Truth behind the ANZAC biscuit controversy: Woolworths sets the record straight

In the age of social media, misinformation can spread like wildfire, and even the most well-intentioned companies can find themselves at the centre of a controversy.

Recently, Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, found itself in the crosshairs of a social media storm.

The claim is that Woolworths has turned its back on veterans by refusing to sell ANZAC biscuits this year. However, is there any truth to this?

The ANZAC biscuit is more than just a sweet treat; it's a piece of Australian and New Zealand history.

These biscuits, which were originally hardy, savoury, and designed to last the long journey to soldiers abroad, have become a symbol of the ANZAC spirit.

They are particularly prominent around ANZAC Day, when we remember the sacrifices made by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War I, especially at Gallipoli.

image (13).png
Some social media users FALSELY accused Woolworths of not selling ANZAC biscuits in 2024. Credits: Facebook

The controversy began with a Facebook post on April 3, 2024, saying, ’So Woolworths aren't selling ANZAC BISCUITS this year.’

This post, along with similar ones, spread rapidly across social media platforms, stirring up a storm of indignation.

According to one of the posts, ‘Heard that Woolworths won't sell Anzac biscuits this year. So much for supporting our service people.’

The source of the confusion was a statement from the Returned Services League (RSL)—an organisation supporting former servicemen—which noted that Woolworths would not be stocking the limited-edition ANZAC biscuit tins this year.

‘Please note that Woolworths will not be stocking the limited edition tins this year but they will be selling Anzac Appeal badges and supporting veterans and the RSL in this way,’ they said.

These tins are a part of the RSL's fundraising efforts, and their absence from Woolworths' shelves was enough to spark a backlash.

Far-right Senator Pauline Hanson was quick to condemn Woolworths.

Senator Hanson wrote on social media, ‘I haven't shopped at Woolworths ever since they announced they wouldn't be supporting Australia Day.'

‘Now that I have learned Woolworths has also refused to stock the RSL's special Anzac biscuit tins, it reinforces my original decision.’

Conservative media commentators also criticised the supermarket's decision.

Sky News Australia’s Rowan Dean urged customers, saying, ‘Stop shopping at Woolworths until they stop being political.’

However, Woolworths was also quick to respond to the allegations.

On April 3, the supermarket chain released a statement clarifying that it was still supporting the RSL's Anzac Appeal.

Woolworths highlighted that it had raised $13 million over the past decade for the RSL.

‘As the only supermarket supporting the Appeal, Woolworths customers in-store nationwide will be able to purchase badges and wristbands from this week, with all funds from sales going to the RSL,’ the supermarket giant said.

‘All year-round, customers can also purchase the much-loved Bakers Finest ANZAC biscuits endorsed by the RSL in Woolworths stores, which also generates revenue for the RSL.’

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) visited multiple Woolworths stores across Sydney and discovered that both the RSL's official ANZAC biscuits and memorabilia were available.

As of April 23, the Bakers Finest Rsl Anzac Biscuits 300g ($2.50) were also purchasable online.

The recent controversy surrounding Woolworths' decision has stirred discussions about the significance of ANZAC Day and the appropriate ways to honour it.

While some wrongfully criticised Woolworths for allegedly not offering Anzac-related products, others highlighted instances of respectful commemorations, such as a touching display observed at Coles stores.

Amidst differing opinions on commercial involvement in ANZAC Day, the display at Coles reminds us of the importance of paying tribute with sincerity and reverence.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths was falsely accused on social media of not selling ANZAC biscuits in 2024.
  • The claim originated after RSL announced that Woolworths would not stock its limited-edition Anzac biscuit tins but would still support veterans in other ways.
  • Woolworths clarified that it continues to support the RSL's Anzac Appeal by selling badges and wristbands, and has raised substantial funds over the past decade.
  • Despite the backlash, Woolworths still sells the much-loved Bakers Finest ANZAC biscuits endorsed by the RSL in stores and online.
Have you encountered any similar instances of misinformation? How do you ensure that the news you share is accurate? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The world has gone crazy mate. All youngsters are brainwashed, some of them refuse to get a job and prefer to live on entitllements handed out by OUR LAUGHABLE GOVERNMENT and paid for by the poor workers forced to be paying tax, and when some of them decides to go to Universities they are fully brainwashed and converted to these crazy ideas from some professors who possibly wouldn't even know how to add up without the aid of a calculator. How do I know that, well I have seen it with my own eyes and from some of my past employees who could not write or spell without the use of a computer or an adding machine.
I'd say, reading your comments, it is not just the young ones who are brainwashed!

