Uber incident leaves passenger gobsmacked over backseat ‘mess’

In our increasingly digitised and fast-paced world, ride-hailing services like Uber have become a modern convenience for many.

When booking an Uber, one expects the cost to be straightforward, your ride fare, and nothing more.

However, this shocking story from one commuter serves as a cautionary tale that comes with this new-age convenience.

The passenger, a student from Melbourne, claimed that a cleaning fee was deducted from their account two days after a supposedly uneventful Uber ride because they had left a 'mess' in the vehicle.

Narrating their experience on social media, this resident recalled that on March 6th, $80 was deducted from their account, ‘stating that I made a mess in the Uber, and the driver had to clean it’.

Perplexed, the rider immediately engaged Uber customer service, adamant that the car was pristine when they left.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 111358.jpg
An Uber passenger was charged $80 for cleaning fees after allegedly making a mess inside the vehicle. Credits: Reddit / u/Desi_Weeb

They posted screenshots of an exchange from the Uber app, displaying a customer service message detailing the incident and explaining the reason behind the fee.

‘We have received a report that a mess was made that required your driver to have their vehicle cleaned,’ the message read.

‘To cover the cost of cleaning, $80 has been added to your fare for this trip.’

According to the message, ‘Cleaning fees are assessed on a case-by-case basis and when the driver making the claim can provide visual evidence of the mess that occurred in the vehicle.’

‘Hi, the car was clean when I left it,’ the passenger claimed.

'I don’t know why this charge is being taken from me. I am 100% sure that the car was as clean as when I came in as when I left the Uber.'

The plot thickened when the passenger requested photographic evidence of this supposed ‘mess’.

The photo shared by Uber depicted a black Tesla seat with a damp spot, and what looked like torn toilet paper pieces stuck to the leather.

The ride-hail service informed the resident, 'We’ve confirmed with the driver, and he mentioned that when he checked the vehicle seat, it was vomit.'

photo (2).jpg
The passenger shared screenshots of their conversation with Uber. Credits: Reddit / u/Desi_Weeb

However, the passenger was firm in asserting that they did not ‘spit’ or ‘vomit’ in the vehicle, and expressed confusion over the imposed cleaning fee.

Significantly distressed over this accusation, the resident retorted, 'I am sure that the driver is just scamming me, or got the wrong person. Now I've learned my lesson the hard way to click before and after photos for Uber.'

Upon receiving the additional fee, the individual reached out to their bank, and initiated the procedure to contest the charge; however, they were advised that they ‘should give the Uber support at least a week before doing so’.

In defence of the ride-hail service, an Uber Spokesperson stated, 'Riders are able to dispute the charge, which is then reviewed closely by our team, and may be refunded.'

‘If riders have any issues, we encourage them to get into contact with our customer service team via the Help section in the app.’

‘Depending on the type of issue, after a report is made, it is routed to the correct team who will make contact with the customer. Reports of a safety incident usually prompt a phone call shortly after from our 24/7 incident response team,’ they added.

True to the social media’s innate curiosity and penchant for problem-solving, the digital detectives came to the defence of the accused passenger.

Users commented on the implausible notion that the mess looked like vomit, and highlighted the unusual 'physics' of it.

‘Neatest looking vomit I’ve ever seen,’ one commented.

‘It doesn’t really look like vomit. More like a small bit of clear drink that could be wiped,’ replied another.

‘Can Uber explain the physics of this vomit? Like, how does that hit the seat like that unless you were sitting in a baby car seat?’ a third asked.

Some argued that the evidence seemed to show the car's front or passenger seat—contrary to the passenger's assertion of sitting in the backseat during the journey, saying, ‘Didn't go anywhere near the front.’

A supposed Tesla owner also jumped in on the conversation, ‘I have a Tesla. [The] back seat is a bench seat; not a bucket seat. This looks like a front seat to me.’

‘Do we have to start taking photos after we get out of an Uber to have evidence if the driver claims you messed up their car?’ another asked.

Some people prefer ride-hailing service providers like Uber over taxi services because they are apparently more comfortable and efficient alternatives.

