Transport for NSW under fire after sending an ‘insane’ letter to a man with Alzheimer's

Every time an unfit driver is allowed on the road, it’s not just their safety at stake but the well-being of everyone around them.

Case in point: a woman from New South Wales (NSW) recently voiced her frustration on the internet over her elderly father’s permission to continue driving, despite grappling with Alzheimer’s disease.

The 83-year-old had his driver’s license suspended for an upcoming mandatory driving test, but the unexpected twist came when he received a letter allowing him to drive without completing the required test.

‘This letter was written on the same day Dad didn’t show up for his test ... what?’ She shared on social media.

man-5819617_1280.jpg
An 83-year-old had his license suspended but received a letter allowing him to drive without taking the test. Image source: Pixabay

The woman explained that her dad ‘should not be on the road anymore’ but ‘doesn’t realise it’.

‘Every time he drives, he has bingles and scrapes and parks on the footpath,’ she added.

‘But he is passionate about cars, especially his one, and doesn’t believe any of the bingles were his fault—there is zero accountability.’

The woman and her brother had been considering taking away his keys due to their concerns, so they were thrilled upon learning about his license suspension before the test.

However, after receiving the letter, the woman said that she had received word that he had ‘got[ten] his car out of the garage and is out driving somewhere.’

‘It is insane,’ said the daughter.

‘I can’t believe how reckless and dangerous this situation is, and my brother and I may have to evoke our power of attorney to get him to stop since the manager of the licence renew[al] unit is an absolute joke.’

According to a spokesperson for Transport for NSW, the department has statutory obligations ‘to ensure all license holders are medically fit and competent to hold a driver’s license’.

Additionally, members of the public are urged to be responsible and report drivers whom they believe are no longer capable of driving safely.

NSW letter to elderly man with Alzheimers.jpeg
The woman labelled the letter as ‘reckless and dangerous’. Image source: Reddit

‘Members of the public who have a genuine concern about a person’s medical fitness or competency to safely drive a vehicle can report an unsafe driver at their nearest Service NSW centre,’ they explained.

‘The service centre manager will complete an Unsafe for Driving Report form and interview the informant to verify and investigate the details given to ensure the information has been provided in good faith.

‘The completed report is then forwarded to the Transport for NSW Licence Review Unit with recommended actions.’

In NSW, individuals with a license are required to undergo an annual medical assessment starting at the age of 75 and an on-road driving test every two years from the age of 85 to retain an unrestricted driver’s license.

Those aged 85 or older have the option to obtain a modified license, permitting them to drive within their local area.

Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed her dismay online when her 83-year-old father with Alzheimer's was allowed to continue driving, even despite his driver’s license being temporarily suspended.
  • The elderly man received a letter stating he could still drive despite not appearing for his mandatory driving test.
  • The man’s daughter and son are contemplating exercising their power of attorney to prevent their father from driving, as he often has minor car accidents and is a potential danger on the road.
  • The public also has a responsibility to report unfit drivers; annual medical assessments are required from 75 and on-road driving tests every two years from 85 to maintain an unrestricted license in NSW.
Members, what do you think can be done on both sides to ensure that no unfit drivers are allowed to drive? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
My wife and her sister are currently taking turns 5mths at a time looking after her mum she still has all her mental prowess but 18mths ago she just lost all mobility we don't want to put her in a home, she is 93 just as an aside she is 93 my wife is 63 my daughter is 33 and my grand daughter is 3 amazing isn't it
Wow🤔that’s mind blowing.well done to you all I’m in awe.😍

Surely his doctor can write a letter regarding his competency to submit to the licensing department.
Surely his dr can write a letter stating he is no longer competent to drive due to his medical condition. When my mother in law became unsafe as a driver but still thought she was a good safe driver hubby put a kill switch on her car to stop it from starting. We put a lock on the car bonnet so she couldn’t lift it up and turn the switch on. She was pretty cunning and managed to get the bonnet up enough to notice a new red switch on the motor after she couldn’t start the car. She rang hubby and demanded he go out to her place out of town and remove whatever he had put on the car to stop it from starting. Boy did she kick up a ruckus. After a lot of talking and explaining our concerns for her and other road users she agreed to hand her licence in. We then just made sure we took her into town regularly and to any appointments and visited her frequently so she didn’t feel isolated. It kept her and every other driver on the roads safe.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Surely his dr can write a letter stating he is no longer competent to drive due to his medical condition. When my mother in law became unsafe as a driver but still thought she was a good safe driver hubby put a kill switch on her car to stop it from starting. We put a lock on the car bonnet so she couldn’t lift it up and turn the switch on. She was pretty cunning and managed to get the bonnet up enough to notice a new red switch on the motor after she couldn’t start the car. She rang hubby and demanded he go out to her place out of town and remove whatever he had put on the car to stop it from starting. Boy did she kick up a ruckus. After a lot of talking and explaining our concerns for her and other road users she agreed to hand her licence in. We then just made sure we took her into town regularly and to any appointments and visited her frequently so she didn’t feel isolated. It kept her and every other driver on the roads safe.
I had to chuckle picturing granny having a kiddy tantrum😁but well done for doing that for her and everyone else’s safety.god love em cos we sure do😍

