Unsatisfied with self-serve checkouts? Discover the complaint many Coles shoppers share about this store feature

As more and more supermarkets adopt self-serve checkouts, it seems the debate around their efficiency and convenience continues to divide opinions.

Self-serve checkouts offer customers a quick and easy way to scan, pack, and pay for their purchases without waiting in long checkout lines. However, not everyone is on board with this shift in customer service.

A frustrated Queensland shopper recently expressed his dissatisfaction with his local Coles store's lack of manned checkouts during peak hours, and it turns out he isn't alone in this sentiment.

In a video shared on TikTok, the Gold Coast man complains that all the available checkout lanes had been converted to self-service only, with no staff to assist customers who prefer a traditional checkout experience.

sydney-australia-20192109-customers-self-260nw-1511678018.jpg copy.png
Shoppers are divided over the efficiency of self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock.

‘So it’s just before six o’clock at night at Coles, and as usual, not a single till is open with anyone to serve you,’ he said in the clip.

'Has anyone else had a gutful of this, and are you changing supermarkets because of it?’

‘I just want to buy my groceries and have someone scan them and put them in a bag. I don't really want to scan them myself.'

He also argued that if he wanted a self-service experience, he could shop at ALDI instead.

The shopper continued: ‘I know that might be lazy or whatever, but I go to a supermarket like Coles for service, and if I wanted to do it myself, I may as well go to ALDI.’

‘What is everyone else finding out there? Local one has no staff at peak times?’

The video, which the shopper has since deleted, made the rounds on social media, racking up over 25,000 views and sparking heated discussions about the pros and cons of self-serve checkouts.

One user wrote: ‘I refuse to serve myself. I am not employed by Coles, and they don’t pay me and why should I be doing the service that is expected by them?’

‘It’s even worse when you think about all the jobs that have been lost,’ another pointed out.
A third agreed: ‘I’d much prefer extra staff who get a job.’

‘It’s becoming way too common. You turn up to the checkout, and it’s all self-serve, no staff.’

While some shoppers agreed with the man's sentiments and expressed concerns about job losses, others defended the self-service checkouts, arguing they are efficient and convenient.
One person insisted: ‘I will only use self-service, best thing ever!’

‘I prefer to do [check out] it myself,’ another added.

A Coles representative commented on the issue, acknowledging that self-serve checkouts have gained popularity among shoppers due to their convenience and efficiency.

Nonetheless, the representative also pointed out that traditional checkout options with staff assistance are still available for those who prefer it.

'We are providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores,' the Coles spokesperson said.

'Of course, if a customer would prefer to be served by a team member, they are still available to happily serve them at the checkout.'

Key Takeaways
  • Self-serve checkouts have become a widespread feature in many stores, offering customers a quick and easy way to scan and pay.
  • A Queensland shopper voiced his frustration over the lack of manned checkouts available at his local Coles store and questioned if others were changing supermarkets because of it.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that self-serve checkouts offer convenience, but staff are still available to serve shoppers who prefer that option.
  • The now-deleted video attracted over 25,000 views and received mixed responses, with some supporting the shopper's complaint while others praised the self-serve checkouts.

As the debate rages on, it's clear that regardless of the self-service technology available, some customers still value the personal touch that comes with being served by a staff member.

What's your take on this? Do you prefer self-serve checkouts or traditional checkouts with staff onsite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I love using self serve - no waiting, I can pack in my preferred way and it’s much faster - and I am disabled - change is inevitable, remember when we had service at petrol stations and when self serve petrol was introduced people said they would never use it. Service at a petrol station is now a distant memory, it is all self serve. The supermarkets need to redesign their self serve checkouts though as it is very overcrowded if shoppers have trolleys. There is plenty of room at UK self serve checkouts, it’s time to update them in Australia Coles & Woolies.

Reactions: Jennylolo
I had a weird experience at Woolworths yesterday. I found the manned checkout but the staff member just handed me my bag and left all my groceries for me to pack! While asking me if I wanted to donate to some charity and if I wanted to pay cash or card and telling me that I must tap my card repeatedly which I clearly couldn’t do as I was packing my own groceries!
Wondering if this is how they’re trying to turn us away from manned check outs??😡
hope you reported them.

Reactions: BabsL
As more and more supermarkets adopt self-serve checkouts, it seems the debate around their efficiency and convenience continues to divide opinions.

Self-serve checkouts offer customers a quick and easy way to scan, pack, and pay for their purchases without waiting in long checkout lines. However, not everyone is on board with this shift in customer service.

A frustrated Queensland shopper recently expressed his dissatisfaction with his local Coles store's lack of manned checkouts during peak hours, and it turns out he isn't alone in this sentiment.

In a video shared on TikTok, the Gold Coast man complains that all the available checkout lanes had been converted to self-service only, with no staff to assist customers who prefer a traditional checkout experience.

View attachment 16333
Shoppers are divided over the efficiency of self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock.

‘So it’s just before six o’clock at night at Coles, and as usual, not a single till is open with anyone to serve you,’ he said in the clip.

'Has anyone else had a gutful of this, and are you changing supermarkets because of it?’

‘I just want to buy my groceries and have someone scan them and put them in a bag. I don't really want to scan them myself.'

He also argued that if he wanted a self-service experience, he could shop at ALDI instead.

The shopper continued: ‘I know that might be lazy or whatever, but I go to a supermarket like Coles for service, and if I wanted to do it myself, I may as well go to ALDI.’

