Tricky driver’s licence question confuses test-taker: ‘So what did I do wrong here?’

How good is your driving knowledge?

Driving tests in Australia aim to ensure that all drivers have a solid understanding of road rules before driving.

But one question recently caused confusion, even for those who thought they had it all figured out.

One Victoria Roads test-taker was left stumped after selecting the wrong answer to a simple question in the driver’s licence test.

‘OK, so what did I do wrong here?’ they asked.

20231117_110430_0000.png
One test-taker failed the driver’s licence test despite choosing the most obvious answer. Credit: Reddit

The question was as follows:

'You are driving 90km/h in a 90km/h zone, and are being passed by most cars. What should you do?’

The multiple-choice answers included the following:
  • Speed up to keep up with the traffic flow
  • Turn on your hazard lights
  • Pull over if you don’t feel safe
  • Maintain 90km/hr, so long as it suits the conditions
The test-taker who got it wrong selected the last option, and was informed it was incorrect with the following explanation:

‘There are no circumstances under which you can exceed the speed limit. If you speed, you will be caught, and the penalties are serious for all drivers.’

It didn’t take long for this post to blow up on social media, with hundreds of users offering their views that a glitch may have occurred in the website's program.

One responded, ‘The question is definitely bugged. Appeal the result.’

‘Submit a complaint. That’s a faulty question design,’ another said.

Someone said that they experienced the same problem.

One complained, ‘I hate gotcha questions like this, they don’t actually force anyone to think and get it correct–they just penalise for interpretation. It’s just a stupid, baked-in character flaw in testing and examination amplified by bad bureaucracy.’

Other users felt that the correct answer was to pull the car over, while others argued that there was a problem with the website.

‘Appears to be a bug in the website. That message should have been displayed if you selected the first option,’ one user wrote.

More people agreed it was 'f***ed up' that the person had to pay to take a test when it seemed to be not working properly.

‘I can only think the correct answer is pull over,’ another commented.

To be fair, driving and its rules can be challenging (test glitches aside).

In a previous story, a driver shared his disappointing experience on social media about failing his driver’s licence test by making a small mistake. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A driving test question has left people stumped, with many believing the questionnaire to be bugged.
  • The test-taker selected the answer that they should maintain their 90km/h speed when being passed by most cars in a 90km/h zone, but this was marked incorrect.
  • Many respondents suggested that there might be a glitch with the website and urged the driver to submit a complaint or appeal the result.
  • Some felt that the correct response would be to pull over if feeling unsafe.
Members, what do you think of the test-taker's answer? What would your answer to the question be? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
My son was once booked for doing 60km/h in a 60/km zone. The officers excuse was that you must drive “under” the speed limit. My son appealed the fine and won. The court magistrate ordering that the officer concerned to be retrained.

I would have also said the last one.
If you are doing 90km in a 90km zone it's not going over the speed and you are not doing anything wrong as long as it's safe to do so . So what's the problem 🤔 unless the author of the post didn't write up the exact questions eg like Chinese whispers

Maintaining the speed limit if the conditions permit is OBVIOUSLY correct as you are NOT EXCEEDING the speed limit
I agree this is the correct answer but the questionaire says its wrong. This answer is the only one that makes sense and I have been driving for a very long time. The drivers I see on the road nowdays and how they ever got a licence in the first place is another topic.

Driving tests in Australia aim to ensure that all drivers have a solid understanding of road rules before driving.

But one question recently caused confusion, even for those who thought they had it all figured out.

One Victoria Roads test-taker was left stumped after selecting the wrong answer to a simple question in the driver’s licence test.

View attachment 35003
One test-taker failed the driver’s licence test despite choosing the most obvious answer. Credit: Reddit

'You are driving 90km/h in a 90km/h zone, and are being passed by most cars. What should you do?’

The test-taker who got it wrong selected the last option, and was informed it was incorrect with the following explanation:

‘There are no circumstances under which you can exceed the speed limit. If you speed, you will be caught, and the penalties are serious for all drivers.’

It didn’t take long for this post to blow up on social media, with hundreds of users offering their views that a glitch may have occurred in the website's program.

One complained, ‘I hate gotcha questions like this, they don’t actually force anyone to think and get it correct–they just penalise for interpretation. It’s just a stupid, baked-in character flaw in testing and examination amplified by bad bureaucracy.’

Other users felt that the correct answer was to pull the car over, while others argued that there was a problem with the website.

‘Appears to be a bug in the website. That message should have been displayed if you selected the first option,’ one user wrote.

More people agreed it was 'f***ed up' that the person had to pay to take a test when it seemed to be not working properly.

In a previous story, a driver shared his disappointing experience on social media about failing his driver’s licence test by making a small mistake. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• A driving test question has left people stumped, with many believing the questionnaire to be bugged.
  • The test-taker selected the answer that they should maintain their 90km/h speed when being passed by most cars in a 90km/h zone, but this was marked incorrect.
  • Many respondents suggested that there might be a glitch with the website and urged the driver to submit a complaint or appeal the result.
Members, what do you think of the test-taker's answer? What would your answer to the question be? Share them with us in the comments below!
As an experienced driver for over 60 years, I would give the same answer which I remain convinced is the correct one. What answer was given by the testing body?

Reactions: Ezzy and Vinylted

View attachment 35003

Key Takeaways

what a dumb question. one has several options, all legit.

View attachment 35003

Key Takeaways

I would have selected the last answer also. I drive on the freeways always at correct speed, yet many cars pass me speeding over the limit.
So I just continue at correct speed !!!!

View attachment 35003

Key Takeaways

I would say it would depend on what road you were on, what lane you were in. In all instances stick to the speed limit,and if possible move to the left. Let those speeding pass you.

Reactions: oldchook58 and Ezzy

View attachment 35003

Key Takeaways

Remain in left-hand lane at 90klm maintain signed speed. Let other vehicles overtake.