Treasurer reveals loophole in $1000 energy rebate

As the cost of living continues to rise, Queenslanders have been given a financial lifeline through a $1000 electricity credit, a generous initiative announced by Premier Steven Miles to ease the burden on households.

This substantial credit is set to be applied to electricity accounts in a single lump sum starting from 1 July this year.

But what's got everyone talking is the discovery of a loophole that could turn this credit into cash.

It has been revealed that if households decide to switch their electricity provider, they can cash out any remaining credit on their account.

Treasurer Cameron Dick has stepped in to address these concerns, assuring Queenslanders that this loophole will not exacerbate inflationary pressures.

shutterstock_2115510830.jpg
The Queensland government announced a $1000 energy credit for all households from 1 July. Credit: Shutterstock

‘There's obviously got to be processes and procedures when people change retailers or when they move their house,’ he said.

‘That's always been the case in Queensland, but I think Queenslanders know this money comes off their power bill, and then they can use that however they wish, use it on their account as a credit or use in in a different way rather than their power bill.’

In a reassuring statement, the Treasurer denied any effect from the rebate.

‘We've now got that evidence that (last year's rebate) hasn't contributed to inflation. In fact, it's decreased inflation in Queensland, not just for electricity, reduced by almost 10 per cent, but our inflation for the year to the end of March was lower than the national average at 3.4 per cent and the single biggest contributor to reducing inflation in Queensland was our electricity rebate of $550.’

The initiative, which will cost the budget $2.5 billion, is set to be funded by the coal mining royalties.

In a joint statement, Miles and DDick dubbed it as the ‘biggest cost of living initiative by a state government ever’.

Additionally, the state government has committed to continuing its support for small businesses by reducing power bills by $325.

The impact of previous rebates has been significant, with the Australian Bureau of Statistics data showing a 9.5 per cent decrease in electricity bills.

These rebates also contributed to Queensland's lower inflation levels than the national average, with power bills 'remaining lower than under the LNP'.
Key Takeaways
  • Queenslanders will receive a $1000 credit on their electricity accounts as a lump sum from July this year.
  • A loophole allows households to cash out the credit if they switch electricity providers.
  • Treasurer Cameron Dick insists that the rebate will not worsen inflation and has actually helped to reduce it.
  • The initiative, costing $2.5 billion, will be funded from the royalties obtained from coal mining.
What do you think of this story, members? Share your opinions and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
With Origin you can cash out any credits you have, without changing provider.

I'd hardly call this a "loophole " - it's something we've always been able to do when changing providers (at least here in Qld) or, as we have done in the past, had a portion of our electricity account credit refunded into our bank account and used it to pay our Council rates.

What a joke, of cause it is going to increase inflation, does this govt think we are all idiots. How ironic to use coal royalties the same commodity they are trying to stop us from using to power our power station. Dic%$eads.
rossco295 I seriously doubt it, there will be few people doing this - before we moved into our new home with solar panels this rebate would have ALMOST covered our annual electricity bill. I don't find "ironic" that a portion of the mining royalties (a paultry sum mining companies pay us for our coal before they export it) is returned to all Queenslanders to help cover the 'last-hurrah' price-gouging fossil-fuel energy companies are currently engaged in before they are finally 'phased out' some 40 years since the IPCC first began warning us that "global heating could “be disastrous for mankind if timely steps are not taken at all levels”, no wonder climate scientists despair that we are living in an age of fools -

This is a total joke as the Queensland Government are the sole producers of electricity to the public in Qld. Before 2007 all Qld electricity bills were through Energex or Ergon both government owned. In 2007 Labor premier Peter Beatie privatised the retailing side so that any price increases could be blamed on these same retailers even though the wholesale price is set by a government controlled entity. Last year Qld's wholesale price increase was the highest in Australia and now they are making out they are goody goodies by giving some of it back to us. My annual bill went from approx $800 in 2022 to over $2000 in 2023. Whilst I agree coal fired power stations are not the answer it is in Qld the government who operates and supposedly maintains them .

Why is it that taxpayers money goes towards the power companies and makes them richer and more profitable,the government should look into why our electricity bills are so high and increasing and not holding power companies accountable for the increases.Our taxpayers money is also being used to build and support Solar and Wind Turbine Farms,so much for our Federal and State governments owning anything anymore,they just throw our money away.There is no accountability for the spending of money from governments or councils

This is a total joke as the Queensland Government are the sole producers of electricity to the public in Qld. Before 2007 all Qld electricity bills were through Energex or Ergon both government owned. In 2007 Labor premier Peter Beatie privatised the retailing side so that any price increases could be blamed on these same retailers even though the wholesale price is set by a government controlled entity. Last year Qld's wholesale price increase was the highest in Australia and now they are making out they are goody goodies by giving some of it back to us. My annual bill went from approx $800 in 2022 to over $2000 in 2023. Whilst I agree coal fired power stations are not the answer it is in Qld the government who operates and supposedly maintains them .
Yes, Beattie pulled a few swifties that have been costly to the public. Take for example water. Before Beattie amalgamated the supply of water and created the bureacratic Water Board, we didn't have to pay for it in the Redlands as we had ample supply. Now we pay through the nose for it.

Typical, usual government stuff-up. They couldn't organise a naughty in a brothel.

And yet they say they are private ownership owned by Government , all a lot of B S….

Yes, in credits….and probably like last time….$200 one billing period and $200 the next. Still, better something than nothing at all…..

rossco295 I seriously doubt it, there will be few people doing this - before we moved into our new home with solar panels this rebate would have ALMOST covered our annual electricity bill. I don't find "ironic" that a portion of the mining royalties (a paultry sum mining companies pay us for our coal before they export it) is returned to all Queenslanders to help cover the 'last-hurrah' price-gouging fossil-fuel energy companies are currently engaged in before they are finally 'phased out' some 40 years since the IPCC first began warning us that "global heating could “be disastrous for mankind if timely steps are not taken at all levels”, no wonder climate scientists despair that we are living in an age of fools -
Agree the coal royalties are still far too low but the LNP would make them even lower as they only care about multinational profits not the Australian people. I doubt that many people, if any at all, would switch providers just to cash out this subsidy. As I have solar this subsidy will take my power bills to zero for the next few quarters.

it is given for a reason not to try and profit. guess who will be screaming blue murder re their power bills. Those who take the money out of their account.

• Haha
Reactions: IslandSteve