Taxi driver accused of outrageous tactic that may break the law - find out what happened

Getting around is difficult when you can't drive and have to rely on public transport. Thankfully, many Australian cities have a variety of travel services that cater to those who can't or don't want to drive.

Whether you’re after an Uber, a train, a bus, or even a taxi, we are fortunate to be able to access a number of different transportation options.

However, it does seem that some taxi drivers can push their passengers pretty hard...

Everyone has had their share of unsavoury experiences while riding in a taxi but, one Sydneysider’s ride took the cake when he realised the taxi driver had allegedly started his meter at an eye-watering $33.15 at the domestic airport.

The man took to Reddit to air his frustration over the incident, detailing how he quickly realised the meter was hidden and when he checked, the starting fare was set to the high amount.

76fb0940-8809-11ed-b5ff-3a90f6a6bf6c

A passenger who took a taxi from Sydney International Airport complained on Reddit about the driver, claiming that the driver started the meter at $33.15. Credit: Reddit.

'Taxi driver’s meter was hidden at Sydney Domestic when checked it the starting fare was $33.15,' he wrote in a post.

He also included a photo of the taxi from behind, displaying his location – the man was only metres away from the airport terminal!

The post received over 2,200 likes, with hundreds of users sharing their experiences with the same claim, labelling the driver to be ‘dodgy’.

One user wrote that the driver attempted to force a ‘prepayment’ of a larger amount than the total would be.

'Absolute knob,' they added.

Another user shared: 'I had a cab driver put in a randomly higher number into the eftpos machine and then makeup that the toll didn’t include the airport tariffs etc automatically.'

The user also added that they made an official complaint through a taxi website but it went nowhere.

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Many Reddit users shared their horrible experiences during their taxi rides. Credit: Pexels.

Meanwhile, the original poster claimed that he did not confront the driver and got out of the car without any commotion, prompting some members to suggest that he should report the incident instead.

One person advised: 'You should still report it if you have a license plate or driver’s information. There have been fraud schemes by drivers and owners, and I’m sure many are ongoing.'

A former taxi driver also commented on the situation, saying that the cabbie’s move was illegal.

'I spent almost 4 years driving a taxi. This sh*t is illegal, on both state and national legislation,' said the user.

'The maximum penalty for a driver doing this is $50,000 and up to 5 years jail time. Maximum penalty differs by state, but all public transportation legislation is based off the same Federal bill.'

Regulations and Legislation Regarding Taxi Fares in Australia

Within Australia, Transport NSW regulates fare requirements for taxi services in urban areas. According to the Australian National Transport Commission, the maximum fare for a taxi ride in an urban area has a hiring charge of $3.60.

During peak hours – which is from 10 pm to 6 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings prior to public holidays – there is an additional $2.50 on top of the hire charge.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) also ensures that drivers do not charge more than the maximum charges enforced by the relevant state or detention. All drivers are required to provide customers with a receipt that has the taxi fare, any tolls and any extras clearly itemised.

It is also illegal for drivers to charge higher than the Taxi Council-set fares, which vary from state to state. Customers must also be aware of extra 'hotel fees' that some drivers may attempt to charge at night when the Transport NSW regulations permit only a certain amount for the hire fee and the peak hour fee.

By understanding the regulations and legislation regarding taxi fares in Australia, passengers can feel safe and secure when taking a cab, knowing that they are not being overcharged or taken advantage of by unscrupulous drivers.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydneysider was appalled to discover that a taxi driver had allegedly started his meter at an eye-watering $33.15 when he took a cab at the domestic airport.
  • The maximum fares for urban areas in Sydney have a hiring charge of $3.60, with an additional $2.50 on peak times (10 pm to 6 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings prior to public holidays).
  • Many took to social media to voice their frustrations, with some emphasising the importance of reporting the incident as the maximum penalty for a driver doing this is $50,000 and up to 5 years of jail time.

So, there you have it, folks! This story serves as an unpleasant reminder to always double-check the taxi fare before you take your ride.

Have you ever had an unexpected or outrageous experience with a taxi driver? Share your story with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Getting around is difficult when you can't drive and have to rely on public transport. Thankfully, many Australian cities have a variety of travel services that cater to those who can't or don't want to drive.

Whether you’re after an Uber, a train, a bus, or even a taxi, we are fortunate to be able to access a number of different transportation options.