Some years ago I realized that even driving with glasses on my eyesight wasn't good enough to be driving....so after speaking with my optometrist, he helped arrange for me to see the local hospital and have them check my eyesight also.....cataracts in both eyes.... so I stopped driving, but because I had no personal insurance, I was placed on the hospital waiting list.....long story short it took me 4 years to get both eyes done and I can see as clear as a bell now.....didn't miss driving at all throughout that time and I was lucky to have my older brother living with me who did all of the driving for both of us. Getting OLD sucks. !! 😉

Some years ago I realized that even driving with glasses on my eyesight wasn't good enough to be driving....so after speaking with my optometrist, he helped arrange for me to see the local hospital and have them check my eyesight also.....cataracts in both eyes.... so I stopped driving, but because I had no personal insurance, I was placed on the hospital waiting list.....long story short it took me 4 years to get both eyes done and I can see as clear as a bell now.....didn't miss driving at all throughout that time and I was lucky to have my older brother living with me who did all of the driving for both of us. Getting OLD sucks. !! 😉
Your not wrong there maggieboy😢

Every time an unfit driver is allowed on the road, it’s not just their safety at stake but the well-being of everyone around them.

Case in point: a woman from New South Wales (NSW) recently voiced her frustration on the internet over her elderly father’s permission to continue driving, despite grappling with Alzheimer’s disease.

The 83-year-old had his driver’s license suspended for an upcoming mandatory driving test, but the unexpected twist came when he received a letter allowing him to drive without completing the required test.

‘This letter was written on the same day Dad didn’t show up for his test ... what?’ She shared on social media.

View attachment 33337
An 83-year-old had his license suspended but received a letter allowing him to drive without taking the test. Image source: Pixabay

The woman explained that her dad ‘should not be on the road anymore’ but ‘doesn’t realise it’.

‘Every time he drives, he has bingles and scrapes and parks on the footpath,’ she added.

‘But he is passionate about cars, especially his one, and doesn’t believe any of the bingles were his fault—there is zero accountability.’

The woman and her brother had been considering taking away his keys due to their concerns, so they were thrilled upon learning about his license suspension before the test.

However, after receiving the letter, the woman said that she had received word that he had ‘got[ten] his car out of the garage and is out driving somewhere.’

‘It is insane,’ said the daughter.

‘I can’t believe how reckless and dangerous this situation is, and my brother and I may have to evoke our power of attorney to get him to stop since the manager of the licence renew[al] unit is an absolute joke.’

According to a spokesperson for Transport for NSW, the department has statutory obligations ‘to ensure all license holders are medically fit and competent to hold a driver’s license’.

Additionally, members of the public are urged to be responsible and report drivers whom they believe are no longer capable of driving safely.

View attachment 33339
The woman labelled the letter as ‘reckless and dangerous’. Image source: Reddit

‘Members of the public who have a genuine concern about a person’s medical fitness or competency to safely drive a vehicle can report an unsafe driver at their nearest Service NSW centre,’ they explained.

‘The service centre manager will complete an Unsafe for Driving Report form and interview the informant to verify and investigate the details given to ensure the information has been provided in good faith.

‘The completed report is then forwarded to the Transport for NSW Licence Review Unit with recommended actions.’

In NSW, individuals with a license are required to undergo an annual medical assessment starting at the age of 75 and an on-road driving test every two years from the age of 85 to retain an unrestricted driver’s license.

Those aged 85 or older have the option to obtain a modified license, permitting them to drive within their local area.

Key Takeaways

• A woman expressed her dismay online when her 83-year-old father with Alzheimer's was allowed to continue driving, even despite his driver’s license being temporarily suspended.
  • The elderly man received a letter stating he could still drive despite not appearing for his mandatory driving test.
  • The man’s daughter and son are contemplating exercising their power of attorney to prevent their father from driving, as he often has minor car accidents and is a potential danger on the road.
  • The public also has a responsibility to report unfit drivers; annual medical assessments are required from 75 and on-road driving tests every two years from 85 to maintain an unrestricted license in NSW.
Members, what do you think can be done on both sides to ensure that no unfit drivers are allowed to drive? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Up here in QLD, the older drivers must take a test from our doctors. If we pass, we are then allowed to get a renewable licence. I often wonder if a lot of older drivers even go to see the doctor for the test. Boy there are very many of the older people that definitely should not be allowed behind the wheel. I gave up my licence about 2 years ago, as I started to develop shaking in my left hand and lost strength in it, and I certainly wasn't going to kill anyone or myself on the road. This problem needs to be addressed very severely.