Vandals behead and cover historic monument in red paint on King’s Birthday

In a brazen act that has left many reeling, a historic statue of King George in the city's Kings Domain was decapitated and defaced with red paint in a vandalism attack that took place under the cover of darkness.

The incident, which occurred on the eve of Victoria's King's Birthday public holiday, has sparked a flurry of debate among locals and historians alike.

Victoria Police is investigating the incident after the headless statue was discovered early on Monday morning, 10 June.

The vandals, whose identities remain unknown, were bold enough to record their actions, with a video surfacing online showing an individual in a high-vis jacket and head torch methodically sawing off the statue's head.

compressed-Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 7.52.37 AM.jpeg
The King George V monument in Melbourne was beheaded and covered in red paint on King’s Birthday. Credit: 9News Australia / Youtube

Another figure, clad in a dark hoodie, was captured spray-painting the statue, leaving behind a stark message in red.

The police arrived around 9 AM on Monday, and an investigation is underway.

‘It appears the head of the statue has been removed and red paint thrown at the monument,’ a police spokesperson said.

‘Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online.’

This is not the first time Melbourne has witnessed the defacement of its colonial-era monuments.

Earlier this year, on Australia Day, statues of Captain James Cook in St Kilda and Queen Victoria near the CBD were also targeted, reigniting the conversation around Australia's colonial past and its representation in public spaces.

The Captain Cook sculpture was cut at the ankles and left lying on the ground with a rope around its neck. Meanwhile, the Queen Victoria monument was covered in red paint.

The City of Melbourne has acknowledged the incident and is currently deliberating on the next course of action.

This story comes after when three Irish men were arrested over 60 alleged sophisticated home burglaries in Melbourne’s east.

The men allegedly stole over $1 million worth of property, including cash, jewellery, and designer handbags while the occupants were away.

They were then charged with several counts related to burglaries and theft, and an investigation ensued whether this group was linked to other unsolved burglaries.

You can watch 9 News Australia’s coverage of the beheaded King George monument below:

Credit: 9 News Australia / Youtube

Key Takeaways
  • Vandals beheaded and defaced the King George statue in Melbourne's Kings Domain with red paint.
  • Victoria Police are investigating the incident and have called for witnesses to provide information to Crime Stoppers.
  • A video surfaced online showing individuals sawing off the statue's head and spray-painting it.
  • The vandalism occurred during the King's Birthday public holiday and followed similar defacement of colonial figure statues earlier in the year.
Have you encountered similar acts of vandalism in your local area? How do you feel about the preservation of historical statues and monuments? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
On a news now, a Political Party is currently being formed by Muslims to contest the ruling parties.
With the high percentage who are practising or born into Middle Eastern Muslim, societies, we need to see a potential outcome with the high volume of immigration comes changes, not always as anticipated for most do not integrate into the freedom of the Australian ways, but intend to politically indoctrinate their beliefs on the good old Aussie!!

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Not an responsible action but, am completely indifferent. He is not my King and when I receive my 100 postcard it will be returned "Not at this address".

On a news now, a Political Party is currently being formed by Muslims to contest the ruling parties.
With the high percentage who are practising or born into Middle Eastern Muslim, societies, we need to see a potential outcome with the high volume of immigration comes changes, not always as anticipated for most do not integrate into the freedom of the Australian ways, but intend to politically indoctrinate their beliefs on the good old Aussie!!
Think a bit closer.

The most populous country in the world for Muslims is our nearest major neighbour.

INDONESIA!!!

In the news last night footage was shown of two people "defacing" King Charles' portrait, which for those people just arrived on Earth, is predominantly RED. Some "image" was pasted over the face.
Now a statue of an ancestor is now headless and painted RED.
Notice a similarity here? Copycat crime. Will this become a trend? It may have been done by pro Republicans or kids who should be in school but wag everyday.
So it may not necessarily be a racist thing.

Food for thought... What if Australia was settled by the Dutch, there may very well have been a second South Africa here, segregation, apartheid, call it what you want.
Kids wagging school? It was done at night by adults.
Yes may not be racist, plenty of anti royals around, though it's rather extreme and yet pointless protest.

Ah, the statues from that Glorious Empire on which the Sun Shall Never Set (the truth is that even God Himself couldn't trust us in the dark): a Pomgolian's dreamtime. Now, how about I go to a cave somewhere, with walls marked with some crude paintings and bearing graffiti marks made by hands dipped in red ochre, and spray-paint them green after bashing with a hammer and chisel the cave wall with said historical features thereon . Sauce for the goose; sauce for the gander. But those cave artifacts are our common HUMAN/HOMINID heritage, just as are those statues of our revered Pomgolian history going back to Stonehenge or earlier, unto the Ancient Egyptians and Chinese and Indus Valley culture, or even unto the Hominid that was using bits of wood and stone tools to build a floor, or perhaps raft, somewhere in Zimbabwe some 476 000 years ago. So no, such vandalism is out.

