Transform your kitchen with this $22 Kmart item: Shoppers are losing their minds!

Every so often, a kitchen gadget emerges that captures shoppers' attention with its versatility and affordability.

Such gadgets resonate with consumers and become social media sensations as users share innovative ways to utilise them.

In today's climate of rising living costs, highlighting these budget-friendly kitchen innovations is more crucial than ever, offering practical solutions to everyday kitchen challenges.

The 2 Slice Sandwich Press ($22) has long been a staple in Australian kitchens. It is perfect for whipping up a quick and satisfying toastie.

But who knew this modest device could do so much more? From sizzling up a full English breakfast to crisping frozen fish fingers and steaming dumplings, this Kmart sandwich press is proving a game-changer.

Excitement has been building in popular social media groups, where budget retailer fans share their experiences and creative uses for the toastie maker.

1718928390064.png
Shoppers found this Kmart appliance remarkable in cooking different foods. Credit: Kmart

One shopper asked the group for reviews of the Kmart Sandwich Press, which she considered an alternative to a pricier Breville model.

‘I would like to hear your reviews for the Kmart Sandwich Press,’ she stated.

‘It’s heaps cheaper than the Breville I am looking at. If it’s good, I’d love to buy this.'

The responses were positive, with many praising its ability to cook various foods perfectly.

‘I love mine–you can cook eggs to perfection, and they never overcook even if left in there (you gotta keep it open and hovering just above the yolk). Bacon is perfectly crispy but not hard, toasties, wraps, and the usual, too,’ one answered.

‘Essentially, I use it as a second stove, and it cooks quicker, too!’

‘I’ve had mine nearly four years just about and cook dumplings on them [as well]. You just fry them in there,’ another person commented.

‘We’ve had ours for years – sandwiches [are done] perfectly. We also use it for sausages, thin steaks, eggs and bacon, [it’s] a great multi-use cooker,’ a third added.

‘I’m a manager and I have so far purchased four of these. One for me and three for the locations I’ve worked in for the lunch room. It works perfectly fine, despite the fact it’s not cared for very well in the workplace. For the price, you can’t go wrong. I’ve even had some team members cook the most random things there, like frozen fish fingers and gyoza, etc,’ one person shared.

Opinions were split about the Kmart sandwich press's more expensive counterparts, such as the Breville Toast & Melt 2 Slice Sandwich Press, which costs $119.

I can’t vouch for the Kmart one, but I bought my Breville one about 20 years ago, and it’s still going strong. My marriage didn’t even last that long,’ one joked.

‘We have both Breville and Sunbeam sandwich presses we use in our busy business. They heat up quickly and don’t skip a beat. We did buy two Kmart ones prior to having these and found [they were] slow to heat up and also didn’t retain the heat. I would buy a Breville over Kmart. I think it’s worth paying extra. We use our toastie makers daily,’ another added.

‘It’s good, BUT I wish it was height adjustable. I’d buy the Breville as I know it has this feature,’ a third stated.

‘Get the Breville. This one oozes out all the cheese, and it takes forever to cook compared to the Breville,’ another said.

The Kmart press's affordability and daily reliability make it a standout choice for those who use it at home or work.

‘Comparing this one to the Breville and you can’t really tell them apart! I’ve had my Kmart one for a few months now and it’s perfect,’ a shopper noted.

‘I frequently use both this one at home and a Breville at my work. Literally no difference between them,’ another said.

‘I got the two Sambo ones, and they’re perfect. I replaced my Breville [with it] about two years ago, and it’s great,’ a third shared.

‘We had a Breville 4 Sandwich Press, and I wanted a smaller one. We got the Kmart 2 Sandwich Press about six months ago, and it’s been perfect (ours is used daily),’ another commented.

If you're considering other options, ALDI recently launched a microwave at a comparable price, drawing attention from shoppers.

Shoppers have lauded the device for its convenience in making crispy sandwiches. More details on this story can be found here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper sought opinions about the retailer's low-cost 2 Slice Sandwich Press.
  • Customers praised the Kmart toastie maker for its ability to cook more than just sandwiches, with some using it for breakfast foods and other creative dishes.
  • Opinions were split when comparing Kmart's product to the pricier Breville Toast & Melt 2 Slice Sandwich Press, with some advocating for the more expensive brand due to features like heat retention and adjustable height.
  • Despite the divide, several customers were highly satisfied with the Kmart Sandwich Press, noting its affordability and comparable quality to higher-end models for typical use.
Have you tried the Kmart sandwich press? Do you have another budget-friendly kitchen gadget that you swear by? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
The article mentions an Aldi microwave. I would never buy another microwave from Aldi. I bought the more expensive one that was on offer and within six months the inside was rusty. Every other microwave I have ever own has lasted years and I didn’t treat this one any differently. I do have the K.Mart sandwich toaster that I have had quite a few years and I’m happy with it.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I have the Sunbeam 2 sandwich press, which is fabulous. I use it daily and together with my air fryer, hardly ever use my oven. I cook my dog's chicken wings and necks in the press and it's great as it has the floating top so you can adjust the height. It makes delish toasties and makes great steak and onion sambos. I bought it for my sons and they love it...l think the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true👍

I have the Sunbeam 2 sandwich press, which is fabulous. I use it daily and together with my air fryer, hardly ever use my oven. I cook my dog's chicken wings and necks in the press and it's great as it has the floating top so you can adjust the height. It makes delish toasties and makes great steak and onion sambos. I bought it for my sons and they love it...l think the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true👍
Tricia l thought cooked chicken was a no-no for dogs!

Tricia l thought cooked chicken was a no-no for dogs!
No, cooked chicken is fine as long as there are no bones. However l just lightly cook the wings and necks just enough to sear them but keep them raw. Then, as my little poodle doesn't have a big mouth, l chop them up and she loves them. She's 14yrs old now and 95% blind and deaf but still enjoys her food, especially treats which l make myself. And she gets a lamb chop which is also seared in the press a few times a week and boy, she sure loves them.
Anyway, the point was just to say there is so much more than toasties that you can cook in the press and that goes for any brand. Happy cooking all😋👍

No, cooked chicken is fine as long as there are no bones. However l just lightly cook the wings and necks just enough to sear them but keep them raw. Then, as my little poodle doesn't have a big mouth, l chop them up and she loves them. She's 14yrs old now and 95% blind and deaf but still enjoys her food, especially treats which l make myself. And she gets a lamb chop which is also seared in the press a few times a week and boy, she sure loves them.
Anyway, the point was just to say there is so much more than toasties that you can cook in the press and that goes for any brand. happy cooking all😋👍
Hi Tricia l'm sorry l was meaning to say cooked chicken bones l know they can eat cooked chicken. l just wish l could stop our 11month old G Shepherd from eating wallaby poo when she's free around the property .The wallabies are a damn nuisance.

Hi Tricia l'm sorry l was meaning to say cooked chicken bones l know they can eat cooked chicken. l just wish l could stop our 11month old G Shepherd from eating wallaby poo when she's free around the property .The wallabies are a damn nuisance.
Ew (sorry) but that freaks me out...l've seen dogs in the park doing it and rolling in it (not from wallabies😁) but thank goodness Honey has never done it. She does love rolling in the grass though, especially freshly mown and she gets up looking like a green lamington. Isn't there anything you can do to stop her?

Be careful your dog could get ill from Toxoplasmosis poisoning maybe buy a muzzle for the dog. (Just a suggestion)😊