Unsatisfied with self-serve checkouts? Discover the complaint many Coles shoppers share about this store feature

As more and more supermarkets adopt self-serve checkouts, it seems the debate around their efficiency and convenience continues to divide opinions.

Self-serve checkouts offer customers a quick and easy way to scan, pack, and pay for their purchases without waiting in long checkout lines. However, not everyone is on board with this shift in customer service.

A frustrated Queensland shopper recently expressed his dissatisfaction with his local Coles store's lack of manned checkouts during peak hours, and it turns out he isn't alone in this sentiment.

In a video shared on TikTok, the Gold Coast man complains that all the available checkout lanes had been converted to self-service only, with no staff to assist customers who prefer a traditional checkout experience.

sydney-australia-20192109-customers-self-260nw-1511678018.jpg copy.png
Shoppers are divided over the efficiency of self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock.

‘So it’s just before six o’clock at night at Coles, and as usual, not a single till is open with anyone to serve you,’ he said in the clip.

'Has anyone else had a gutful of this, and are you changing supermarkets because of it?’

‘I just want to buy my groceries and have someone scan them and put them in a bag. I don't really want to scan them myself.'

He also argued that if he wanted a self-service experience, he could shop at ALDI instead.

The shopper continued: ‘I know that might be lazy or whatever, but I go to a supermarket like Coles for service, and if I wanted to do it myself, I may as well go to ALDI.’

‘What is everyone else finding out there? Local one has no staff at peak times?’

The video, which the shopper has since deleted, made the rounds on social media, racking up over 25,000 views and sparking heated discussions about the pros and cons of self-serve checkouts.

One user wrote: ‘I refuse to serve myself. I am not employed by Coles, and they don’t pay me and why should I be doing the service that is expected by them?’

‘It’s even worse when you think about all the jobs that have been lost,’ another pointed out.
A third agreed: ‘I’d much prefer extra staff who get a job.’

‘It’s becoming way too common. You turn up to the checkout, and it’s all self-serve, no staff.’

While some shoppers agreed with the man's sentiments and expressed concerns about job losses, others defended the self-service checkouts, arguing they are efficient and convenient.
One person insisted: ‘I will only use self-service, best thing ever!’

‘I prefer to do [check out] it myself,’ another added.

A Coles representative commented on the issue, acknowledging that self-serve checkouts have gained popularity among shoppers due to their convenience and efficiency.

Nonetheless, the representative also pointed out that traditional checkout options with staff assistance are still available for those who prefer it.

'We are providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores,' the Coles spokesperson said.

'Of course, if a customer would prefer to be served by a team member, they are still available to happily serve them at the checkout.'

Key Takeaways
  • Self-serve checkouts have become a widespread feature in many stores, offering customers a quick and easy way to scan and pay.
  • A Queensland shopper voiced his frustration over the lack of manned checkouts available at his local Coles store and questioned if others were changing supermarkets because of it.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that self-serve checkouts offer convenience, but staff are still available to serve shoppers who prefer that option.
  • The now-deleted video attracted over 25,000 views and received mixed responses, with some supporting the shopper's complaint while others praised the self-serve checkouts.

As the debate rages on, it's clear that regardless of the self-service technology available, some customers still value the personal touch that comes with being served by a staff member.

What's your take on this? Do you prefer self-serve checkouts or traditional checkouts with staff onsite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't use self serve checkouts. If you quickly load the counter, grouping your products such as green groceries, dairy, etc., it is just as fast as using the self serve.
Another aspect is that some customers like elderly ones, who live alone and don't have much contact with the outside world, enjoy a friendly face and a few caring words as they go through the check-outs.
Come customers get frustrated, but maybe one day they may appreciate a friendly smile or greeting.

As more and more supermarkets adopt self-serve checkouts, it seems the debate around their efficiency and convenience continues to divide opinions.

Self-serve checkouts offer customers a quick and easy way to scan, pack, and pay for their purchases without waiting in long checkout lines. However, not everyone is on board with this shift in customer service.

