Travellers face delays as chaos ensues in Aussie airspace over bizarre reason

The Australian skies were thrown into chaos recently as widespread flight cancellations and delays plagued airports across the country.

The culprit? Two air traffic controllers at Sydney Airport called in sick.

This seemingly minor hiccup had a domino effect, causing significant disruptions and leaving passengers stranded and frustrated.

On a typical day, Sydney Airport sees around 50 take-offs and landings per hour.

However, due to the absence of these two key staff members, Airservices Australia had to reduce this number by almost half to just 26.

This drastic reduction led to a ripple effect of delays and cancellations, affecting domestic flights and international connections.

andrik-langfield-qvFlxrDSyXU-unsplash.jpg
Travellers have been experiencing longer delays and missing connections. Credit: Unsplash

Airservices Australia CEO Jason Harfield confirmed the situation during a senate committee meeting in Canberra.

He revealed that none of the 948 controllers nationwide could fill in for the absent workers.

This revelation sparked criticism and disbelief, with Opposition transport spokeswoman Bridget McKenzie expressing incredulity.

'It’s pretty incredible that two people don’t show up for work, and the whole country is shut down,' she said.

‘When Sydney experiences disruption, the whole country suffers and international travellers are also missing connections as a result of this.’

The meeting uncovered an interesting fact: Airservices Australia staff are entitled to unlimited sick leave.

Despite the criticism, Airservices Australia maintained that safety is always their first priority.

'We have temporarily reduced traffic throughput to manage flights safely within the capacity available,' the service stated.

‘Airservices is enhancing its service resilience by recruiting and training more than 100 new air traffic controllers (ATCs) nationwide since 2020.’

'More than 70 new ATCs are due in FY2024, and a further 80 ATCs are projected to join us each year moving forward to add further depth to our ATC rosters.'

Delays are a common occurrence in air travel, and they are more frequent during peak travel times.

We often hear from pilots they’ll ‘make up time’ in the air whenever a delay occurs. But what does this phrase even mean? A pilot shed light on this common claim.

You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australian airports experienced significant delays and cancellations due to the sick leave of two Sydney Airport control tower staff.
  • The absence of these workers led to a 50 per cent reduction in flight operations, causing widespread disruption for passengers.
  • Airservices Australia highlighted the importance of safety and managed flights within the available capacity during the disruption.
  • Airservices Australia is recruiting and training new air traffic controllers to enhance service resilience and prevent future disruptions.
Have you ever been affected by flight delays or cancellations? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Reactions: natalielocket
Sponsored
I am not totally surprised. A friend of mine has a son who has been an air traffic controller in a major Australian city for many years. They are not to go to work if they even have a headache, due to the complicated and stressful nature of their work. And I certainly would not like to think that I was on a plane in air space controlled by an air traffic controller who was not feeling 100%. Whatever they pay these people is not enough. They are some of our unsung heroes.

the flow on effect would be minimal given the number of flights cancelled by the major airlines on a daily basis for 'mechanical problems' code for: not enough bums on seats to make flight profitable. 1 would negate the other.

Reactions: maherdj and Jennie
These people deserve medals, and they handle 1000's of lives in their hands on a daily basis. It takes a special person to train and stick with this job, they used to suffer burnout after only a few years due to the high stress.
So if they aren't 100% and they are told not to go to work I'm happy with that.

If you have youtube have a look at this- air traffic controller after dinner speech I am sure you will enjoy it and hope that you find it amusing

If you have youtube have a look at this- air traffic controller after dinner speech I am sure you will enjoy it and hope that you find it amusing
Absolutely fantastic, thanks for the link :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am not totally surprised. A friend of mine has a son who has been an air traffic controller in a major Australian city for many years. They are not to go to work if they even have a headache, due to the complicated and stressful nature of their work. And I certainly would not like to think that I was on a plane in air space controlled by an air traffic controller who was not feeling 100%. Whatever they pay these people is not enough. They are some of our unsung heroes.
I was a ARO for several years in the mining industry I wish I could of pulled those stunts then. Very stressful job, inspecting the airstrip, checking the fuel bring planes in to land.