Vegemite Brownies at Woolworths: Is it a fun treat or an ‘abomination’?

Whether you’re a fan of Vegemite, Tim Tams, Chiko Rolls or any other Aussie snack, there’s no questioning that Australians have a knack for creating big, bold flavours!

That’s why one woman was utterly shocked when she stumbled upon an item in her local Woolworths that sounded much too out there.

But what made this Sydney-sider do a double take?

It’s the Green’s Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownies.

She exclaimed in a video, ‘Guys, I'm f***ing disgusted right now. Look at this abomination I found’.

'What did I just find?!' the video's caption reads, which has subsequently garnered more than 171,000 views on social media.

She added: ‘What do you mean Vegemite brownies? This will taste like the devil’s a******. What the f*** is that?’

You can watch her full reaction here:

As for the comments about the brownie concoction, let’s just say it was a mixed bag.

'Australia is becoming more Aussie now,' one wrote in the comment section, while another exclaimed, 'I love Vegemite, but WHAT?'

‘They’ve taken it too far this time,’ one user said about the brownie concoction.

But there were also those in the audience who praised the combination as a 'salty and sweet' treat worth trying.

'Vegemite brownies are actually so good, though! Try it first!' Someone else bravely answered.

'I was like that when I saw it, but you can barely taste the Vegemite,' another added.

One user even dared the woman to taste it, saying, ‘I dare you to try it’.

Green’s Baking Australia launched these brownie mix bags in partnership with Vegemite in March of this year and became available in that same month in Coles, and Woolworths followed suit in April.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 083244.png
Aussies have mixed opinions about Green’s Vegemite Brownies. Credit: Woolworths

When we broke the news early this year, some of our dear members had something to say about this treat.

Member @Ricci commented: ‘I love vegemite, I like chocolate brownies but I think my tummy would revolt if I tried to mix the two.’

Member @terri said that ‘Vegemite should just stick to its intended use. Hot buttery toast and cheese and vegemite sandwiches.’

Described on Green’s website as a 'decadent and delicious' treat, the company noted that their product could be considered a strange combination to some, but the brownies were well worth trying.

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney woman shared her surprise online after finding Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownies in a Woolworths store.
  • The unusual 'salty and sweet' product drew mixed responses online, prompting a lively discussion.
  • Green's Baking Australia, partnered with Vegemite, launched the brownie mixture in Coles and Woolworths earlier this year.
  • Despite acknowledging the combination could be strange to some, the company insists the
    brownies are delicious and worth trying.

So, members, what do you make of this combination? Is it a daring snack that’s worth a try for something new or a culinary catastrophe you’d rather leave off your menu?

Let us know what you think in the comments—we would love to read your opinion!

Sponsored
Whether you’re a fan of Vegemite, Tim Tams, Chiko Rolls or any other Aussie snack, there’s no questioning that Australians have a knack for creating big, bold flavours!

That’s why one woman was utterly shocked when she stumbled upon an item in her local Woolworths that sounded much too out there.

She exclaimed in a video, ‘Guys, I'm f***ing disgusted right now. Look at this abomination I found’.

'What did I just find?!' the video's caption reads, which has subsequently garnered more than 171,000 views on social media.

She added: ‘What do you mean Vegemite brownies? This will taste like the devil’s a******. What the f*** is that?’

As for the comments about the brownie concoction, let’s just say it was a mixed bag.

'Australia is becoming more Aussie now,' one wrote in the comment section, while another exclaimed, 'I love Vegemite, but WHAT?'

‘They’ve taken it too far this time,’ one user said about the brownie concoction.

But there were also those in the audience who praised the combination as a 'salty and sweet' treat worth trying.

'Vegemite brownies are actually so good, though! Try it first!' Someone else bravely answered.

'I was like that when I saw it, but you can barely taste the Vegemite,' another added.

Green’s Baking Australia launched these brownie mix bags in partnership with Vegemite in March of this year and became available in that same month in Coles, and Woolworths followed suit in April.

View attachment 27561

When we broke the news early this year, some of our dear members had something to say about this treat.

Member @Ricci commented: ‘I love vegemite, I like chocolate brownies but I think my tummy would revolt if I tried to mix the two.’

Member @terri said that ‘Vegemite should just stick to its intended use. Hot buttery toast and cheese and vegemite sandwiches.’

Described on Green’s website as a 'decadent and delicious' treat, the company noted that their product could be considered a strange combination to some, but the brownies were well worth trying.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney woman shared her surprise online after finding Green's Vegemite Choc Chunk Brownies in a Woolworths store.
  • The unusual 'salty and sweet' product drew mixed responses online, prompting a lively discussion.
  • Green's Baking Australia, partnered with Vegemite, launched the brownie mixture in Coles and Woolworths earlier this year.
  • Despite acknowledging the combination could be strange to some, the company insists the

So, members, what do you make of this combination? Is it a daring snack that’s worth a try for something new or a culinary catastrophe you’d rather leave off your menu?

Lol seriously is this woman on the spectrum?? The way she carried on about a cake mix? Did anyone force her to try it or buy it?? For goodness sake just walk by...it must have made her feel so much love putting it up on social media???

View attachment 27561

Key Takeaways

No thanks..not for me. However, I have tried vegemite on jatz with a slice of gherkin on top & it taste great.

View attachment 27561

Key Takeaways

I think vegemite is an abomination in itself!

Lol seriously is this woman on the spectrum?? The way she carried on about a cake mix? Did anyone force her to try it or buy it?? For goodness sake just walk by...it must have made her feel so much love putting it up on social media???
Thank you , you just took the words out of my mouth

Reactions: Zoya and OldBells
I totally agree, what I hate is the swearing being published, even with asterisks, I say it, and if offends me SDC

View attachment 27561

Key Takeaways

What’s all the fuss about. If it doesn’t appeal to you don’t buy it’s d move on. You are not forced to buy it.

Reactions: RFG
Quite frankly if I ever devolve to the stage of wandering around in public, phone in hand, trying to find something to rant about and post on social media, just to get a few likes - please somebody take me to a vet and have me put down 🤪🤪🤪

• Haha
Reactions: RFG and Leenie

View attachment 27561

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Littleboy8