Status
Not open for further replies.

TV presenter Michelle Lovegrove reveals health battle after ‘little’ shower discovery

When we think of our daily routines, a shower is often just another part of our day.

But for TV news presenter Michelle Lovegrove, a routine shower became a life-altering moment when she discovered a 'little lump' that would lead to a life-altering discovery.

This story is a stark reminder for all of us to be vigilant about changes in our bodies.

Michelle Aleksandrovics Lovegrove, a respected journalist, found herself facing a daunting battle with Angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, a rare and aggressive form of blood cancer.

She initially discovered the lump in the shower and dismissed it as a cyst.

4E5OA7WX_400x400.jpg
Michelle Lovegrove discovered a lump, which led to a diagnosis of stage four cancer. Credit: @MJLovegrove / Twitter

'It didn't hurt, it moved around, there was no swelling, and it wasn't red,' Lovegrove said.

'I thought, "This is weird," and I thought it was a little cyst. I said, "I'll keep an eye on that," and promptly forgot about it.'

However, the lump grew to four times its size in just five days, a shocking and rapid change that prompted her to seek medical attention.

Lovegrove ‘got really worried’ and still couldn’t believe the lump was cancer, as she thought it was the symptom of a hernia.

'I had other definable signs such as incredible drenching night sweats—to be honest, I put down to menopause—crushing fatigue, which I put down to other stuff and then later incredible itching,' she said.

After her doctor booked her for an ultrasound, CT scan, and core biopsy, Lovegrove was diagnosed with stage 4B Non-Hodgkin’s T-cell lymphoma and was put on chemotherapy treatment

The journey from discovery to diagnosis is a harrowing one, and Lovegrove has bravely chosen to share her experience through a series of videos on her YouTube channel, Changing Life with Lymphoma.

Lovegrove’s treatment included six rounds of ‘pretty aggressive chemo and a lot of other meds’.

Since the lymphoma is ‘stubborn’ and has an 80 per cent relapse rate within the first 12 months, she mentioned plans for additional chemotherapy and either a stem cell or bone marrow transplant.

Lovegrove advised anyone who notices any bodily irregularities, even if it is ‘as simple as a little lump’.

‘All I want to say is that it was as simple as a little lump… I am so glad I went to the doctor,' she said.

'So if there is anything wrong, you are your best advocate. You know your body the best. Get it seen to your satisfaction because no one is going to look after you like you will.'

Her friend and former colleague, Dr Florencia Isabel Melgar Hourcade, has set up a GoFundMe to help with the medical costs associated with her treatment and recovery.

‘Let’s get behind an extraordinary woman!' Dr Hourcade wrote.

'Michelle’s personal story is now about the toughest battle of her life, and she needs your help!'

As of this writing, the GoFundMe campaign has received 50 donations, totalling $5,770. The campaign aims to reach $30,000.

In one of her videos, Lovegrove had her friend shave her hair to a buzz cut.

'Like many other women, I don't wish to see hair all over my pillow. I don't wish to be pulling out handfuls of hair,' she said.

You can watch Lovegrove’s video below:

Credit: Changing Life with Lymphoma / YouTube

Cancer is a common fear among people, and the path to overcoming it adds to the difficulty of the journey.

In a previous story, a former TV actress shared a deeply personal and challenging health diagnosis of a certain type of cancer. You can read more about her story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Michelle Lovegrove, a respected TV news presenter, is battling stage four Angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma.
  • She discovered the cancer after noticing a lump while showering, which grew rapidly in size.
  • A GoFundMe page has been established to assist with her medical expenses.
  • Despite the challenges, Lovegrove is documenting her journey and advocating for others to stay vigilant about changes in their health.
What do you think about this story, members? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
It doesn’t matter that you don’t know her at least she’s sharing her story and raising more awareness about cancer and what turned out to be breast cancer in 1997.😊
(This has been changed cos I got admonished by someone)🙀

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter that you don’t know her at least she’s sharing her story and raising more awareness about breast cancer.😊men can get boobie cancer too remember.
I had mastitis as a young fella during puberty. Now I need a breast reduction because I've plumped on 12 kgs in the last eight months. :p

It’s a warning to us all - you don’t need to know someone to benefit from their experience that they have taken the time to share.
More cancer treatments should be funded by Medicare - it’s disgusting that this disease is the 2nd largest killer and we have to pay for the treatment ourselves - while also contributing to other people’s health care whose illnesses are covered by Medicare.
My daughters recent treatment sent us broke even with family support.

