SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Jonathan Leane

Jonathan Leane

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2021
Uh oh! Watch out for mice in the egg aisle! Live mouse spotted in Aussie supermarket

We all know that supermarkets can sometimes be a bit of a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.

There are so many people coming in and out, touching different surfaces, and handling food; it's no wonder that things can sometimes get a little bit 'festy', as our grandkids would say.

But while we may be used to the occasional germ or two, most of us would probably draw the line at finding an actual live mouse running around in the supermarket!

Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened to one Woolies shopper in Melbourne recently.

While doing her weekly grocery shopping at the popular QV store in the city, the woman spotted a mouse running through the refrigerated eggs.

6535768b86ac87d756f051d80b8a52dfcebcd364-161x229-x0y7w826h1175.png
A shopper stumbled across a furry little egg thief and uploaded it to social media. Credit: gooooglyeyes/TikTok

She quickly started filming the creature as it jumped on top of a carton of eggs and scurried around between other cartons.

Needless to say, she was not too keen on buying eggs after that and put them back on the shelf!

The video of the incident quickly went viral on social media, with many people expressing their disgust at the thought of rodents running around in supermarkets.

‘No frikking way,’ said one.

‘Is this why the entire egg section was empty last night?’ joked another.

A Woolworths spokesperson said that the store works hard on pest control and that they were investigating the matter.

‘Our store team work hard every day to maintain our high standards for cleanliness and work closely with pest control services to manage the rodent population that can be found throughout the inner city,’ a Woolies spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au.

‘If customers ever have any concerns about the cleanliness in-store we encourage them to bring it to the attention of our friendly team who will action it straight away.’

And lest you think this problem is confined to Woolies, last year an ALDI shopper filmed a ‘giant rat’ climbing a shelf in the supermarket while other shoppers, blissfully ignorant, continued about their business.

This was during the height of pandemic panic buying, with one witty TikTok user commenting, ‘Is he trying to find toilet paper?’

So, members, next time you're doing your grocery shopping, keep your eyes peeled for any little furry friends (or should we say, foes) that might be lurking about. This probably goes without saying, but rodents can be dangerous and can carry a number of diseases, so you don't want to be coming into contact with them! Find a member of staff and let them know right away.

Have you ever had any weird or wonderful experiences while doing your weekly grocery shopping? We'd love to hear from you in the comments!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci, BJM and Ian1
Some years ago, back before consumer rights, I discoverd that the butter i had purchased was mouse chewed. No help from the supermarket so I rang the local Health Inspector. He came to my home to collect the butter & to ensure that the infestation was not there. He explained that rodents survive well in cool rooms, they just grow a thicker coat. He called me later to tell me that, as I had expected, the supermarket dumped a bucket of scorn on him........10 ute loads of food were taken from the cool room to the tip & the supermarket copped a hefty fine for the infestation plus an additional amount for refusing to co-operate. The supermarket offered to replac the butter but I said no thank you, taking my business elsewhere.

Some years ago, during the cold of winter in Canberra, I realised there was something making the cellophane wrap around my bunch of silver beet on the checkout conveyor belt crackle. When I picked it up to investigate, I discovered a tiny green tree frog, about the size of a 20c piece, hiding among the leaves. The extremely perturbed checkout operator called a supervisor, who insisted on getting me another bunch of silver beet and giving me both bunches at no charge. I presume they were probably relieved that I wasn't going to make a fuss, and were then very grateful when I offered to take the frog to a friend who was a herpetologist.

We all know that supermarkets can sometimes be a bit of a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.

There are so many people coming in and out, touching different surfaces, and handling food; it's no wonder that things can sometimes get a little bit 'festy', as our grandkids would say.

But while we may be used to the occasional germ or two, most of us would probably draw the line at finding an actual live mouse running around in the supermarket!

Unfortunately, that's exactly what happened to one Woolies shopper in Melbourne recently.

While doing her weekly grocery shopping at the popular QV store in the city, the woman spotted a mouse running through the refrigerated eggs.

View attachment 5419
A shopper stumbled across a furry little egg thief and uploaded it to social media. Credit: gooooglyeyes/TikTok

She quickly started filming the creature as it jumped on top of a carton of eggs and scurried around between other cartons.

Needless to say, she was not too keen on buying eggs after that and put them back on the shelf!

The video of the incident quickly went viral on social media, with many people expressing their disgust at the thought of rodents running around in supermarkets.

‘No frikking way,’ said one.

‘Is this why the entire egg section was empty last night?’ joked another.

A Woolworths spokesperson said that the store works hard on pest control and that they were investigating the matter.

‘Our store team work hard every day to maintain our high standards for cleanliness and work closely with pest control services to manage the rodent population that can be found throughout the inner city,’ a Woolies spokesperson told 7NEWS.com.au.

‘If customers ever have any concerns about the cleanliness in-store we encourage them to bring it to the attention of our friendly team who will action it straight away.’

And lest you think this problem is confined to Woolies, last year an ALDI shopper filmed a ‘giant rat’ climbing a shelf in the supermarket while other shoppers, blissfully ignorant, continued about their business.

This was during the height of pandemic panic buying, with one witty TikTok user commenting, ‘Is he trying to find toilet paper?’

So, members, next time you're doing your grocery shopping, keep your eyes peeled for any little furry friends (or should we say, foes) that might be lurking about. This probably goes without saying, but rodents can be dangerous and can carry a number of diseases, so you don't want to be coming into contact with them! Find a member of staff and let them know right away.

Have you ever had any weird or wonderful experiences while doing your weekly grocery shopping? We'd love to hear from you in the comments!

Yep a bit yucky for sure!! I do wonder though, did she report this to staff at the store or like lots of people these days just madly recorded it & posted to social media…lol 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
Oh goodness me 😱😱 I have a fobia of mice or rats! I have no idea why I have it, but when I see them I start having goosebumps and shivering 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
Oh goodness me 😱😱 I have a fobia of mice or rats! I have no idea why I have it, but when I see them I start having goosebumps and shivering 😂😂

Me too. My sister andniece where in a woolworths supermarket in Burleigh and a rat was sitting nibbling through the bread. She did advise a staff member. I too can't stand mice and rats so always check the bread aisle. Now I will have to watch the eggs as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Mrs P and Ricci