Did Homo erectus ever get to Australia? 'Twas in Indonesia as recently as 100 000 years ago. Food for thought.
“Did Homo erectus ever get to Australia? 'Twas in Indonesia as recently as 100 000 years ago. Food for thought.”
I guess that is a good example of “basic tenet of Christianity”
Good old King Henry VIII and Queen Mary 1 - perhaps just a throw-back!
Yes, Australia - we are standing in it!
bon appetit

History, any and all history, cannot be changed or erased…..History is simply a record of past events and vandalising statues etc is a crime that should attract punishment. I was reading an article earlier today about peaceful countries to holiday in…….Australia is at number 19……

Reactions: Rob44
In the news last night footage was shown of two people "defacing" King Charles' portrait, which for those people just arrived on Earth, is predominantly RED. Some "image" was pasted over the face.
Now a statue of an ancestor is now headless and painted RED.
Notice a similarity here? Copycat crime. Will this become a trend? It may have been done by pro Republicans or kids who should be in school but wag everyday.
So it may not necessarily be a racist thing.

Food for thought... What if Australia was settled by the Dutch, there may very well have been a second South Africa here, segregation, apartheid, call it what you want.
I like your food for thought, it’s very apt isn’t it….

Ah, the statues from that Glorious Empire on which the Sun Shall Never Set (the truth is that even God Himself couldn't trust us in the dark): a Pomgolian's dreamtime. Now, how about I go to a cave somewhere, with walls marked with some crude paintings and bearing graffiti marks made by hands dipped in red ochre, and spray-paint them green after bashing with a hammer and chisel the cave wall with said historical features thereon . Sauce for the goose; sauce for the gander. But those cave artifacts are our common HUMAN/HOMINID heritage, just as are those statues of our revered Pomgolian history going back to Stonehenge or earlier, unto the Ancient Egyptians and Chinese and Indus Valley culture, or even unto the Hominid that was using bits of wood and stone tools to build a floor, or perhaps raft, somewhere in Zimbabwe some 476 000 years ago. So no, such vandalism is out.

Did Homo erectus ever get to Australia? 'Twas in Indonesia as recently as 100 000 years ago. Food for thought.
I like the way you write……..Unfortunately I believe that there are not enough people around who actually give a shit about our human history going back even 200 years…….I think history is just used as an excuse for violence and I think that if these violators were asked what significance these statues or paintings actually have, they’d be hard pressed to give an educated answer….

I don't believe in vandalism if you want to protest do it lawfully, when you see it on people's properties I wonder whether it's protesting or downright disrespect because they get a rush from defacing buildings ect

What a lot of complete pack of Arse Holes these vandals are in the disgraceful malicious damage they do. These complete & utter Dill Bills & Brain Dead ratbags should be kissing the ground here where we live. One can only ponder what this magnificent country of ours would be if Captain James Cook didn't claim Australia in the name of King George 111.

There is no doubt what-so-ever in the whole wide world that our wonderful country with the mass expanse which it compasses could well be a Complete Horrible Mess as you can see on the African continent.

We could well be an island continent of many beleagured countries Running Mad & Consistently Waring & killing amongst ourselves.

The way our country is currently being run by a our Complete & Totally Incompetent Federal Government, I could say many "UNPRINTABLE" thoughts of what is going on. ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS & USELESS in every degree. And, i.e., being Very Kind to them with their Complete Utter Stupidity & Ratbagery. What a pack of Cockheads they are.

• Wow
My Grandfather came from Syria before the turn of the 20th Century and he was one of the first to be Nationalised in 1902. He married a Syrian woman in Canada had 2 children, then came back to Australia and had my mother. They were Christians in what is now a Muslim Country.
Totally unnecessary act of vandalism.
Are some acts of vandalism necessary?

• Haha
What a lot of complete pack of Arse Holes these vandals are in the disgraceful malicious damage they do. These complete & utter Dill Bills & Brain Dead ratbags should be kissing the ground here where we live. One can only ponder what this magnificent country of ours would be if Captain James Cook didn't claim Australia in the name of King George 111.

There is no doubt what-so-ever in the whole wide world that our wonderful country with the mass expanse which it compasses could well be a Complete Horrible Mess as you can see on the African continent.

We could well be an island continent of many beleagured countries Running Mad & Consistently Waring & killing amongst ourselves.

