarket increased the size of its Townsville Regional Distribution Centre in 2020, and it now has more fresh food and necessary product lines to stock in case of severe weather.

Coles also has contingency plans in place to ensure a sufficient supply of water and other essential supplies for the community.

'Our team is working hard to prepare our stores across FNQ with extra supplies of water and essential supplies, ahead of the impending cyclone,' a spokesperson from Coles said.

'We want to reassure our customers that we have comprehensive contingency plans in place to ensure we have sufficient supply of water and other essential supplies for the community.'

The Bureau of Meteorology has also warned Aussies to brace for the impact of Tropical Cyclone Kirrily, saying, 'The system is forecast to cross the coast, most likely between Innisfail and Airlie Beach and during Thursday.'
Key Takeaways
  • Supermarkets in parts of Australia are facing empty shelves due to wild weather impacting stock levels.
  • Tropical Cyclone Kirrily is expected to hit Far North Queensland, and heavy rainfall and flooding in the Northern Territory have disrupted supply chains.
  • Coles and Woolworths are working to ensure essential supplies are available and have contingency plans in place for natural disasters.
  • Customers have been advised to buy only what they need, despite current shortages and upcoming restocking efforts following improved weather conditions.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you experienced the impact of these supply chain disruptions? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Australia has faced a barrage of catastrophic floods, cyclones, and bushfires in recent years.

The latest in a series of severe weather events has residents in Far North Queensland bracing for a second natural disaster in barely a month.

Now, leading supermarket chains Coles and Woolworths are grappling with a harsh reality as they face the devastating impact of extreme weather conditions on their supply chains.

Shoppers in various parts of the country are being greeted by empty shelves as stock levels plummet due to the wild weather battering the north of the country.

Tropical Cyclone Kirrily is expected to make landfall in a matter of days.

Supermarkets are now without essential food and supplies as a result of major flooding and heavy rainfall in the Northern Territory, which has cut off vital road and rail access throughout the state.

This problem is becoming increasingly familiar across Australia, highlighting the vulnerability of our food supply chains to climate change.

View attachment 39787
Woolworths and Coles prepare for upcoming Tropical Cyclone Kirrily. Image source: Shutterstock.

Social media posts from Darwin locals painted a grim picture of the situation as residents are hoping to stock up on food for their families.

Fruit and vegetable stands at a Coles store were barren, while the refrigerated section was devoid of meat packs.

Coles has stated that they 'work hard ahead of time to ensure we have extra supplies of water and other essential supplies in high-risk areas'.

However, fresh food, including meats and produce, can prove a challenge during these unprecedented times.

'Due to road and rail closures, there are some current challenges getting supplies into the Darwin area,' a Coles spokesperson said.

'While essential supplies remain available, as soon as the local authorities advise that the roads have been reopened, we will recommence deliveries to our stores.'

The Stuart Highway, a major access road, reopened to 4WD and heavy vehicles on Sunday afternoon, which means stocks will soon start to replenish the supermarkets.

However, this is a temporary reprieve in what is becoming a recurring issue.

Woolworths has also confirmed that they've dispatched several loads of fruit, vegetables, and meat to replenish their stores.

'These are expected to arrive in stores by Tuesday, and our team members are working hard to prepare to restock shelves as soon as new deliveries arrive,' a spokesperson from Woolworths said.

However, product limits remain in some stores, indicating the severity of the situation.

Australia's recent history is marred by a series of natural disasters, including the 2019-20 bushfires and the devastating NSW floods in 2022.

These events, coupled with the recent Tropical Cyclone Jasper in Cairns, have severely impacted supply chains, raising questions about the sustainability of our current food distribution systems.

Woolworths has been proactive in preparing for natural disasters. Ahead of the cyclone warning for Queensland, they positioned key supplies at distribution hubs up north to ensure they’re ready for any emergency.

'Additional stock has been sent to stores from Mackay to Cairns over the last week, which includes bottled water, long-life milk, noodles, flour, canned goods and poultry. Our local distribution centre in Townsville is also well supplied with key items.'

'There are no product limits currently in place, but, as always, we ask customers to be mindful of others in the community and buy only what they need.'

The supermarket increased the size of its Townsville Regional Distribution Centre in 2020, and it now has more fresh food and necessary product lines to stock in case of severe weather.

Coles also has contingency plans in place to ensure a sufficient supply of water and other essential supplies for the community.

'Our team is working hard to prepare our stores across FNQ with extra supplies of water and essential supplies, ahead of the impending cyclone,' a spokesperson from Coles said.

'We want to reassure our customers that we have comprehensive contingency plans in place to ensure we have sufficient supply of water and other essential supplies for the community.'

