UK expat receives backlash from Aussies after sharing two ‘inaccurate’ culture shocks – what do YOU think?

As cultural norms vary from country to country, it’s normal for expats to feel a little perplexed by stark differences that they may encounter in their second homeland.

However, one particular expat from the UK has left thousands of Aussie fans scratching their heads after sharing ‘vastly inaccurate culture shocks’ she experienced while living Down Under.

In a now-viral TikTok video, Jordana Grace said that she was astonished to learn that Australians didn’t have a clue about what 'half five' meant when telling the time. She also added that Aussies didn’t know what 'Mr Whippy' was after she was asked what ice cream she would like.

Re-enacting a conversation that she supposedly had with an Australian, Jordana pretended to ask a British person what type of ice cream they would like.

oDGjGg5r93Ssq-zZXaKgWfxctyc5H0MfDyM2r8dW5DcRiFkxkGjnu1jvGwd0OsJFgvSiY56dLshju7eQPGLHXgY0yq6FyY9ZIyZLh9mkJ251EdH3VoO-tc6l3VhcBFIt67Ev_kbiOn7niWls-pPW02I
8XtZmnmB16yc34lZNJz2esf77rmJiSgvvyIrJELwJoAzFfLHLxq46omQK02zhoz5DfFq8i_z6TsSjwc99TLFLgQQX4JEiIpOD1al87HaOfB_-OSHHIn2KSVfO8yeyoPm3h6qhCLAZDcfqsriJvXuq0c

Jordana shared the ‘culture shocks’ she experienced on TikTok. Source: @thejordanagrace

'Yes please, I'll have a Mr Whippy,' she responded, to which the perplexed 'Aussie' asked: 'What?'

'That’s such a weird name for an ice cream… “Mr Whippy”, you guys are weird,' the Aussie teased.

For the second skit, Jordana mimics another conversation she had with an Australian who asked her for the time. She answered ‘half five’ but the Australian was stumped.

'Five thirty,' she clarified and the Aussie chuckled, 'Oh right! I thought you were saying high five! You British are weird.’

Source: @thejordanagrace

Jordana’s TikTok video amassed nearly 35,000 views, while many more swarmed the comments to debunk her claim. Several pointed out that Australians are very much familiar with the British format of telling the time as well as what Mr Whippy is.

'Umm, what Aussie did you talk to that doesn't know Mr Whippy?' one asked.

'You're kidding, right? We were raised on Mr Whippy!’ said another.

‘We have Mr Whippy here in Australia… The Aussies who don’t know about it must be living under a rock.’ a third wrote.

‘I don't know any Aussies who wouldn't understand “half five”, though we would usually say “half past five”.’ explained a fourth.

However, not all the Aussie viewers were aware that the nostalgic treat existed, while others clarified that Mr Whippy was the name of the van rather than the ice cream itself.

D7bl_W-kpofjpdzmx2aD3eJWTXe4cMpZovbusZJI1xglziK84sJCHttUTlM_FdqhalRACYcvg9zEMSFCgUzFDJLYkhurTkVOIawXR3LRNbYF2T7K5TLZamsUa4Nm3cn7Muf4OFWmo9XQqHKXJVeB934

Picture of the very first Mr Whippy van. Source: Daily Mail

'I'm Aussie and never heard of it until today,' one person admitted.

'Mr Whippy still exists but it's the ice cream van. The ice cream is a soft serve,' another said.

After being slammed by countless users, Jordana wondered how she 'got this so wrong' in the comments.

'You've been misled by your friends that live under a rock and don't know what Mr Whippy is.' another sneered.

This isn’t the first time Jordana caused a ruckus among Aussie TikTok users. In a different clip, she was called out by several users after claiming that Aussies who visit the UK don’t know what watermelon or instant coffee is.

Jordana made a name on Instagram and TikTok for sharing her hilarious takes on British versus Australian culture.