It wasn't just about the biscuits, it was because people and some Return Servicemen and women liked collecting the tins the ANZAC biscuits came in.
Woolworths didn't mention the reason why they stopped ordering the tins.
Yeah woollies did say why in past posts.😊

Off the subject a little, I well recall my great Uncle reciting an incident in WW1 while encamped in Egypt. He received a parcel from his Wife that included, of all things, a brown paper packet of Gum Leaves. Just prior to retiring to his tent and having his last “ Cuppa” before bed he threw the Gum Leaves on the coals. He closed his eyes and with the of the burning leaves, memories flooded back. Upon opening his eyes he was astounded to see many, many soldiers had caught the scent and surrounded the glow, in silence. He was very, very moved by the experience.

Bettcha if I had a ticket stub to Sydney's March Taylor Swift concert, I would get hundreds of dollars on Ebay for it.

Go figure!
I can't figure Veg. These stupid people pay a fortune just to hear what you can get on a disc while that woman rakes in Millions and gives nothing back. When are people going to wake up. We always hear the screaming about lack of food and housing yet they can buy these tickets. Maybe I'm just getting old .

Please read again what I said - notice the word "might".
Okay but if it is only a "might" how can you then suggest/accuse the RSL of doing things if you are not sure.?
I doubt it very much that the RSL would do things like this, but I am 100% convinced that the supermarkets have their big fingers in the pie here.

Off the subject a little, I well recall my great Uncle reciting an incident in WW1 while encamped in Egypt. He received a parcel from his Wife that included, of all things, a brown paper packet of Gum Leaves. Just prior to retiring to his tent and having his last “ Cuppa” before bed he threw the Gum Leaves on the coals. He closed his eyes and with the of the burning leaves, memories flooded back. Upon opening his eyes he was astounded to see many, many soldiers had caught the scent and surrounded the glow, in silence. He was very, very moved by the experience.
That would have been very emotional.

Woolworths donates Anzac biscuits every year for the traditional cuppa after the Cudgen Dawn Service which commences at 4.28, the time of the original landing.

Reactions: Bridgit
Okay but if it is only a "might" how can you then suggest/accuse the RSL of doing things if you are not sure.?
I doubt it very much that the RSL would do things like this, but I am 100% convinced that the supermarkets have their big fingers in the pie here.
Oh so you can "suggest/accuse" and receive absolution and everyone else is to be condemned for expressing a reasonable thought?
Oh dear you had better pick your halo up from around your ankles before you trip and break your bloody neck!

I can't figure Veg. These stupid people pay a fortune just to hear what you can get on a disc while that woman rakes in Millions and gives nothing back. When are people going to wake up. We always hear the screaming about lack of food and housing yet they can buy these tickets. Maybe I'm just getting old .
No you are just getting old - this is what our society has come to sadly - all about self gratification and damn the rest BUT forgetting that they too will fall down on their luck and no one will care!

Oh so you can "suggest/accuse" and receive absolution and everyone else is to be condemned for expressing a reasonable thought?
Oh dear you had better pick your halo up from around your ankles before you trip and break your bloody neck!
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
By the way you are taking a different position in trying to discredit my post instead of proving me wrong, while actually insulting me. But, unlike you, I will not revert to these low acts of yours. After all we are all supposed to be adults and gentlemen like.
Anyway, I have never ever witnessed anything about the RSL going against these biscuits ad not wanting to pay for them (IF THEY ARE PAYING THAT IS).
Nevertheless you still have not addressed this comment of mine which apparenlty infuriated you no end. As such I will repost that part once again in the hope that you will respond in a more civilized way.
""(Okay but if it is only a "might" how can you then suggest/accuse the RSL of doing things if you are not sure.?)""
A MIGHT IS NOT A CERTAIN ( It is considered to be just and invented or a mde up and unsupported accusation), AND YOU CANNOT ACCUSE ANYONE JUST BECAUSE OF A "MIGHT". AND THAT IS A REAL FACT.

• Haha
Reactions: Bridgit
No you are just getting old - this is what our society has come to sadly - all about self gratification and damn the rest BUT forgetting that they too will fall down on their luck and no one will care!
With those comments I afully agree.(y)

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
By the way you are taking a different position in trying to discredit my post instead of proving me wrong, while actually insulting me. But, unlike you, I will not revert to these low acts of yours. After all we are all supposed to be adults and gentlemen like.
Anyway, I have never ever witnessed anything about the RSL going against these biscuits ad not wanting to pay for them (IF THEY ARE PAYING THAT IS).
Nevertheless you still have not addressed this comment of mine which apparenlty infuriated you no end. As such I will repost that part once again in the hope that you will respond in a more civilized way.
""(Okay but if it is only a "might" how can you then suggest/accuse the RSL of doing things if you are not sure.?)""
A MIGHT IS NOT A CERTAIN ( It is considered to be just and invented or a mde up and unsupported accusation), AND YOU CANNOT ACCUSE ANYONE JUST BECAUSE OF A "MIGHT". AND THAT IS A REAL FACT.
Oh dear you really are funny!