Transform your laundry game: Aussie mum shares ‘genius’ laundry system for the family!

Are you tired of the never-ending cycle of laundry? Do you feel like you're constantly battling mountains of dirty clothes? If so, you're not alone.

Many people struggle with the seemingly endless task of keeping up with our family's laundry. But what if there was a way to make this chore less daunting?

Enter Sally Hepworth, a Melbourne-based New York Times bestselling author and working mum-of-three, who has devised a 'genius' laundry system that could revolutionise your approach to this household task.

Hepworth's innovative laundry routine involves four individual baskets, one for each member of her family.

Instead of constantly picking up dirty clothes from her children's bedroom floors, Hepworth only washes what ends up in their designated baskets.

Screenshot 2024-01-29 122921.png
Sally Hepworth created a laundry system for her family, and people on social media are all praises! Image: Facebook

The beauty of this system lies in its simplicity and the autonomy it gives to each family member. Hepworth no longer sorts or puts clothes away.

She leaves the clean laundry in a big communal basket so her children can sift through, fill their own basket, and take it to their rooms themselves.

'I was reflecting on how much I used to stress about laundry,' Hepworth shared in a social media post.

'I have never been particularly good at domestic chores and, as a working mum, managing the laundry of four people felt overwhelming, thankless and never-ending.'

'While it's not fancy.. it has greatly reduced my laundry-related stress while also encouraging my kids to take responsibility for their own stuff, so I thought I’d share it in the event it might help you,' she said.

By involving her children in the process, Hepworth has saved a significant amount of time.

'I wash any clothes that arrive in the laundry,' she explained.

'I do not collect clothes from bedroom floors or dirty clothes baskets, and I do not shout at the kids to bring me laundry. If they don’t put it in the laundry, I don’t wash it. I then drop the clean laundry in the large blue basket.'

Hepworth's children don't fold their clothes, but that doesn't bother her. 'They don’t fold anything. I don’t care,' she said.

'The girls have drawers with stickers on them for undies, t-shirts, socks etc so it’s easy for them to toss things in the right place, and then find them later.'

If her children forget to bring their dirty laundry down, Hepworth says they have to wait for the next wash cycle.

'If they have no clean clothes, they have to wear dirty ones,' she explained. 'It’s not ideal but I’m a fan of natural consequences.'

The implementation of this system has made laundry a breeze for Hepworth. 'They’ve stopped asking me where stuff is,' she said.

'If they are looking for their blue t-shirt they know it is on their floor or in the communal basket. If it’s not, their guess is as good as mine.'

Hepworth's post has resonated with many, garnering numerous likes, with many saying they use a similar system.

'This is how I handle laundry also. I have three kids. Laundry is still the bane of my existence. Their laundry now just sits in baskets. I try not to stress but it still drives me crazy,' one mum said.

Another shared: 'I have a system like this! I wash clothes and throw clean clothes into baskets. There is no folding. Only shoving into drawers or hanging on hangers by the kids. I have very low household standards but I’m good with it!'

Many described Hepworth’s laundry system as a 'game changer' and 'brilliant'.

'Can I tell you how much joy this gave me? I’m a strong believer in natural consequences as well,' one suggested.

Another said: 'This is genius. My rule is if it’s on the floor, it doesn’t get washed. It must be in a laundry basket or hamper. Sports uniforms must be brought directly to the laundry room to get washed ASAP or else there’s no guarantee it’ll be clean for the next practice/game.'

One shared: 'Great system! Ours was similar—if they want it washed it’s their responsibility to get it to the laundry room for me to wash, or wash it on their own. Each folded their own stuff. I don’t mind doing laundry but I’m not hunting for it.'

Hepworth's system is a testament to the power of simplicity and delegation.

By making each family member responsible for their own laundry, she has not only reduced her own workload but also taught her children valuable life skills.

It's a simple, effective solution to a common problem, and it's a great way to teach kids about responsibility and independence.

So, if you're tired of battling never-ending piles of laundry, why not give Hepworth's system a try? It could be the game-changer you've been looking for.

Key Takeaways
  • Sally Hepworth, a Melbourne author and mum-of-three, has created a unique laundry system to manage her family's washing with less stress, assigning individual baskets to each person.
  • The system involves the children being responsible for bringing their dirty laundry to the designated baskets and then sorting through the clean laundry themselves.
  • Hepworth's post gained significant attention on social media, with many parents resonating with the struggle of managing household chores and admiring her approach.
  • The laundry method not only saves time but also encourages her kids to take responsibility for their belongings, and many have called the system a 'game changer' and 'brilliant'.