The way our country is currently being run by a our Complete & Totally Incompetent Federal Government, I could say many "UNPRINTABLE" thoughts of what is going on. ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS & USELESS in every degree. And, i.e., being Very Kind to them with their Complete Utter Stupidity & Ratbagery. What a pack of Cockheads they are.
I suggest Australia might have become part of the French Vichy Empire, Quslings unto the nazis, which would have made the history of the Pacific entertaining for the Japanese and the USA, and quite probably India and Burma.

Once again, we Pomgolians saved the world, this time in 1788 by deporting the Irish and Sottish criminals to Australia. Also in 1783, by graciously giving the north American colonists their full tax-free independence, which meant that said Irish and Scottish had to get dumped in Australia rather than in the north American colonies as previous to 1783..................Ah, noble and generous Mother England. Long may she rain over us, bestowing her bounteous gifts on we poor peasants!

“Did Homo erectus ever get to Australia? 'Twas in Indonesia as recently as 100 000 years ago. Food for thought.”
I guess that is a good example of “basic tenet of Christianity”
Good old King Henry VIII and Queen Mary 1 - perhaps just a throw-back!
Yes, Australia - we are standing in it!
bon appetit
Maybe Homo erectus had certain superstitions, but Christianity is a bit of a new chum when compared with H erectus. 1.6 million years to 100 000 BP is pretty good going. It seems that there is a new lad on the block, H bodoensis, replacing H rhodoensis (a politically incorrect bloke) and H heidelbergensis who is more correctly H neanderthalensis. H erectus certainly was in Indonesia 1000 000 ago according to recent reputable age-dating. A pity that "Mungo" man: has been stolen and buried somewhere unknown; those remains, as with the vandalised statues, are part of our common HUMAN/HOMINID heritage. We preserve 45 000 year old cave paintings; why not bronze statues?

Last edited:
Maybe Homo erectus had certain superstitions, but Christianity is a bit of a new chum when compared with H erectus. 1.6 million years to 100 000 BP is pretty good going. It seems that there is a new lad on the block, H bodoensis, replacing H rhodoensis (a politically incorrect bloke) and H heidelbergensis who is more correctly H neanderthalensis. H erectus certainly was in Indonesia 1000 000 ago according to recent reputable age-dating. A pity that "Mungo" man: has been stolen and buried somewhere unknown; those remains, as with the vandalised statues, are part of our common HUMAN/HOMINID heritage. We preserve 45 000 year old cave paintings; why not bronze statues?
FFS! - You will have to excuse my clear, 'less than' understanding of the obscure, but I shall speak anyway! Humans - no matter what race or colour, do things that don’t make sense - some just have more of an excuse, in a sense, to be less sophisticated in their communication/protest than others. (eg) Freedom Fighters / Terrorists depending on perspective and/or colour of skin, I guess. I do not know who (or why) is responsible for this vandalism - I only respond to the racism expressed, either outright or silent complicity, by way of the assumption that the perpetrators are in fact Indigenous Australians.

You are far 'too academic' for me - the learning in question is too far removed from the point, however. It appears to me that it is hard to empty the "white superiority" from the intellectual baggage.

"Unhealthy pride is part of that Lesser Self within us that is born of insecurities. Some people are more likely to have a type of pride resulting in smugness, conceit and arrogance. They don’t have the capacity to care for others or the finer values that support our living in peace and harmony."

"We preserve 45 000 year old cave paintings; why not bronze statues?" - I did not say and do not condone vandalism. This analogy is out of context and deceitful innuendo.

FFS! - You will have to excuse my clear, 'less than' understanding of the obscure, but I shall speak anyway! Humans - no matter what race or colour, do things that don’t make sense - some just have more of an excuse, in a sense, to be less sophisticated in their communication/protest than others. (eg) Freedom Fighters / Terrorists depending on perspective and/or colour of skin, I guess. I do not know who (or why) is responsible for this vandalism - I only respond to the racism expressed, either outright or silent complicity, by way of the assumption that the perpetrators are in fact Indigenous Australians.

You are far 'too academic' for me - the learning in question is too far removed from the point, however. It appears to me that it is hard to empty the "white superiority" from the intellectual baggage.

"Unhealthy pride is part of that Lesser Self within us that is born of insecurities. Some people are more likely to have a type of pride resulting in smugness, conceit and arrogance. They don’t have the capacity to care for others or the finer values that support our living in peace and harmony."

- I did not say and do not condone vandalism. This analogy is out of context and deceitful innuendo.
Cave paintings of the age to which I refer are not unique to Australia. I suppose my question about H erectus is a bit academic, but it is also an interesting one and certainly not racist.

• Sad
Reactions: Knell
Cave paintings of the age to which I refer are not unique to Australia. I suppose my question about H erectus is a bit academic, but it is also an interesting one and certainly not racist.
What has this dialogue to do with the subject please?