A frustrated Queensland shopper recently expressed his dissatisfaction with his local Coles store's lack of manned checkouts during peak hours, and it turns out he isn't alone in this sentiment.

In a video shared on TikTok, the Gold Coast man complains that all the available checkout lanes had been converted to self-service only, with no staff to assist customers who prefer a traditional checkout experience.

View attachment 16333
Shoppers are divided over the efficiency of self-serve checkouts. Credit: Shutterstock.

‘So it’s just before six o’clock at night at Coles, and as usual, not a single till is open with anyone to serve you,’ he said in the clip.

'Has anyone else had a gutful of this, and are you changing supermarkets because of it?’

‘I just want to buy my groceries and have someone scan them and put them in a bag. I don't really want to scan them myself.'

He also argued that if he wanted a self-service experience, he could shop at ALDI instead.

The shopper continued: ‘I know that might be lazy or whatever, but I go to a supermarket like Coles for service, and if I wanted to do it myself, I may as well go to ALDI.’

‘What is everyone else finding out there? Local one has no staff at peak times?’

The video, which the shopper has since deleted, made the rounds on social media, racking up over 25,000 views and sparking heated discussions about the pros and cons of self-serve checkouts.

One user wrote: ‘I refuse to serve myself. I am not employed by Coles, and they don’t pay me and why should I be doing the service that is expected by them?’

‘It’s even worse when you think about all the jobs that have been lost,’ another pointed out.

‘It’s becoming way too common. You turn up to the checkout, and it’s all self-serve, no staff.’

While some shoppers agreed with the man's sentiments and expressed concerns about job losses, others defended the self-service checkouts, arguing they are efficient and convenient.

A Coles representative commented on the issue, acknowledging that self-serve checkouts have gained popularity among shoppers due to their convenience and efficiency.

Nonetheless, the representative also pointed out that traditional checkout options with staff assistance are still available for those who prefer it.

'We are providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores,' the Coles spokesperson said.

'Of course, if a customer would prefer to be served by a team member, they are still available to happily serve them at the checkout.'

Key Takeaways

• Self-serve checkouts have become a widespread feature in many stores, offering customers a quick and easy way to scan and pay.
  • A Queensland shopper voiced his frustration over the lack of manned checkouts available at his local Coles store and questioned if others were changing supermarkets because of it.
  • A Coles spokesperson stated that self-serve checkouts offer convenience, but staff are still available to serve shoppers who prefer that option.
  • The now-deleted video attracted over 25,000 views and received mixed responses, with some supporting the shopper's complaint while others praised the self-serve checkouts.

As the debate rages on, it's clear that regardless of the self-service technology available, some customers still value the personal touch that comes with being served by a staff member.

What's your take on this? Do you prefer self-serve checkouts or traditional checkouts with staff onsite? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
It is a conundrum, to me the lack of choice is my problem. The darned s service do odd things not your fault so you have to wait to have it fixed. Must say staff needs to be better trained on register as well. I made a beeline to the one open register, asked to redeem points and he didn’t have a clue so I gave up and just paid for it. An elderly lady with an assistance dog I couldn’t deal with the hassle, particularly when he said I would have to go to the service desk at the end of the store to fix it.. lift your game coles. They won’t like the next survey I get

""A Coles representative commented on the issue, acknowledging that self-serve checkouts have gained popularity among shoppers due to their convenience and efficiency.""

Total BS and talk like a Politician talk.
Would he/she say or admit that people complain and that people prefer the face to face service instead of the self checkout instead ??
It just reminds me of what the Banks have been saying about pushing the customers towards digital banking and that they (THE CUSTOMERS) are very happy while doing it.
If they are so convinced that customers are happy to follow this road, why don't they call for a poll or a referendum and find out what the customers are wanting instead of just "ASSUMING".
BS at it"S best.

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I'm happy to use the self-serve for a few items, but it's not practical, convenient or efficient for a large shop. With the huge increase in prices and kids needing jobs and experience, checkouts should be used, as well as self-serve.