What do you think of this laundry system, members? Would it work in your household? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Hell no !! Currently it is just me and my 19 yo daughter. She washes her own clothes and looks after her own clothes. We wash our clothes that we wore the day before, the next day. I wash mine in the morning, and she washes her's in the evening. On Fridays I wash my bedding, and she does her's on Saturday mornings. We never have piled up dirty laundry. Oh, and I have 4 children, all adults now, living in their own homes. I once had 3 children under 8 years old and I never struggled to do their laundry. I always wash all the clothes every day, from the previous day. They were taught from 3 years old to put dirty laundry in the basket so Mummy can wash it. That is how my Mum taught us, and oh boy, if she found dirty laundry in our rooms after she did the washing, all hell will break loose :D :D :D

Are you tired of the never-ending cycle of laundry? Do you feel like you're constantly battling mountains of dirty clothes? If so, you're not alone.

Many people struggle with the seemingly endless task of keeping up with our family's laundry. But what if there was a way to make this chore less daunting?

Enter Sally Hepworth, a Melbourne-based New York Times bestselling author and working mum-of-three, who has devised a 'genius' laundry system that could revolutionise your approach to this household task.

Hepworth's innovative laundry routine involves four individual baskets, one for each member of her family.

Instead of constantly picking up dirty clothes from her children's bedroom floors, Hepworth only washes what ends up in their designated baskets.

View attachment 40112
Sally Hepworth created a laundry system for her family, and people on social media are all praises! Image: Facebook

The beauty of this system lies in its simplicity and the autonomy it gives to each family member. Hepworth no longer sorts or puts clothes away.

She leaves the clean laundry in a big communal basket so her children can sift through, fill their own basket, and take it to their rooms themselves.

'I was reflecting on how much I used to stress about laundry,' Hepworth shared in a social media post.

'I have never been particularly good at domestic chores and, as a working mum, managing the laundry of four people felt overwhelming, thankless and never-ending.'

'While it's not fancy.. it has greatly reduced my laundry-related stress while also encouraging my kids to take responsibility for their own stuff, so I thought I’d share it in the event it might help you,' she said.

By involving her children in the process, Hepworth has saved a significant amount of time.

'I do not collect clothes from bedroom floors or dirty clothes baskets, and I do not shout at the kids to bring me laundry. If they don’t put it in the laundry, I don’t wash it. I then drop the clean laundry in the large blue basket.'

Hepworth's children don't fold their clothes, but that doesn't bother her. 'They don’t fold anything. I don’t care,' she said.

'The girls have drawers with stickers on them for undies, t-shirts, socks etc so it’s easy for them to toss things in the right place, and then find them later.'

If her children forget to bring their dirty laundry down, Hepworth says they have to wait for the next wash cycle.

'If they have no clean clothes, they have to wear dirty ones,' she explained. 'It’s not ideal but I’m a fan of natural consequences.'

The implementation of this system has made laundry a breeze for Hepworth. 'They’ve stopped asking me where stuff is,' she said.

'If they are looking for their blue t-shirt they know it is on their floor or in the communal basket. If it’s not, their guess is as good as mine.'

Hepworth's post has resonated with many, garnering numerous likes, with many saying they use a similar system.

'This is how I handle laundry also. I have three kids. Laundry is still the bane of my existence. Their laundry now just sits in baskets. I try not to stress but it still drives me crazy,' one mum said.

Another shared: 'I have a system like this! I wash clothes and throw clean clothes into baskets. There is no folding. Only shoving into drawers or hanging on hangers by the kids. I have very low household standards but I’m good with it!'

'Can I tell you how much joy this gave me? I’m a strong believer in natural consequences as well,' one suggested.

Another said: 'This is genius. My rule is if it’s on the floor, it doesn’t get washed. It must be in a laundry basket or hamper. Sports uniforms must be brought directly to the laundry room to get washed ASAP or else there’s no guarantee it’ll be clean for the next practice/game.'

One shared: 'Great system! Ours was similar—if they want it washed it’s their responsibility to get it to the laundry room for me to wash, or wash it on their own. Each folded their own stuff. I don’t mind doing laundry but I’m not hunting for it.'

By making each family member responsible for their own laundry, she has not only reduced her own workload but also taught her children valuable life skills.

It's a simple, effective solution to a common problem, and it's a great way to teach kids about responsibility and independence.

So, if you're tired of battling never-ending piles of laundry, why not give Hepworth's system a try? It could be the game-changer you've been looking for.

Key Takeaways

• Sally Hepworth, a Melbourne author and mum-of-three, has created a unique laundry system to manage her family's washing with less stress, assigning individual baskets to each person.
  • The system involves the children being responsible for bringing their dirty laundry to the designated baskets and then sorting through the clean laundry themselves.
  • Hepworth's post gained significant attention on social media, with many parents resonating with the struggle of managing household chores and admiring her approach.
  • The laundry method not only saves time but also encourages her kids to take responsibility for their belongings, and many have called the system a 'game changer' and 'brilliant'.