However, it does seem that some taxi drivers can push their passengers pretty hard...

Everyone has had their share of unsavoury experiences while riding in a taxi but, one Sydneysider’s ride took the cake when he realised the taxi driver had allegedly started his meter at an eye-watering $33.15 at the domestic airport.

The man took to Reddit to air his frustration over the incident, detailing how he quickly realised the meter was hidden and when he checked, the starting fare was set to the high amount.

A passenger who took a taxi from Sydney International Airport complained on Reddit about the driver, claiming that the driver started the meter at $33.15. Credit: Reddit.

'Taxi driver’s meter was hidden at Sydney Domestic when checked it the starting fare was $33.15,' he wrote in a post.

He also included a photo of the taxi from behind, displaying his location – the man was only metres away from the airport terminal!

The post received over 2,200 likes, with hundreds of users sharing their experiences with the same claim, labelling the driver to be ‘dodgy’.

One user wrote that the driver attempted to force a ‘prepayment’ of a larger amount than the total would be.

Another user shared: 'I had a cab driver put in a randomly higher number into the eftpos machine and then makeup that the toll didn’t include the airport tariffs etc automatically.'

The user also added that they made an official complaint through a taxi website but it went nowhere.

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Many Reddit users shared their horrible experiences during their taxi rides. Credit: Pexels.

Meanwhile, the original poster claimed that he did not confront the driver and got out of the car without any commotion, prompting some members to suggest that he should report the incident instead.

One person advised: 'You should still report it if you have a license plate or driver’s information. There have been fraud schemes by drivers and owners, and I’m sure many are ongoing.'

A former taxi driver also commented on the situation, saying that the cabbie’s move was illegal.

'I spent almost 4 years driving a taxi. This sh*t is illegal, on both state and national legislation,' said the user.

'The maximum penalty for a driver doing this is $50,000 and up to 5 years jail time. Maximum penalty differs by state, but all public transportation legislation is based off the same Federal bill.'

Within Australia, Transport NSW regulates fare requirements for taxi services in urban areas. According to the Australian National Transport Commission, the maximum fare for a taxi ride in an urban area has a hiring charge of $3.60.

During peak hours – which is from 10 pm to 6 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings prior to public holidays – there is an additional $2.50 on top of the hire charge.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) also ensures that drivers do not charge more than the maximum charges enforced by the relevant state or detention. All drivers are required to provide customers with a receipt that has the taxi fare, any tolls and any extras clearly itemised.

It is also illegal for drivers to charge higher than the Taxi Council-set fares, which vary from state to state. Customers must also be aware of extra 'hotel fees' that some drivers may attempt to charge at night when the Transport NSW regulations permit only a certain amount for the hire fee and the peak hour fee.

By understanding the regulations and legislation regarding taxi fares in Australia, passengers can feel safe and secure when taking a cab, knowing that they are not being overcharged or taken advantage of by unscrupulous drivers.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydneysider was appalled to discover that a taxi driver had allegedly started his meter at an eye-watering $33.15 when he took a cab at the domestic airport.
  • The maximum fares for urban areas in Sydney have a hiring charge of $3.60, with an additional $2.50 on peak times (10 pm to 6 am on Fridays, Saturdays and evenings prior to public holidays).
  • Many took to social media to voice their frustrations, with some emphasising the importance of reporting the incident as the maximum penalty for a driver doing this is $50,000 and up to 5 years of jail time.

So, there you have it, folks! This story serves as an unpleasant reminder to always double-check the taxi fare before you take your ride.

Have you ever had an unexpected or outrageous experience with a taxi driver? Share your story with us in the comments section below.
There is a particular group of drivers who on arrival at destinations insist their card machine is not working and insist on cash, I tell them to send me an invoice and I'll pay, all of a sudden their card reader starts working.

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Absolutely report the a---hole, it goes on far to often, beware of Uber drivers dodgy at best of times, my daughter and partner were victims, fortunately, my son in law jumped up and down, and told the operator that he was going to reveal his tactics to the Australian Media, surprisingly he received a full refund.

