Transform soggy fruit into a delicious preserve with this easy 'use it up' jam recipe!

Gift-able, delicious, and great for breakfasts, jam is a pantry staple that can last you for years when stored correctly.

But before you head off to the shops to buy berries to make a batch, here's a way to use up the soft summer fruit you might have but almost forgot was in your fridge.

We all know that feeling when we realise that the fruit you bought a few days ago is starting to rot. That’s where this jam recipe comes in! It spots a potential outcome of throwing the fruit away and offers something better – an opportunity to give it a delicious new lease on life.

The beauty of this jam recipe is that it allows you to turn the smallest fragments of fruit into a long-lasting preserve. The best fruits for this recipe are cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, passionfruit, and peaches.

strawberries.jpg
Strawberries are delicious summer fruits but now they can be enjoyed all year long! Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

It’s not that difficult to jam soft fruits, all you need to do is:
  • Mix fruit with ¾ its weight in sugar.
  • Leave until it goes runny.
  • Heat until it goes jelly-like.
  • Seal it in a very clean jar.
It’s that simple!

You can even tailor this recipe with whatever fruit you have. Just be sure to add ¾ or 75 per cent as much sugar as you have fruit. One example is this mixed jam recipe where you can use any kind of fruit:

You need:
  • Soft fruit
  • Sugar
  • Lemon

mango.jpg
Mangoes can be used for healthy fruit smoothies as well. Credit: Daniel Dan/Pexels

To put it into perspective, suppose you have 350g mixed raspberries, blueberries, and mango. Add 262g of sugar to suit the weight of the fruit (350g of fruit x 75% = 262g of sugar) and ½ lemon’s worth of slices. About 1-2 lemons are good to use as well.

First, wash the fruit in warm water and then trim off the no-good bits. Then, you chop larger fruit into smaller chunks and remove pips from stone fruit. Combine all these in a large pot with the right amount of sugar.

Next, wash the lemon and slice it in half if you haven’t already. Squeeze the juice into the pot and stir well until combined, cover, and then leave it to macerate for a few hours.

Macerating is the process of drawing the fruit’s juices using the sugar, which then turns the sugar into liquid. This process will let you boil the jam to a set – meaning the fruit will likely stay in pieces rather than turn to mush once boiled. Now, once the sugar has liquefied, place the pot on the stove and boil the mixture.

A good way to know if the jam has set is when it gels enough to form a ‘wrinkled skin’ when you push your finger through it. Test this out by dripping a bit of boiling jelly on a cold plate and letting it cool for five minutes, and then giving it a poke. If it doesn’t look gelled enough, boil it for another five minutes and try again.

Once that’s done, pour your jam into sterilised jars and seal while hot. Store in a cool, dark place and voila! You made your own jam.

Key Takeaways

• With just a few hours of maceration and a quick boil, almost any soft summer fruit can be turned into a delicious, long-lasting jam.
  • ‘Use it up jam’ recipes allow you to turn bits of fruit into a preserve that has the potential to last for years. You can use fruits such as cherries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mango, passionfruit, and peaches.
  • For the best results, use ¾ the weight of fruit in sugar and heat until it reaches a jelly-like consistency.
Will you try this recipe, members? If you’ve got some stories or recipes to share, we’d love to hear them in the comments! We also have our own recipe forum here, so feel free to check it out if you want more cooking ideas or tips.

Sponsored
I make my own jam and marmalade from our own garden produce, but have never thought to use mixed fruits like this, apart from the usual mix of several types of citrus, or apple and rhubarb, etc. Just make sure none of the fruit has started to grow mould.

Reactions: Ricci and Penny4
When I was little it was my job to watch the pot. My mum had a huge preserving pan and used to make jars and jars of jams, marmalades and spreads every year. My dad grew all our food and mum turned it into wonderful edibles! The fruit would be put in the pan with the sugar and whatnot and be put on a low heat. The heat would slowly drive out the little bugs and creepy crawlies and it was my job to pick them out of the pot! As I remember it Raspberries and Blackberries were the worst but all the fruit had some bugs. :)

Reactions: janj
I like to make a healthier fruit spread using chia seeds to thicken & maple syrup to sweeten if required.

Reactions: Ricci