It doesn’t matter that you don’t know her at least she’s sharing her story and raising more awareness about breast cancer.😊men can get boobie cancer too remember.
She hasn’t got breast cancer, she has blood cancer - T cell lymphoma

I don't know her, never seen her on TV, but my heart goes out to her. Cancer is a horrible disease. Government should pay for treatments for all Cancer patients.
and the taxpayer does pay for treatment. It's called medicare.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I feel for Michelle and send her positive thoughts of recovery. I was diagnosed with the same seven and a half years ago. I had got to the stage where I had no immune system and picked up an infection that went to my spine. I collapsed and rushed to hospital, this was the sign of something very serious. It was here that the infection was treated and then trying to work out why my immune system was not doing what it should. It took a few months to diagnose, but went through treatment and eight years on still going well. I had a few little signs but all symptoms could be explained as other things. I have learnt that you check with the slightest issue just incase. I am lucky and have a great medical team who monitor me every few months. It was very scary for the first 18 months as I was so sick. But now am enjoying life again as a retired person. The important thing is if you notice the littlest thing get it checked. I was told I was close to death and my body had begun to shut down - but I fought and was very positive about recovering through a long journey of recovery. I believe that this helped in not giving up and having that positive mind set. Never give up!

Would't know her if she fell off the back of a bus..... why do they make such a fuss about these people? Beats me!!!
I think the same about Charles and Kate, don't know them but too much is made of their plight(s). Just hope this woman takes advantage of that compare the market advertising to find a better deal on her health insurance.

Last edited:
I feel for Michelle and send her positive thoughts of recovery. I was diagnosed with the same seven and a half years ago. I had got to the stage where I had no immune system and picked up an infection that went to my spine. I collapsed and rushed to hospital, this was the sign of something very serious. It was here that the infection was treated and then trying to work out why my immune system was not doing what it should. It took a few months to diagnose, but went through treatment and eight years on still going well. I had a few little signs but all symptoms could be explained as other things. I have learnt that you check with the slightest issue just incase. I am lucky and have a great medical team who monitor me every few months. It was very scary for the first 18 months as I was so sick. But now am enjoying life again as a retired person. The important thing is if you notice the littlest thing get it checked. I was told I was close to death and my body had begun to shut down - but I fought and was very positive about recovering through a long journey of recovery. I believe that this helped in not giving up and having that positive mind set. Never give up!
Well I just want to wish you well and hope you stay healthy Thankyou for sharing your story on here.💖

It’s a warning to us all - you don’t need to know someone to benefit from their experience that they have taken the time to share.
More cancer treatments should be funded by Medicare - it’s disgusting that this disease is the 2nd largest killer and we have to pay for the treatment ourselves - while also contributing to other people’s health care whose illnesses are covered by Medicare.
My daughters recent treatment sent us broke even with family support.
You are better off going to a public hospital.
My daughter has had oral cancer three times over the last 15 years.
She has received the most excellent care from Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital. Three major operations, 12 weeks of radiation,chemo, and continual after care for the last 15 years, all at no out of pocket expense.After each operation she had a private room for several weeks while she recuperated.

Yeah righto she found a lump in her breast and thought it was breast cancer so it turned out to be something else no need to be smarmy lovey.🙀
The article doesn’t say the lump was in her breast. It was probably an enlarged lymph node. Im not being smarmy, that’s not in my nature, just factual 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Molly2020
Very well said, take care.

Yeah righto she found a lump in her breast and thought it was breast cancer so it turned out to be something else no need to be smarmy lovey.🙀
No she did not find a lump in her breast where does it say that??? Not smarmy just get your facts right!

You are better off going to a public hospital.
My daughter has had oral cancer three times over the last 15 years.
She has received the most excellent care from Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital. Three major operations, 12 weeks of radiation,chemo, and continual after care for the last 15 years, all at no out of pocket expense.After each operation she had a private room for several weeks while she recuperated.
She was in a public hospital the Mater in a Brisbane - she had no private health cover
Maybe they pay for oral cancer and not others? I don’t know . . . It seems incredible that 2 peoples experience could be so different!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×