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never seen the inside of a Taxi, or Uber, partly because they're as rare as hens teeth in the country. I dread the time when I can no longer drive as getting around is going to become really difficult and I've no idea of the protocols to do with hiring a taxi. ;)

Absolutely report the a---hole, it goes on far to often, beware of Uber drivers dodgy at best of times, my daughter and partner were victims, fortunately, my son in law jumped up and down, and told the operator that he was going to reveal his tactics to the Australian Media, surprisingly he received a full refund.
We had the opposite experience with an Uber driver. The fare came up on my phone and it was way too much for the short journey. It had obviously picked up the wrong destination. He took my phone and changed stuff and we paid a fraction of the quote.

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Also watch the meter if you have a disabled person on a Taxi Subsidy Scheme they can TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE. because they know the Gov pays half of it and they charge way too much sometimes i think on the taxi booking website you can get an estimate of the cost of the fare so be pre armed with that knowledge.

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I have had many but this one took the cake

pexels-photo-590059.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I have had many horrible experiences with taxi drivers unfortunately I could literally write a book This was my most recent one which I reported to the company

Attachments

• A29F7CEB-C250-49A4-BE5A-6B370141701F.png
    A29F7CEB-C250-49A4-BE5A-6B370141701F.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 92051C16-9BA9-430A-9848-C0740F8E0EF1.png
    92051C16-9BA9-430A-9848-C0740F8E0EF1.png
    413.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C87315FB-13D7-444E-913D-0005A1D9431C.png
    C87315FB-13D7-444E-913D-0005A1D9431C.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 0
I was taken home feom the Hospital ny Taxi as i had been taken there by Ambulance as the Medical Center wanted me checked out for a stroke because the left side of my face had drooped --luckily for me it turned out to be Bells Palsy----being 33 Klms from home and no public transport as I live in a semi rural region I was sent home by Taxi ---after leaving the Hospital he pulled into a service station to put air in his front tyres because they were low so he said all the time i noticed the meter was still running it turned into a 95 dollar trip ----guess the Government got ripprd off by this bloke for 12 doiiars ny this one

I was taken home feom the Hospital ny Taxi as i had been taken there by Ambulance as the Medical Center wanted me checked out for a stroke because the left side of my face had drooped --luckily for me it turned out to be Bells Palsy----being 33 Klms from home and no public transport as I live in a semi rural region I was sent home by Taxi ---after leaving the Hospital he pulled into a service station to put air in his front tyres because they were low so he said all the time i noticed the meter was still running it turned into a 95 dollar trip ----guess the Government got ripprd off by this bloke for 12 doiiars ny this one
No doubt majority of the taxi industry is run by ruthless people

Many years ago I had to share a taxi from Sydney Airport to Malabar. The other person was going to Botany. He was charged what was on the meter and when my destination was reached I got charged the total meter read. The driver not only double dipped but I got charged additional for a detour that I didn't choose. I was not strong enough to.protest but definitely would today.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Many years ago I had to share a taxi from Sydney Airport to Malabar. The other person was going to Botany. He was charged what was on the meter and when my destination was reached I got charged the total meter read. The driver not only double dipped but I got charged additional for a detour that I didn't choose. I was not strong enough to.protest but definitely would today.
This is established practice in the taxi industry and quite legal except for the percentage charged to each person. The first person dropped off pays the full amount on the meter at the time of his drop off. All others in the cab should pay two-thirds of the amount shown on the meter at their time of drop off. So no one pays more than they would have if they were the sole passenger; and they are not being penalised for the detours they would not otherwise have had.

Taxis think people are foolish and sadly many people have been $ripped off. When I was about 20 I called a taxi from my parents home. Saturday night out. On the way the taxi said that he left his jacket and could he go there and get it. It was winter so I said yes thinking that he would turn off the metre to drive the extra back streets and then whilst he went inside the unit. The metre stayed on and this bloke must have also used the bathroom as well as he was inside for at least 10-13 minutes. When he came back he just jumped in the taxi and then took me where I needed to go. When he pulled up he expected me to pay the full amount on the metre. Amazingly, someone at the taxi call centre was listening in all this time. They then asked were he collected me to confirm I was the same passenger that ordered the taxi and the destination I had given as well. They told me to pay half what was on the metre and ordered the taxi to return immediately to the taxi head office. I Just Bet he was 'freaking out' knowing that he would never get to drive another taxi ever again. That I was his last passenger ever. I ended up being 'His Ticket To $Ride.'