What are your thoughts on Jordana’s latest ‘culture shock’ video? Dare we ask if you’re familiar with Mr Whippy and the term ‘half five’ when telling the time? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Hmm. Firstly, I’m not aware that Mr Whippy is still around these days. If not, perhaps it was a member of a younger generation who did not experience the expectant joys of hearing the familiar Mr Whippy tannoy sounding out from nearby streets, announcing the imminent arrival of the much-sought-after soft serve treat! Then the ensuing entreaties to Mum: can I have one please? So she then had time to grab her loose coins together to satisfy the whims of her child, before Mr Whippy arrived! Secondly, I guess most of us have become used to the various discrepancies in telling time, from the English ‘half five’ (5:30) to the US ‘a quarter of ten’ (9:45), etc. They’re just common examples of how, over time, we’ve created our own versions (butchered?!) the original English. Other examples include the US get me off of him’ (Why the ‘of’?); the common US spelling of words that we are used to spelling, such as ‘colour’ v ‘color’, ‘neighbour’ v ‘neighbor’, etc. Then there are words taken from brand names that have now become common verbs, eg, ‘hoovering’ taken from the brand name Hoover; other words that, upon investigating, are not really even common sense, like to vaccuum! A vaccuum describes a space that doesn’t exist, so how can you ‘vaccuum’? Or to put something in the ‘microwave’! Don’t we mean ‘microwave OVEN’? Apart from anything else, we have become lazy when speaking, at least, and we are often found guilty of taking short cuts. Texting is a prime example (don’t get me started!)

The British "half five" can be confusing for anyone with a Germanic background, as the direct translation "halb funf" refers to 4:30, as in "half-way to five". I have always wondered, given that there are so many crossovers between the two languages, how this contradiction came about.

As cultural norms vary from country to country, it’s normal for expats to feel a little perplexed by stark differences that they may encounter in their second homeland.

However, one particular expat from the UK has left thousands of Aussie fans scratching their heads after sharing ‘vastly inaccurate culture shocks’ she experienced while living Down Under.

In a now-viral TikTok video, Jordana Grace said that she was astonished to learn that Australians didn’t have a clue about what 'half five' meant when telling the time. She also added that Aussies didn’t know what 'Mr Whippy' was after she was asked what ice cream she would like.

Re-enacting a conversation that she supposedly had with an Australian, Jordana pretended to ask a British person what type of ice cream they would like.

oDGjGg5r93Ssq-zZXaKgWfxctyc5H0MfDyM2r8dW5DcRiFkxkGjnu1jvGwd0OsJFgvSiY56dLshju7eQPGLHXgY0yq6FyY9ZIyZLh9mkJ251EdH3VoO-tc6l3VhcBFIt67Ev_kbiOn7niWls-pPW02I
8XtZmnmB16yc34lZNJz2esf77rmJiSgvvyIrJELwJoAzFfLHLxq46omQK02zhoz5DfFq8i_z6TsSjwc99TLFLgQQX4JEiIpOD1al87HaOfB_-OSHHIn2KSVfO8yeyoPm3h6qhCLAZDcfqsriJvXuq0c

Jordana shared the ‘culture shocks’ she experienced on TikTok. Source: @thejordanagrace

'Yes please, I'll have a Mr Whippy,' she responded, to which the perplexed 'Aussie' asked: 'What?'

'That’s such a weird name for an ice cream… “Mr Whippy”, you guys are weird,' the Aussie teased.

For the second skit, Jordana mimics another conversation she had with an Australian who asked her for the time. She answered ‘half five’ but the Australian was stumped.

'Five thirty,' she clarified and the Aussie chuckled, 'Oh right! I thought you were saying high five! You British are weird.’

Jordana’s TikTok video amassed nearly 35,000 views, while many more swarmed the comments to debunk her claim. Several pointed out that Australians are very much familiar with the British format of telling the time as well as what Mr Whippy is.

‘We have Mr Whippy here in Australia… The Aussies who don’t know about it must be living under a rock.’ a third wrote.

‘I don't know any Aussies who wouldn't understand “half five”, though we would usually say “half past five”.’ explained a fourth.

However, not all the Aussie viewers were aware that the nostalgic treat existed, while others clarified that Mr Whippy was the name of the van rather than the ice cream itself.

D7bl_W-kpofjpdzmx2aD3eJWTXe4cMpZovbusZJI1xglziK84sJCHttUTlM_FdqhalRACYcvg9zEMSFCgUzFDJLYkhurTkVOIawXR3LRNbYF2T7K5TLZamsUa4Nm3cn7Muf4OFWmo9XQqHKXJVeB934

'Mr Whippy still exists but it's the ice cream van. The ice cream is a soft serve,' another said.

After being slammed by countless users, Jordana wondered how she 'got this so wrong' in the comments.

'You've been misled by your friends that live under a rock and don't know what Mr Whippy is.' another sneered.

