Veggie's Crazy Mixed Up Tomato Chicken and Pasta

This would have to be one of the most bizarre random recipes I have ever made. I wanted to make chicken cacciatore, but as I was missing some essential ingredients, it ended up as a distant cousin. Very few quantities are given, so you can make it like I did. Fly by the seat of your pants! I made it tonight (Saturday).

INGREDIENTS

500 grams diced chicken breast or thigh fillet

A couple of generous swills of extra virgin olive oil

1 Spanish or red onion, cut into halves and thinly sliced

A few handfuls of pitted Kalamata olives*

I red or green capsicum, cut into thin strips

A few cloves of chopped garlic or some big blobs of minced garlic

1 x 425 gram can of drained diced tomatoes

About half a carton of Massel Chicken stock

About half a bottle of tomato paste

A nice sprinkling of oregano or mixed Italian herbs

A couple of pinches of hot chilli flakes (optional)

Shredded mozzarella cheese (the more the better!)

Parmesan cheese (optional)

Number 53 (small) authentic Italian semolina pasta elbows, cooked in salted water

METHOD

• On medium heat in a deep heavy pan, warm the olive oil and add garlic and onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 to 5 minutes
  • Add chicken, constantly turning until just starting to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes
  • Add chicken stock, diced tomato, pitted Kalamata olives* and tomato paste, mixing thoroughly and slightly reduce, about 7 to 8 minutes. At this stage, add pasta to boiling water (NEVER from cold, please!) and cook for at least 12 minutes unless you want al dente
  • Stir in oregano or mixed Italian herbs and chilli flakes (optional)
  • When the resultant sauce slightly thickens, remove from heat and serve on a bed of pasta.
  • Sprinkle with the desired amount mozzarella and parmesan cheese (optional) and allow to melt. And enjoy! Serves four with garlic bread as a side.
NOTES

This recipe may look vaguely familiar as it has borrowed some elements of a few Italian recipes. But it is my own making.

• As the recipe is mixed up, you can mix it up even further by adding sliced mushroom and julienned carrot.
  • You can try it with beef or lamb. Or maybe pork. Fish is a no no but mixed shellfish (prawns, mussels, scampi, etc.) would give it a marinara slant.
  • Use any pasta of your choice. I used Number 53 elbows just to get rid of an already opened packet. I suggest to steer away from noodles or rice to keep its Italian feel.
  • You can add the whole contents of the can of diced tomato, if you wish.
  • Last but not least, do anything you like to it. This recipe is by no means set in concrete.
Photo coming when I figure out why I can’t transfer pics from my phone to the laptop.

* How could I forget the pitted Kalamata olives! Shoot me NOW!!

CRAZY MIXED UP TOMATO CHICKEN AND PASTA.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it. Someone has posted a recipe that is very healthy!!!!!!!!

However, to make it perfect, you must remove the pasta and replace it with more olive oil. The more better-quality fat in the dish the better. Also even better again use your own homemade chicken broth, some of the store-bought ones contain chemicals.

Well done, this is the sort of things that should be promoted more!!!! Not hot cross buns!
Wow, can't believe you have missed all Suzannes really great recipes, you must have blinkers on :cool:
You say wow, very healthy than pull it apart.

This looks good veggie. Will definitely be trying out, minus the olives. I love recipes where you just use a bit of this & that, it’s basically how we cook, trouble is I can never remember what I did for next time.
I do that some times you know once I didn't have apricot for the apricot chicken I had some dates so I used that instead and jasmine rice as side dish turned out wonderful

Reactions: PattiB
Winner winner chicken 🐔 dinner!! That's a beauty Veg. I added a splosh of red wine 🍷 😋 Do you have any more delights 😊 you could share ?
Like you & I'd guess most of us sometimes like cooking by the seat of our pants because variety is the spice of life!
Oh and if any followers haven't 🙄 check out Suzanne's recipes, oodles of variety in savoury and sweet. And lots of scrummy taste.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe it. Someone has posted a recipe that is very healthy!!!!!!!!

However, to make it perfect, you must remove the pasta and replace it with more olive oil. The more better-quality fat in the dish the better. Also even better again use your own homemade chicken broth, some of the store-bought ones contain chemicals.

Well done, this is the sort of things that should be promoted more!!!! Not hot cross buns!
Removing the pasta you just took away half the dish.

I would rather more pasta than more oil.

Olive Oil is only healthy when used in moderation so why would you add more ?

Winner winner chicken 🐔 dinner!! That's a beauty Veg. I added a splosh of red wine 🍷 😋 Do you have any more delights 😊 you could share ?
Like you & I'd guess most of us sometimes like cooking by the seat of our pants because variety is the spice of life!
Oh and if any followers haven't 🙄 check out Suzanne's recipes, oodles of variety in savoury and sweet. And lots of scrummy taste.
I've been telling him to post more recipes. Whatever recipes he post, like me he has actually made .