Truth behind the ANZAC biscuit controversy: Woolworths sets the record straight

In the age of social media, misinformation can spread like wildfire, and even the most well-intentioned companies can find themselves at the centre of a controversy.

Recently, Woolworths, one of Australia's leading supermarket chains, found itself in the crosshairs of a social media storm.

The claim is that Woolworths has turned its back on veterans by refusing to sell ANZAC biscuits this year. However, is there any truth to this?

The ANZAC biscuit is more than just a sweet treat; it's a piece of Australian and New Zealand history.

These biscuits, which were originally hardy, savoury, and designed to last the long journey to soldiers abroad, have become a symbol of the ANZAC spirit.

They are particularly prominent around ANZAC Day, when we remember the sacrifices made by the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps during World War I, especially at Gallipoli.

image (13).png
Some social media users FALSELY accused Woolworths of not selling ANZAC biscuits in 2024. Credits: Facebook

The controversy began with a Facebook post on April 3, 2024, saying, ’So Woolworths aren't selling ANZAC BISCUITS this year.’

This post, along with similar ones, spread rapidly across social media platforms, stirring up a storm of indignation.

According to one of the posts, ‘Heard that Woolworths won't sell Anzac biscuits this year. So much for supporting our service people.’

The source of the confusion was a statement from the Returned Services League (RSL)—an organisation supporting former servicemen—which noted that Woolworths would not be stocking the limited-edition ANZAC biscuit tins this year.

‘Please note that Woolworths will not be stocking the limited edition tins this year but they will be selling Anzac Appeal badges and supporting veterans and the RSL in this way,’ they said.

These tins are a part of the RSL's fundraising efforts, and their absence from Woolworths' shelves was enough to spark a backlash.

Far-right Senator Pauline Hanson was quick to condemn Woolworths.

Senator Hanson wrote on social media, ‘I haven't shopped at Woolworths ever since they announced they wouldn't be supporting Australia Day.'

‘Now that I have learned Woolworths has also refused to stock the RSL's special Anzac biscuit tins, it reinforces my original decision.’

Conservative media commentators also criticised the supermarket's decision.

Sky News Australia’s Rowan Dean urged customers, saying, ‘Stop shopping at Woolworths until they stop being political.’

However, Woolworths was also quick to respond to the allegations.

On April 3, the supermarket chain released a statement clarifying that it was still supporting the RSL's Anzac Appeal.

Woolworths highlighted that it had raised $13 million over the past decade for the RSL.

‘As the only supermarket supporting the Appeal, Woolworths customers in-store nationwide will be able to purchase badges and wristbands from this week, with all funds from sales going to the RSL,’ the supermarket giant said.

‘All year-round, customers can also purchase the much-loved Bakers Finest ANZAC biscuits endorsed by the RSL in Woolworths stores, which also generates revenue for the RSL.’

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) visited multiple Woolworths stores across Sydney and discovered that both the RSL's official ANZAC biscuits and memorabilia were available.

As of April 23, the Bakers Finest Rsl Anzac Biscuits 300g ($2.50) were also purchasable online.

The recent controversy surrounding Woolworths' decision has stirred discussions about the significance of ANZAC Day and the appropriate ways to honour it.

While some wrongfully criticised Woolworths for allegedly not offering Anzac-related products, others highlighted instances of respectful commemorations, such as a touching display observed at Coles stores.

Amidst differing opinions on commercial involvement in ANZAC Day, the display at Coles reminds us of the importance of paying tribute with sincerity and reverence.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths was falsely accused on social media of not selling ANZAC biscuits in 2024.
  • The claim originated after RSL announced that Woolworths would not stock its limited-edition Anzac biscuit tins but would still support veterans in other ways.
  • Woolworths clarified that it continues to support the RSL's Anzac Appeal by selling badges and wristbands, and has raised substantial funds over the past decade.
  • Despite the backlash, Woolworths still sells the much-loved Bakers Finest ANZAC biscuits endorsed by the RSL in stores and online.
Have you encountered any similar instances of misinformation? How do you ensure that the news you share is accurate? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't what to hear what they have raised over the last decade (Woolworths highlighted that it had raised $13 million over the past decade for the RSL.). I what to hear what they have raised per year. That way you would get a better understanding of how much they are raising and not just for the ANZAC's but all fun raising.

I don't what to hear what they have raised over the last decade (Woolworths highlighted that it had raised $13 million over the past decade for the RSL.). I what to hear what they have raised per year. That way you would get a better understanding of how much they are raising and not just for the ANZAC's but all fun raising.
Why?