This isn’t the first time Jordana caused a ruckus among Aussie TikTok users. In a different clip, she was called out by several users after claiming that Aussies who visit the UK don’t know what watermelon or instant coffee is.

Jordana made a name on Instagram and TikTok for sharing her hilarious takes on British versus Australian culture.

What are your thoughts on Jordana’s latest ‘culture shock’ video? Dare we ask if you’re familiar with Mr Whippy and the term ‘half five’ when telling the time? Let us know in the comments below!

She talks a load of rubbish, she could find just as many people in England who dont know what shes talking about...I cant find anyone who hasnt heard of Mr Whippy & as for half five of coarse we know the lazy way to say five thirty....or half past five.. what a load of bunk..Aussies dont know what a watermellon is??? seriously ...shes plain weird...

I grew up as a child of the 60’s listening out for Green Sleeves and waiting by the side of the road to buy my ’99’ from the Mr Whippy van. I even remember John Farnham singing a song about ‘Mr Whippy’. I say ‘half one, two, three etc and I’ve lived here since I was 4. Clearly, this woman is just another wanting to see her face and her so called ‘culture shock’ videos splashed over the internet. Maybe she should do her research before she posts anything on line. Watermelon …… instant coffee ….. what are those? Please!!!!

The joy of hearing "Greensleeves" echoing up hill and down dale as the soft-serve ice-cream van slowly approached our house.
If we'd collected and returned enough Tarax and Coke bottles out in the park after the Saturday cricket or football matches, we had enough to get our Mr Whippy ice-cream ....

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
A very old Australia saying is "Make sure your own backyard is clean before commenting on other backyards"
Australia may not be perfect but we have a hell of a lot going for us more than a lot of other countries have so i say to this lady is get a life.

If any Scots migrate to australia, tell your children not to say 'boot' or 'spoon' at school. If they do they will get the crap beaten out of them like I did. ( Saying boot and spoon in a Scottish accent, sounds very different from Aus accent )

Last edited:
Hmm. Firstly, I’m not aware that Mr Whippy is still around these days. If not, perhaps it was a member of a younger generation who did not experience the expectant joys of hearing the familiar Mr Whippy tannoy sounding out from nearby streets, announcing the imminent arrival of the much-sought-after soft serve treat! Then the ensuing entreaties to Mum: can I have one please? So she then had time to grab her loose coins together to satisfy the whims of her child, before Mr Whippy arrived! Secondly, I guess most of us have become used to the various discrepancies in telling time, from the English ‘half five’ (5:30) to the US ‘a quarter of ten’ (9:45), etc. They’re just common examples of how, over time, we’ve created our own versions (butchered?!) the original English. Other examples include the US get me off of him’ (Why the ‘of’?); the common US spelling of words that we are used to spelling, such as ‘colour’ v ‘color’, ‘neighbour’ v ‘neighbor’, etc. Then there are words taken from brand names that have now become common verbs, eg, ‘hoovering’ taken from the brand name Hoover; other words that, upon investigating, are not really even common sense, like to vaccuum! A vaccuum describes a space that doesn’t exist, so how can you ‘vaccuum’? Or to put something in the ‘microwave’! Don’t we mean ‘microwave OVEN’? Apart from anything else, we have become lazy when speaking, at least, and we are often found guilty of taking short cuts. Texting is a prime example (don’t get me started!)
Two (or more) nations divided by a common language!

we used to go camping when kids were young and mr chippy would come to the park everyday...and half five is used by most of my friends shortening the phrase half past five...which is typically aussie

Yes, it shows that she is a silly Pom doesn't it?
You get a Mr Whippy when the van comes down the street and blows his horn to let you know he is coming....... it's not as if you go into the local corner store or supermarket to buy a Mr Whippy over the counter......
I suppose she may have been prepared to wait a few hours, days, or months for the van to trumpet it's arrival.......
Anyway, the pics show her as a dual citizen.... asking the questions as an Aussie and answering as a Pom.... she should know better than to try to fool us in that manner.

Reactions: debjane and June E

I think she needs to get her head out of her arse? is that English enough for her.

Please get started.

Reactions: Mrs P
If any Scots migrate to australia, tell your children not to say 'boot' or 'spoon' at school. If they do they will get the crap beaten out of them like I did.
Why ?...hubby wears boots & we eat off spoons ??

Go home!!!

• Love
Reactions: debjane
Either you are ignorant or never observe on anythings except facebook and instragram to not know about Mr Whippy or can't guess what half six is.

Reactions: Mrs P