UK expat receives backlash from Aussies after sharing two ‘inaccurate’ culture shocks – what do YOU think?

As cultural norms vary from country to country, it’s normal for expats to feel a little perplexed by stark differences that they may encounter in their second homeland.

However, one particular expat from the UK has left thousands of Aussie fans scratching their heads after sharing ‘vastly inaccurate culture shocks’ she experienced while living Down Under.

In a now-viral TikTok video, Jordana Grace said that she was astonished to learn that Australians didn’t have a clue about what 'half five' meant when telling the time. She also added that Aussies didn’t know what 'Mr Whippy' was after she was asked what ice cream she would like.

Re-enacting a conversation that she supposedly had with an Australian, Jordana pretended to ask a British person what type of ice cream they would like.

oDGjGg5r93Ssq-zZXaKgWfxctyc5H0MfDyM2r8dW5DcRiFkxkGjnu1jvGwd0OsJFgvSiY56dLshju7eQPGLHXgY0yq6FyY9ZIyZLh9mkJ251EdH3VoO-tc6l3VhcBFIt67Ev_kbiOn7niWls-pPW02I
8XtZmnmB16yc34lZNJz2esf77rmJiSgvvyIrJELwJoAzFfLHLxq46omQK02zhoz5DfFq8i_z6TsSjwc99TLFLgQQX4JEiIpOD1al87HaOfB_-OSHHIn2KSVfO8yeyoPm3h6qhCLAZDcfqsriJvXuq0c

Jordana shared the ‘culture shocks’ she experienced on TikTok. Source: @thejordanagrace

'Yes please, I'll have a Mr Whippy,' she responded, to which the perplexed 'Aussie' asked: 'What?'

'That’s such a weird name for an ice cream… “Mr Whippy”, you guys are weird,' the Aussie teased.

For the second skit, Jordana mimics another conversation she had with an Australian who asked her for the time. She answered ‘half five’ but the Australian was stumped.

'Five thirty,' she clarified and the Aussie chuckled, 'Oh right! I thought you were saying high five! You British are weird.’

Source: @thejordanagrace

Jordana’s TikTok video amassed nearly 35,000 views, while many more swarmed the comments to debunk her claim. Several pointed out that Australians are very much familiar with the British format of telling the time as well as what Mr Whippy is.

'Umm, what Aussie did you talk to that doesn't know Mr Whippy?' one asked.

'You're kidding, right? We were raised on Mr Whippy!’ said another.

‘We have Mr Whippy here in Australia… The Aussies who don’t know about it must be living under a rock.’ a third wrote.

‘I don't know any Aussies who wouldn't understand “half five”, though we would usually say “half past five”.’ explained a fourth.

However, not all the Aussie viewers were aware that the nostalgic treat existed, while others clarified that Mr Whippy was the name of the van rather than the ice cream itself.

D7bl_W-kpofjpdzmx2aD3eJWTXe4cMpZovbusZJI1xglziK84sJCHttUTlM_FdqhalRACYcvg9zEMSFCgUzFDJLYkhurTkVOIawXR3LRNbYF2T7K5TLZamsUa4Nm3cn7Muf4OFWmo9XQqHKXJVeB934

Picture of the very first Mr Whippy van. Source: Daily Mail

'I'm Aussie and never heard of it until today,' one person admitted.

'Mr Whippy still exists but it's the ice cream van. The ice cream is a soft serve,' another said.

After being slammed by countless users, Jordana wondered how she 'got this so wrong' in the comments.

'You've been misled by your friends that live under a rock and don't know what Mr Whippy is.' another sneered.

This isn’t the first time Jordana caused a ruckus among Aussie TikTok users. In a different clip, she was called out by several users after claiming that Aussies who visit the UK don’t know what watermelon or instant coffee is.

Jordana made a name on Instagram and TikTok for sharing her hilarious takes on British versus Australian culture.

What are your thoughts on Jordana’s latest ‘culture shock’ video? Dare we ask if you’re familiar with Mr Whippy and the term ‘half five’ when telling the time? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
If any Scots migrate to australia, tell your children not to say 'boot' or 'spoon' at school. If they do they will get the crap beaten out of them like I did.
The first time I was in Canada, I saw this bloody great animal! when I asked what it was! I was told that it was a Moose. I said hoots mon if that was a Moose I'd hate to see the size of your bloody cats?.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobDownUnder