Hi there, "BeautifulMousey", we called, & the "Dunny Truck" was known as a "HUMDINGER". In the latter 40's, as a 4yr old, it amazed me how the driver would lift the full pan up on his shoulders & not spill a drop.

I can still smell the "SWEETNESS" of the replacement pan in the Little House out the back.

Can anyone recall how that name came about ? My old grey matter is still pondering that "?".

There is an expert in every field. That's wot I reckon.

U were very lucky to get a tv in '56. It wasn't till abt '58 b4 we had one. I can't remember which brand it was.

GORGEOUS GEORGE with his long golden blond flowing hair was my favourite American wrestler on the old box.

It's funny, the old saying, "The Rooster Rules The Roost", &, in many cases, the back yard as well.

Was the rooster, the same breed as the cartoon one, "Foghorn Leghorn" ? He was also a "fave' of mine.
Probably an Astor

Hi there, "BeautifulMousey", we called, & the "Dunny Truck" was known as a "HUMDINGER". In the latter 40's, as a 4yr old, it amazed me how the driver would lift the full pan up on his shoulders & not spill a drop.

I can still smell the "SWEETNESS" of the replacement pan in the Little House out the back.

Can anyone recall how that name came about ? My old grey matter is still pondering that "?".

U were very lucky to get a tv in '56. It wasn't till abt '58 b4 we had one. I can't remember which brand it was.

GORGEOUS GEORGE with his long golden blond flowing hair was my favourite American wrestler on the old box.

It's funny, the old saying, "The Rooster Rules The Roost", &, in many cases, the back yard as well.

Was the rooster, the same breed as the cartoon one, "Foghorn Leghorn" ? He was also a "fave' of mine.
My information is that the official title of the man who emptied those pans was 'blip-carter' or 'nightsoil man'.

He used to wear a blue singlet, practically all year round. He had a strange, large, wide brimmed dark hat, with its crown flattened. He was wreathed in cigarette smoke from the roll-your-own he always had dangling from his bottom lip.

The word 'dunny' originates from the British word 'dunnekin', meaning dung house.

Growing up, until 1972 in a house in W.A., there was only one home in our suburb that l was ever aware of which had a blip-carter call. The shanty across the road was owned by a spinster & had permission to maintain this service until she died; when the house would be flattened & a modern home built.

• Haha
Reactions: BeautifulMousey

Did you watch the tarax show. Happy Hammond, Ron Blasket and Gerry Gee, they were the days. Most TVs back then were Astors