What do you think of this laundry system, members? Would it work in your household? Let us know in the comments below.
Looking at the mostly empty tubs, it looks as though the kids clothes spend most of the time on their bedroom floors! That would do my head in to be honest. I think that whole system would drive me insane. I'm glad it works for this family but it would never have worked when I had kids living at home.

Hell no !! Currently it is just me and my 19 yo daughter. She washes her own clothes and looks after her own clothes. We wash our clothes that we wore the day before, the next day. I wash mine in the morning, and she washes her's in the evening. On Fridays I wash my bedding, and she does her's on Saturday mornings. We never have piled up dirty laundry. Oh, and I have 4 children, all adults now, living in their own homes. I once had 3 children under 8 years old and I never struggled to do their laundry. I always wash all the clothes every day, from the previous day. They were taught from 3 years old to put dirty laundry in the basket so Mummy can wash it. That is how my Mum taught us, and oh boy, if she found dirty laundry in our rooms after she did the washing, all hell will break loose :D :D :D
Surely you don't run a full wash cycle twice everyday everyday, for one it's wasting Energy and water, not to mention washing powder/liquid. Even quick wash cycles use a third of a tub and general run around 30 minutes. However, it's your money to spend as you want I guess.

View attachment 40112

Key Takeaways

Some 30+ years ago I remarried and had an instant family of 6 + 2 of my own. Laundry was a daily task! I started out from the beginning that if it wasn't in the laundry basket it wasn't washed! No picking up off the floor or putting away. It was only when they went searching for a particular item that it finally sunk in how the system worked! Training the grandkids now!!!

Surely you don't run a full wash cycle twice everyday everyday, for one it's wasting Energy and water, not to mention washing powder/liquid. Even quick wash cycles use a third of a tub and general run around 30 minutes. However, it's your money to spend as you want I guess.
That’s exactly what I thought. What a huge waste of money, water, powder and also time to hang it out (or using a dryer on top of waste using the washing machine twice daily).
Her money & her time, not mine!

Ah the trials of modern living; the stress, the hardship, the struggle to use an automatic washing machine and soap powder and a drying rack. Heavens to Betsey, one might even have to go out of doors to hang the clothes on a washing line using non-automaic clothes pegs! The misery of it all! It certainly takes one away from one's mobile phone thingey, doesn't it?

I used a variation on this - a basket in each bedroom (kids shared bedrooms in those days) and a 'communal' basket in the bathroom. Not in a basket = didn't get washed.
Ah kids; nothing a good flogging doesn't improve. Dammit; I am not allowed to make politically incorrect jokes anymore! Oliver Twist had it far too easy; back in the day when I were a young lad........

View attachment 40112

Key Takeaways

There is laundry liquid and there is a washing machine. Over a certain age teach them how to use them both. They soon learn that it doesn’t dry by itself. The laundry basket can then live in their bedroom. “ give a man a fish……… etc

View attachment 40112

Key Takeaways

aren't you lucky you do not have to boil a copper??? Really, all you have to do is throw it into a washing machine, funnily enough, it does the washing. OH! I forgot you have to sort the washing. TOUGH.

Ah the trials of modern living; the stress, the hardship, the struggle to use an automatic washing machine and soap powder and a drying rack. Heavens to Betsey, one might even have to go out of doors to hang the clothes on a washing line using non-automaic clothes pegs! The misery of it all! It certainly takes one away from one's mobile phone thingey, doesn't it?
I always say it's not like I have to wash my clothes in the Parramatta river and dry them on a rock!

View attachment 40112

Key Takeaways

I remember when my kids were little they started to leave their school uniforms on the floor of their rooms. My daughter was the main culprit. I got tired of picking up after them so told them I would give them three warnings and if the dirty laundry was not put in the basket I would not wash it. They didn't believe me and one day my daughter ran out of clean school dresses and was frantic because she said she could not wear a dress for a second day. Nevertheless, I made her wear that dress which was a little wrinkled though not really dirty which embarrassed her at school. It worked! They always put the dirty laundry in the basket for washing after that!

Reactions: Bellclare and Gsr
This system gets things washed and available good.

But I'm not in favour of the no folding.

If things get chucked in to drawers, the wearers will look like beggars wearing clothes that look like they'd been pulled out of a plastic bag.

Part 2 of this lesson is folding.

I agree with the saying:

Giving a man a fish feeds him for a day/week/month (however long you keep giving it to him) but teach him to fish and you're FREE ☺️.

Reactions: Gsr
When the washing is dry, the kids should get their basket and collect their own washing off the line and put it away. Big time saver for mums.

Reactions: Bellclare