Traveller stirs up controversy after revealing pre-boarding trick - here's what she did

Flying can be a daunting experience, especially for those who are inexperienced with air travel.

From long waits at security to cramped seats and limited legroom, it's not hard to see why some people find the whole process to be a total nightmare.

However, TikTok user @affordingstyle recently made waves on social media when she revealed a simple yet controversial travel trick: queuing up for boarding before the announcement is made.

Despite facing criticism for her actions, the experienced flyer was swift to explain the rationale behind queuing up before boarding, which she claims is a common practice among seasoned travellers.

According to her, the primary reason for queuing up early is to secure overhead space for carry-on luggage.

She said in a video: 'I'm at the airport so I thought I'd just remind people, if people line up early for the flight, it's because of overhead space.

'I keep seeing videos where people are like: Why are you wanting to get on the plane sooner? It's not about being on the plane sooner.’

She went on to explain that experienced flyers often prefer to travel light and carry their belongings in their hand luggage instead of checking in bags, which increases the risk of losing them.

However, limited overhead space on the plane can cause issues for those carrying larger carry-ons, leading to a scramble for space that can be avoided by queuing up early.

‘I can't believe this still has to be said but here we are,’ @affordingstyle finished.

cab791f095e53009b1fad8eed0ede019

The TikTok user explained that some travellers prefer to line up early for boarding because they want to secure overhead space for their carry-on bags. Credit: TikTok/@affordingstyle.

The video has amassed over 270,000 views and generated a wave of comments from viewers sharing their own experiences and tips for boarding, including those who also prefer to travel with only carry-on luggage.

One person shared:’ Yes, I have such anxiety over overhead space.'

'It's often the same people who have so much carry-on that it eats up the space of others,’ another shared.

But is her behaviour actually good etiquette?

Bonnie Tsai, an etiquette expert and founder of Beyond Etiquette, warns against the practice of queuing up early, even if it is for a good reason.

According to Ms Tsai, standing in line before your boarding group is called can cause frustration among other travellers and the gate agents.

Additionally, it is unlikely to get you to your destination any faster. Ms Tsai advises passengers to be considerate and avoid lining up prematurely, as everyone will eventually reach their destination.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman on TikTok has defended passengers who queue at airport gates in order to board the plane first.
  • She said the queues are not just about getting on the plane sooner, but about making sure overhead space isn’t filled up by checked bags.
  • People flooded the comments with similar stories about why they travel with just a carry-on.
  • Etiquette experts said the act of queuing before your boarding group is called won’t get you to your destination any sooner and urged passengers to be considerate.

So, there you have it, folks! While experienced flyers like @affordingstyle may have valid reasons for queuing up early for boarding. However, it's important to remember that such actions can have an impact on other passengers and gate agents.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference - some people prefer to be the first on the plane, while others are okay with waiting.

Regardless of your preference, it's always a good idea to be considerate of others and follow boarding procedures, as it can make the flying experience more pleasant for everyone involved.

Do you have any other tips for an easy and stress-free travel experience? Let us know in the comment section below!

Sponsored
And worse of all are the travellers who put their carryon luggage in other peoples overhead spaces and then move down the plane to use theirs as well. I have experienced the plane being delayed because the culprits won’t own up to their bags until the staff say they are putting it off the plane.

The airlines could save all this hassle if they enforced their own regulations and stop people having more than ONE piece of carry on luggage per person and only if it fits in the wire holder which are usually near the check-in counter. That way EVERYONE would get a fair go, not just the b***** you Jack types who steal other peoples locker space.

Flying can be a daunting experience, especially for those who are inexperienced with air travel.

From long waits at security to cramped seats and limited legroom, it's not hard to see why some people find the whole process to be a total nightmare.

However, TikTok user @affordingstyle recently made waves on social media when she revealed a simple yet controversial travel trick: queuing up for boarding before the announcement is made.

Despite facing criticism for her actions, the experienced flyer was swift to explain the rationale behind queuing up before boarding, which she claims is a common practice among seasoned travellers.

According to her, the primary reason for queuing up early is to secure overhead space for carry-on luggage.

She said in a video: 'I'm at the airport so I thought I'd just remind people, if people line up early for the flight, it's because of overhead space.