The Bureau of Meteorology has also warned Aussies to brace for the impact of Tropical Cyclone Kirrily, saying, 'The system is forecast to cross the coast, most likely between Innisfail and Airlie Beach and during Thursday.'
Key Takeaways

• Supermarkets in parts of Australia are facing empty shelves due to wild weather impacting stock levels.
  • Tropical Cyclone Kirrily is expected to hit Far North Queensland, and heavy rainfall and flooding in the Northern Territory have disrupted supply chains.
  • Coles and Woolworths are working to ensure essential supplies are available and have contingency plans in place for natural disasters.
  • Customers have been advised to buy only what they need, despite current shortages and upcoming restocking efforts following improved weather conditions.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you experienced the impact of these supply chain disruptions? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
Creating a shortage of products is part of the WEF's plan to control the people of the world.... and so many are still asleep

Coles and Woolies always crying. Prices are going up yet they post record profits and now they are getting involves with social engineering by basically banning Australia Day. This is not good enough!! Concentrate on running your business and stay out of social events like Australia Day. Chinese are catered for with Chinese New Year and the muslims are catered for with Rammadan. Why are Australians "victimised" when we have our special day?
I've been going to Woolworths for 60 years but after this I am seriously thinking about going elsewhere. IGA is looking good right now.
As far asw Coles is concerned they can stick their rainbow BS where the sun doesn't shine!

Has anyone noticed the total lack of beetroot in all the supermarkets. Caught me by surprise. How can maccas be advertising their summer range with beetroot in their burgers?

Coles and Woolies always crying. Prices are going up yet they post record profits and now they are getting involves with social engineering by basically banning Australia Day. This is not good enough!! Concentrate on running your business and stay out of social events like Australia Day. Chinese are catered for with Chinese New Year and the muslims are catered for with Rammadan. Why are Australians "victimised" when we have our special day?
I've been going to Woolworths for 60 years but after this I am seriously thinking about going elsewhere. IGA is looking good right now.
As far asw Coles is concerned they can stick their rainbow BS where the sun doesn't shine!
Because it's not a celebration for ALL Australians, IT'S SYDNEY'S BIRTHDAY, nothing what so ever to do with the rest of the country.

• Haha
Reactions: Macarj and marni
We have always had floods and droughts and there was never an issue with supply up until COVID.

The only major shortage I recall was when a cyclone wiped out bananas for a few months about 15 years ago.

We all know supply drives prices and that the supermarkets are about profit, not the customer, no matter how much they sugar coat their press releases. They worked this out with the lockdowns.

Creating a shortage of products is part of the WEF's plan to control the people of the world.... and so many are still asleep
Tipsy, I adore you! Finally, someone else who gets it! I’m so glad I’m not crying in the wilderness any more on this forum.

Quote "This problem is becoming increasingly familiar across Australia, highlighting the vulnerability of our food supply chains to climate change." Unquote

The Meter's getting a kicking this week!

Attachments

• Bullshitmeter.jpg
    Bullshitmeter.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0
Because it's not a celebration for ALL Australians, IT'S SYDNEY'S BIRTHDAY, nothing what so ever to do with the rest of the country.
Australia Day has always been on 26 January, this is when Australia was claimed for England at Botany Bay in Sydney, they didn't only claim Sydney. I hope all Australians can celebrate the day however they wish and that all this other cuffuffle about Australia Day/Invasion Day will cease, be part of the solution!

Tipsy, I adore you! Finally, someone else who gets it! I’m so glad I’m not crying in the wilderness any more on this forum.
You're not the only one on this forum that is awake to the WEF and all their control measures. I left Sydney 6 years ago to get away from whatever they were planning. I didn't see Covid coming exactly but I knew that they were planning something. I've been awake for well over 10 years and have been trying to wake people up but unfortunately there are so many people with their head in the sand that it is not easy. They are too trusting, I mean really, when have government ever cared about the people. It's just that over the past few decades they have been so open about it.

Reactions: Joydie
Australia Day has always been on 26 January, this is when Australia was claimed for England at Botany Bay in Sydney, they didn't only claim Sydney. I hope all Australians can celebrate the day however they wish and that all this other cuffuffle about Australia Day/Invasion Day will cease, be part of the solution!
Captain Phillip brought the First Fleet to Port Jackson after finding Botany Bay unsuitable for a harbour being too shallow & having no reliable water. January 26 was the date he planted the flag etc. in what became Sydney Cove. Keep Australia Day on this date unless it is changed by majority support. End of story!

You're not the only one on this forum that is awake to the WEF and all their control measures. I left Sydney 6 years ago to get away from whatever they were planning. I didn't see Covid coming exactly but I knew that they were planning something. I've been awake for well over 10 years and have been trying to wake people up but unfortunately there are so many people with their head in the sand that it is not easy. They are too trusting, I mean really, when have government ever cared about the people. It's just that over the past few decades they have been so open about it.
My biggest problem is that I'm virtually housebound now because of disabilities. I'm pretty much restricted to those I've known for years and the fellow residents of the retirement village we live in. It takes a lot to change the mind of an elderly person if it goes against what they've believed all their lives. Fear clouds the thought processes.

Reactions: Macarj
We have always had floods and droughts and there was never an issue with supply up until COVID.

The only major shortage I recall was when a cyclone wiped out bananas for a few months about 15 years ago.

We all know supply drives prices and that the supermarkets are about profit, not the customer, no matter how much they sugar coat their press releases. They worked this out with the lockdowns.
Covid hit us with a shocking virus. It also hit us w

Covid hit us with a shocking virus. Scientists got on the bandwagon to find a cure. What they ignored was the surfacing of leeches. They are now in plague proportions and continue to bleed everyone dry.

1706152835594.pngNot actually available at Coles, unless they part-own Etsy....,

Reactions: JedCorella