Reactions: Granny*Deb

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

Although my husband and I usually shop for groceries together, he pays the bill and doesn't like the self-serve checkouts only because he's not used to scanning and paying with his card . We will still usually use a manned check-out - almost all staff are very nice, wish you and ask how your day has been and if you have anything else planned for the day; we reciprocate asking them how their day has been and often when it's busy we also joke with 'don't work too hard'. It keeps someone in a job to have those manned check-outs going still.

My local Coles has now cut the self-serve checkouts down to 2 that accept Cash. The others are all Card only. Older customers may still prefer to use cash, and this makes for a longer wait for them. 🙁
I'm sorry to have to say this - BUT there are signs that even cash is soon to be a thing of the past. Unfortunately, we all have to keep up with technology which is advancing at such a rapid pace - and sometimes the scammers are well ahead of us.

Pity is that since Covid there are VERY FEW supermarkets bothering with ANY CUSTOMER SERVICE any more. Price gouging on food staples with false price increases to claw back “lost sales” during pandemic. It is all about profit now. They do NOT want you in stores. This is why they are trying to force Delivery and Click & Collect.
They do not care that humans need face to face interaction in order to survive!
Couldn't agree with you more

The point is that there have been times that what you get is close to expiry date too and I don't like it especially when we are doing the shopping not less than once a week, sometime more, as we live on a property
None of us want to Embrace change, unfortunately we don't get our pay in little yellow envelopes anymore either or have the luxury to just walk into the bank its all about ATM's! The self serve checkouts are here to stay but I use click and collect sometimes that has created or retained jobs for the old checko

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I rarely shop at Coles in Gawler, SA, but when I do I use the self service. It's a pity Woolworths and Drakes have not incorporated a few of these.

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I will NOT use self checkouts unless I absolutely have too!
The Coles I go to now only has two checkouts with cashiers, woeful. Not only are we becoming a cashless society, but also starting to be reliant on these that take jobs away!

Prices should be lowered as you’re not receiving a service. They should be paying you to check out and pack your own bags😃

View attachment 16333

‘I just want to buy my groceries and have someone scan them and put them in a bag. I don't want to scan them myself.'

Key Takeaways

I will not use them and when they totally replace attended checkouts Coles will lose another customer, that goes for any store

I am a somewhat disabled customer , I use a walker to help me along, I have multiple physical disabilities . I have problems accessing high shelves and low ones too I am also a technology disadvantaged person, imagine my horror when confronted by a lack of checkout staff ! Self service, they can keep it. Apart from that is the job loss, the lack of staff to help, the whole set up for shopping is getting beyond me. I can get a person to help with shopping, it is easier to do my own rather than have someone tagging along, sighing when you have forgotten something 2 aisles back, stopping to look at stuff for themselves, expecting coffee at the end , not supposed to, but look at the faces if you don't buy it ! I could go on but ......
I like to shop on my own, but being only 5 feet tall now is a big drawback. Luckily the customers in my local Aldi are very kind to small people as I get many offers to reach the unreachable things for me anyway. My lovely son-in-law who is my carer does not like the slowness of my shopping so he comes only to help me at the checkout & with packing.

Let's keep with the human touch

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I find it frustrating doing it myself no other checkouts open had a large shop everytime I went to put the scanned and packed groceries back into the trolley it told me to wait for assistance 😒 took me a lot longer 😫

View attachment 16333

Key Takeaways

I usually have Coles plus delivery. I can use the self serve for a few items but find there doesn’t feel like there’s enough room, especially if you have bags from other shopping or a trolley full where do you put everything it doesn’t all fit on that tiny bench ?

We hear all the time that the reason a lot of checkouts are closed is because they can’t find staff. I’ll call that Bullpucky. It is cheaper to have self serve checkouts than to have an operator stand there trying to scan an item multiple times trying to get the scanner to do its job

I don't know what Queensland Aldi is like but in Victoria I have NEVER had to put my groceries through the register myself. In fact, so far, there are NO self serve checkouts at Aldi and I would personally like to see it stay that way. The one thing that seems to be forgotten in large commercial businesses, is SERVICE. Someone seems to have decided that Customer Service means that the customer has to do the serving themself. Another way to make money at our expense.