'I keep seeing videos where people are like: Why are you wanting to get on the plane sooner? It's not about being on the plane sooner.’

She went on to explain that experienced flyers often prefer to travel light and carry their belongings in their hand luggage instead of checking in bags, which increases the risk of losing them.

However, limited overhead space on the plane can cause issues for those carrying larger carry-ons, leading to a scramble for space that can be avoided by queuing up early.

‘I can't believe this still has to be said but here we are,’ @affordingstyle finished.

cab791f095e53009b1fad8eed0ede019

The TikTok user explained that some travellers prefer to line up early for boarding because they want to secure overhead space for their carry-on bags. Credit: TikTok/@affordingstyle.

The video has amassed over 270,000 views and generated a wave of comments from viewers sharing their own experiences and tips for boarding, including those who also prefer to travel with only carry-on luggage.

One person shared:’ Yes, I have such anxiety over overhead space.'

'It's often the same people who have so much carry-on that it eats up the space of others,’ another shared.

But is her behaviour actually good etiquette?

Bonnie Tsai, an etiquette expert and founder of Beyond Etiquette, warns against the practice of queuing up early, even if it is for a good reason.

According to Ms Tsai, standing in line before your boarding group is called can cause frustration among other travellers and the gate agents.

Additionally, it is unlikely to get you to your destination any faster. Ms Tsai advises passengers to be considerate and avoid lining up prematurely, as everyone will eventually reach their destination.

Key Takeaways

• A woman on TikTok has defended passengers who queue at airport gates in order to board the plane first.
  • She said the queues are not just about getting on the plane sooner, but about making sure overhead space isn’t filled up by checked bags.
  • People flooded the comments with similar stories about why they travel with just a carry-on.
  • Etiquette experts said the act of queuing before your boarding group is called won’t get you to your destination any sooner and urged passengers to be considerate.

So, there you have it, folks! While experienced flyers like @affordingstyle may have valid reasons for queuing up early for boarding. However, it's important to remember that such actions can have an impact on other passengers and gate agents.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference - some people prefer to be the first on the plane, while others are okay with waiting.

Regardless of your preference, it's always a good idea to be considerate of others and follow boarding procedures, as it can make the flying experience more pleasant for everyone involved.

Do you have any other tips for an easy and stress-free travel experience? Let us know in the comment section below!

Many times I have arrived at the airport early and sat down to wait…. but late comers turn up and take a stance at the boarding gates, and the early arrivals end up boarding last.This is the “me” generation who only think of themselves and have no consideration for their fellow travellers or etiquette rules. Shame on you.

Lots of people do it here they don't actually line up but the stand as close to where they will line up when called so they are first on anyway

It’s pretty sad when we have to argue over a little piece of space on an aeroplane. Be grateful you have the means to fly.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
Couldn't agree more with FrankS. Airlines should be enforcing the 1 bag rule for overhead lockers. They should also be checking sizes of bags. I'm sure last time I travelled the bags seemed bigger than what they used to be. Also I have never had problems with lost luggage. People use that as an excuse because their time is more important than everyone else's. They just can't be bothered waiting for their luggage. Rant over.

I use a walking stick. Whenever I have had to fly interstate, parents & people needing assistance are called to board first. I have seen able bodied people rush to the gate to get on first. In Melbourne I went to board the plane, the gate attendant saw I was using a walking stick & told me to wait to the side. After everyone had boarded I was then allowed on the plane, by the time I got to my seat, the passengers in my row had to get up as I had a window seat.

Reactions: 52KID and Marj53
The airlines could save all this hassle if they enforced their own regulations and stop people having more than ONE piece of carry on luggage per person and only if it fits in the wire holder which are usually near the check-in counter. That way EVERYONE would get a fair go, not just the b***** you Jack types who steal other peoples locker space.
Depends on your airline I guess. Just came back from the Gold Coast with Jetstar and you definitely wouldn't get away with too many bags or too heavy bags. I didn't see anyone having a problem with overhead space

Whenever we have flown passengers have been called to board by seat numbers? So how can you jump the queue?
I have had that happen, but not always. On our Jetstar flight the front half rows were asked to board from the front and the rest from the back - that worked just fine too