‘What is everyone else finding out there? Local one has no staff at peak times?’

The video, which the shopper has since deleted, made the rounds on social media, racking up over 25,000 views and sparking heated discussions about the pros and cons of self-serve checkouts.

One user wrote: ‘I refuse to serve myself. I am not employed by Coles, and they don’t pay me and why should I be doing the service that is expected by them?’

‘It’s even worse when you think about all the jobs that have been lost,’ another pointed out.

‘It’s becoming way too common. You turn up to the checkout, and it’s all self-serve, no staff.’

While some shoppers agreed with the man's sentiments and expressed concerns about job losses, others defended the self-service checkouts, arguing they are efficient and convenient.

A Coles representative commented on the issue, acknowledging that self-serve checkouts have gained popularity among shoppers due to their convenience and efficiency.

Nonetheless, the representative also pointed out that traditional checkout options with staff assistance are still available for those who prefer it.

'We are providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores,' the Coles spokesperson said.

'Of course, if a customer would prefer to be served by a team member, they are still available to happily serve them at the checkout.'

Key Takeaways

• Self-serve checkouts have become a widespread feature in many stores, offering customers a quick and easy way to scan and pay.
  • A Queensland shopper voiced his frustration over the lack of manned checkouts available at his local Coles store and questioned if others were changing supermarkets because of it.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that self-serve checkouts offer convenience, but staff are still available to serve shoppers who prefer that option.
  • The now-deleted video attracted over 25,000 views and received mixed responses, with some supporting the shopper's complaint while others praised the self-serve checkouts.

As the debate rages on, it's clear that regardless of the self-service technology available, some customers still value the personal touch that comes with being served by a staff member.

What's your take on this? Do you prefer self-serve checkouts or traditional checkouts with staff onsite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
For those who like Self-Serve (the SS), I’m happy for them. However, I will only use the Staff Operated Checkout.
Many disabled ppl depend and rely heavily on the SOC - I certainly do.
I also need to talk with another human-being, especially after Melbourne’s soul-destroying long Lockdowns. Ppl learn a lot by speaking w another person, even if only a few minutes at the SOC.

A SOC can make all the difference to your mental health, lift yr mood, push worry away for a while, relieve stress and distress, it confirms you are still worthwhile.
The SOC is VITAL component of the entire supermarket shopping experience. I like leave feeling lighter within myself, with a smile and maybe a chuckle.

Supermarkets are trying to push away personal shopping. They want more on-line orders, home delivery and Click-Collect, bcz it means they can lower staff costs and training costs while they build giant warehouses for future No Contact ‘Drive-In-Drive-Out’ centres.
Hopefully, I will be dead by the time that occurs here. It is already established overseas and growing.
I need human interaction, and I need SOCs. No SS for me!

I was at Wollies and had a cart full when I approached the checkout not one in operation so had to try the self service for the first time, second item scanned it wouldn’t work so a nice staff member came to help she couldn’t scan the item either, this went on for ten minutes so I thanked her left my full cart and walked out.

Reactions: Cattersfan
I do not and will not use self-service. There is always one staff member helping people using self-serve in Coles and I tell them I am unable to use self-serve for medical reasons and they put the items through for me and pack my bags. In Woolworths they do have staff at the smaller checkouts and we use them when we shop if the normal checkouts are not available.

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I used to shop at the big two ..now, I only shop at IGA. No self-checkouts, ever. Personal service only. And each has a dedicated community fund.

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I prefer someone to serve me and packed my groceries. As people are saying, we don’t work there and we don’t get paid to ring up our grocery’s, we don’t even get a discount 🥲

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

Well, Aldi near where I am (Hunter Valley) don't have the convenience of Self-Service.

I MUCH PREFER self-service - I can Pack My Groceries "how I WANT to" - no over-loading my bags, so I can still lift them. No putting them in "ANY OLD HOW" - but nice and neatly, like I want them.... heavy things on the bottom .... bickies on the top - less hands touching my stuff.

Last week at one of our local Coles only one manned check-out (the 12 or under service desk) and the reason why several staff rang in sick and could not get any other staff in as most are Uni/high school students and had classes to attend. They did have two on the service desk so had two tills going and still serve anyone who came to the counter.

I used to shop at the big two ..now, I only shop at IGA. No self-checkouts, ever. Personal service only. And each has a dedicated community fund.
Sorry - but not all IGAs are the same then because our local one has one staff check out and 3 self serve 😡

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I only ever use self serve if no register is open which is rare and one other thing is you are not getting anything off the price if the item but are expected to do what Coles pays staff to do !
So not only the loss of jobs but the orientation is stall the same and if you are going to wei0gh and pack your own shopping then you should at least get a discount for doing a job for Coles or Woolies ! Dot J

I do my bulk shopping on line and when I go into store it is usually for under 15 items and I'm happy to use self serve checkouts, they are not hard to use and are being updated all the time.

There needs to still be manned checkouts for those with disabilities and the elderly.

What I don't get though is why do people feel it's their right to be served by a person. It's not hard to use self serve and is actually quicker .

I don't agree with job loss but my cousin is a store manage for woolworths in Sydney and she was saying that the self serve checkouts are a life saver due to not being able to get staff , apparently the new generation do not want to work in a supermarket, she then said add this to staff calling in sick.

If it wasn't for self serve the lines would be huge and then we would be hearing people complaining at the time spent in lines.

Most people want in and out and are happy to use self serve

I think we are a society of complainers

There are always two sides to a story.
🤣🤣