It also doesn’t help that there are also reports about some taxi drivers who do ‘dodgy’ tactics to scam passengers.
Key Takeaways
  • A Melbourne resident was charged an $80 cleaning fee by Uber for a mess they claim they did not make.
  • The charge was for an alleged mess in the car which Uber said required cleaning, but the resident disputed this, asserting the car was as clean when they left as when they entered.
  • The victim shared their experience on social media, including screenshots of their conversation with Uber customer service, and the image of the supposed mess provided by the driver.
  • An Uber spokesperson stated that riders can dispute such charges and that their customer service team closely reviews these cases, potentially leading to refunds, if warranted.
Have any of you encountered unexpected charges from ride-hail services? Share your stories, and help each other be more prepared in the comments below!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: Liag, BJM and Agave
Sponsored
3 times one night 1st uber on wrong side of Anzac pde 2d uber went straight passed me I was waiving to let him know was there.Ist uber sent cancelled. 3rd uber turned up & alone on the rd was very courteous & said would complain.I tried to phone tells you to go online.Go on chatline & no help wants to connect you with Experts but have to put card information on line as it cost $1 but is refundable. So no help until card details are put through .I tried to explain not doing that .So now have deleted Uber never use again

I went into Southern Cross Railway station from Bairnsdale Plan was for Grandson to ring an Uber for me to transport to hospital He did so and I’m waiting waiting then he rings another and after about 3rd Call to Uber which he paying for I’m in Collin’s street instead of Spencer is it. Cost me $100 in end but not Uber fault

New to ride share tried to book Didi for the first time to be told I have a payment remiss from a Jetts gym to home I have had a operation recently DONT GO TO GYMS

About a year ago this past Xmas my debit card received a bill for just over $200 for a taxi fare to Alexandria in Victoria. I was in Victoria at Xmas on Xmas day and back home a couple of days later, but I don't recall ever travelling to Alexandria in a taxi and I didn't even know where was Alexandria, Victoria, until I looked for it in Google a few days ago. So someone seems to have got hold of my card number, maybe a taxi driver, which wouldn't be hard. 13Cabs has assured me that they will look into it.

And by the way when one uses a card to buy things, take a look at how the vendor indicates on the receipt how they list your card number. I have just noticed on three receipts from different businesses that different parts of my card number have been listed and when I put the three receipts together my card number is fully exposed.

But plastic cards are so convenient.

There has always been a cleaning fee for taxis so it stands to reason that it would also be used by Uber as well

Reactions: AlanQ
I guess everyone will have a mobile phone with them?
Sad to say you must take photos of just about everything for proof of condition etc.
Just a few moments to snap some images to protect yourself from shonks and false claims.

Reactions: Diane Daley
I have used multiple Ubers and DiDi
Never had a problem although the last one I had in Sydney was very dirty on the floor at the back and the seats - had oranges and lemon slices drying on the top of the dashboard!!! A bit surprising so I asked what they were for and the driver said he uses for medicinal purposes. Sent photos to Uber - no response

3 times one night 1st uber on wrong side of Anzac pde 2d uber went straight passed me I was waiving to let him know was there.Ist uber sent cancelled. 3rd uber turned up & alone on the rd was very courteous & said would complain.I tried to phone tells you to go online.Go on chatline & no help wants to connect you with Experts but have to put card information on line as it cost $1 but is refundable. So no help until card details are put through .I tried to explain not doing that .So now have deleted Uber never use again
might want to also revisit the garble you have loaded here.

Not a tesla seat. Sounds like another case of someone wanting money refunded for something that (maybe) didn't happen.

might want to also revisit the garble you have loaded here.
I had a witness to prove my experience i had so please do not this is garble as not a young person .I am an honest person & this is not garble.Were you therefore not do not comment. Thank you

How do you know what happened obviously you are a uber driver.Well you know so much give me a phone number that you can actually talk to some one in person & not chatline .thank you

I know what I wrote .Not Garble still very upset .Still couldn't give me uber phone number. You seem to know so much that's all asked for.?