Reactions: gordon1940
it seems that people whinge about anything. For heaven's sake if you can't buy them a Woolies either go elsewhere or MAKE THEM YOURSELF. I can't understand people who want everything at their fingertips. GET A LIFE. Back in the 70's I made heaps and sold them where I worked at MBF so don't say "I don't have time"...MAKE IT.

I know Jest but people seem to look for anything to whinge about.. The biscuits of today are nothing like the originals which were hard so they could last reasonably in kitbags.
thank goodness for changes. though the poor buggars had to chew on them. wonder how many would do that now. NONE.

Reactions: Bridgit
it seems that people whinge about anything. For heaven's sake if you can't buy them a Woolies either go elsewhere or MAKE THEM YOURSELF. I can't understand people who want everything at their fingertips. GET A LIFE. Back in the 70's I made heaps and sold them where I worked at MBF so don't say "I don't have time"...MAKE IT.
It wasn't just about the biscuits, it was because people and some Return Servicemen and women liked collecting the tins the ANZAC biscuits came in.
Woolworths didn't mention the reason why they stopped ordering the tins.

Reactions: Kelpie and TomN
Yeh why??? Geez I am getting sick of the constant Woolies bashing - some faceless person decides they don't like something, goes on social media, causes a ruckus and pisses off and doesn't have the nats to set the story straight, tell the truth and causes unnecessary angst - particularly amongst the elderly.
I don't give a tinkers about their politics, CEO's, how much they get paid, what their profit before tax is( means nothing) what I am interested in is how they treat there growers and suppliers( you get mixed info on this), their staff etc and that they stock what I need to buy to feed ourselves. We don't have the luxury of getting what the big cities get - half the time "out of stock"goes on for weeks - we don't bitch and complain to all and sundry - we don't threaten to go elsewhere - we don't boycott - sure prices have gone up ( everywhere) and with the useless government we have gets thru it will cost a bloody site more - and we need to stop believing every bit of rubbish that is served up and delivered to our In Box!!

It wasn't just about the biscuits, it was because people and some Return Servicemen and women liked collecting the tins the ANZAC biscuits came in.
Have you considered it might be a cost to the RSL and they made that decision?

probably because eventually tins will only fill up the tip. Everything today is throwaway. I actually asked at an Auction House what these tins would be worth as I have some.... was told "nothing, " I asked about my Mum's dinnerset of English Fine Bone China (over 100 years old) was told "No one wants that these days. It just goes to the tip"

probably because eventually tins will only fill up the tip. Everything today is throwaway. I actually asked at an Auction House what these tins would be worth as I have some.... was told "nothing, " I asked about my Mum's dinnerset of English Fine Bone China (over 100 years old) was told "No one wants that these days. It just goes to the tip"
Bettcha if I had a ticket stub to Sydney's March Taylor Swift concert, I would get hundreds of dollars on Ebay for it.

Go figure!

Could it be that Banducci did a triple backwards somersault when the news was spreading around the Country and when Rowan Dean said that Australian people should boycott Woolworths.?
I, like Pauline Hanson, have not entered the Woolworths doors of their Supermakers not even driving past it unless I am forced to ever since the Australia day Insult that was started by Banducci himself.
These people leave their Countries because of the ideologies and possibly tyrannical attitudes they are experiencing there but they still bring their own problems with them,
This man is to be given a one way ticket back to South Africa. Period.!
I HOPE YOU are following these forums Banducci.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
Bettcha if I had a ticket stub to Sydney's March Taylor Swift concert, I would get hundreds of dollars on Ebay for it.

Go figure!
The world has gone crazy mate. All youngsters are brainwashed, some of them refuse to get a job and prefer to live on entitllements handed out by OUR LAUGHABLE GOVERNMENT and paid for by the poor workers forced to be paying tax, and when some of them decides to go to Universities they are fully brainwashed and converted to these crazy ideas from some professors who possibly wouldn't even know how to add up without the aid of a calculator. How do I know that, well I have seen it with my own eyes and from some of my past employees who could not write or spell without the use of a computer or an adding machine.

Go figure!
Yes it is only the likes of us ( old fogies) who place a value on things that represent family( departed) cherished items we grew up with and knew the history that meant something to all in the family - even the RSL bikkie tins saved over the years ( I have many that came from my Mums mum and some that I have purchased and I use them for biscuits, cakes etc) - and when I use them they bring back memories. And like me I am sure the same happens to most our age. My youngest daughter once told me "oh they are only "things" - meant nothing to her and she was 45 yrs at the time - she said the same about vintage jewellery as well - so I disposed of everything I had and no one will have to worry about "things when I am gone"