Unveiling the best and worst laundry detergents–could yours be on the list?

As any shopper knows, supermarket shelves can be a minefield of products claiming to be the best. How do you know which detergent or product to choose for your laundry? It’s difficult to tell.

Consumer group CHOICE has recently tested over 70 of Australia’s most popular laundry detergents, powders, liquids and capsules. These included major brands from well-known household names such as Coles, Woolworths and ALDI, as well as some of the more expensive, shinier names like Cold Power and Omo.

The aim was to determine which detergents would give the best results regarding stain-busting power–from grass, makeup and blood to chocolate ice cream and even baby food.

After extensive testing, the results showed a clear standout performing detergent.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 093752.png
CHOICE’s Head of Reviews and Testing, Matthew Steen, with the detergent lineup. Credit: CHOICE

'The Omo Expert Anti-Bacterial Powder laundry detergent was the standout, performing best in both our front and top loader testing,' CHOICE Head of Reviews and Testing Matthew Steen said.

It scored an impressive 90 per cent in front loaders and 70 per cent in top loaders, and although it is far from being the cheapest detergent, it does offer excellent value for money. A 2kg detergent box will cost you around $29, which is around $1.16 per wash.

If you’re on the lookout for something more affordable but still effective, then head to your local ALDI.

The supermarket giant has some of the cheapest laundry detergents on the market, and the ALDI Laundrite Laundry Powder was found to be incredibly good value for money.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 094950.png
ALDI’s Laundrite Laundry Powder scored 79% on the CHOICE ratings. Credit: CHOICE

At just $4.99 for a 4kg box, it offers serious savings, with each washing costing only 11 cents.

‘The performance of the ALDI powder in our tests goes to show that you can get a great wash for a fraction of the cost of the leading brands,’ Matthew shared.

But sadly, ALDI also had some of the worst-performing detergents on the CHOICE list this year. The ALDI Laundrite Laundry Liquid performed no better than plain water, with a score of 50 per cent.

It may cost just $1.99 for a 2L bottle, but you’d be losing money regarding clean washing!

For top loaders, the bottom two performing liquids and powders were ALDI’s Green Action Laundry Liquid (scoring 46 per cent) and Ecostore’s 3x Concentrate Laundry Liquid (scoring 47 per cent).

When it came to capsules, four tied for last place with a score of 45 per cent. These were Surf Tropical 30 Capsules 390g, Surf Aqua Fresh 30 Capsules 390g, Ka Pod 4 in 1 Turbocharged Cleaning Power 30 Capsules 480g and Ka Pod 4 in 1 Anti-dust Mites Laundry Capsules 30 Capsules 480g.

‘Laundry detergent pods are considerably more expensive per wash than liquid or powder detergent, and our testing shows that they don't always perform as well,’ Matthew explained.

In the end, here are the best and worst laundry detergents:

Best and Worst Laundry Detergent.jpg

You can read more about CHOICE’s detergent test here.

Key Takeaways

• Consumer group CHOICE has tested over 70 popular laundry detergents from well-known brands to determine the best for 2023.
  • Omo was declared the clear winner, taking the top four spots for front loaders and top spot for top loaders. Omo Expert Anti-Bacterial Powder laundry detergent was specifically highlighted for its performance.
  • For those looking for a budget option, ALDI Laundrite Laundry Powder, priced at $4.99 for a 4kg box, offers serious value for money.
  • Despite this, ALDI also had some of the worst-performing laundry detergents on the market, with ALDI Laundrite Laundry Liquid performing the same as plain water, according to CHOICE Head of Reviews and Testing Matthew Steen, Matthew Steen.

Regardless of what CHOICE recommends, it’s important to remember that everyone has different needs and preferences. Remember to consider the type of washing machine you have, the type of fabric, and whether you prefer scent-free or highly fragrant detergents.

Did you see your go-to detergent brand on the list, members? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
As a former appliance repairman, and having seen the damage powder detergents do to washing machines, I never use them sticking to the liquid variety and half price specials generally Dynamo or Cold Power. I only ever use cold water and they seem to do the job well enough.
I have a top loader washing machine & was wondering if it's safe to use laundry powder if it is completely dissolved in warm/hot water before adding to the machine's drum, & then washing in cold water? I have only used liquid for many years. Thank you.

If I have some things that are grubby , I add Sard Super Power Enzyme stain remover powder with the laundry liquid. This gets them clean, and it's often on special.

Can someone tell me how I can open the pics and articles at the bottom of this web page. I click on them but nothing happens.

Bosistos eucalyptus for sensitive skin powder or liquid (Australian made and owned) is my laundry detergent choice.

Reactions: Leenie
Bosistos eucalyptus for sensitive skin powder or liquid (Australian made and owned) is my laundry detergent choice.
I use the same and find its better than Softly liquid , the price went through the roof so .i switched months ago . does a great job.