Tragic news: Labyrinth and Star Wars actor passes away suddenly, aged 56

It’s with a heavy heart that we are here to report the tragic news of Star Wars actor and stunt-man Paul Grant’s death.

The 56-year-old, who also appeared in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and 1980s cult classic Labyrinth, collapsed outside King’s Cross station in London last Thursday (March 16th) and was rushed to hospital.

Mr Grant famously played an Ewok in Return of the Jedi and acted as a stunt double for Hoggle in Labyrinth (1986), as well as portraying a member of the goblin corps. You’ve likely also seen his performance as a goblin in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Sadly, the UK-born actor was declared brain dead and passed away three days later on Sunday, March 19.

The exact cause of death is not yet clear.

Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 12.32.08 pm.png
Paul is survived by his girlfriend Maria and his children. Image Credit: Facebook

Standing at 132cm, Paul was not just a recognisable character in massive blockbuster films. He also worked as a stunt double in the 1988 film Willow and the 1985 film Legend with Tom Cruise. He reportedly also stood in for actor Kenny Baker as R2D2 in the final scenes of Return of the Jedi.

Paul’s stepdaughter Stacey confirmed on a GoFundMe page that the 'King of the Dwarfs' will be greatly missed. ‘I’m starting this page as Paul sadly passed away yesterday, and I would like to give him the best send-off he would want,’ she said.

His daughter Sophie Jayne Grant described Paul as someone who 'always brought a smile and laughter to everyone's face'.

‘I’m heartbroken … No girl deserves their dad to be taken away … He was so well known and loved [for his work]. He’s gone too soon.’

According to The Independent, just three weeks ago, Paul was approached and interviewed by YouTubers. In the interview, Paul reportedly said he had 'blown' all his money on a 'rock’n’roll' lifestyle, declaring it was his ‘last day of drinking', adding: 'I need to stop doing this.'

Despite this, he was still enjoying his life.

'You only live once,' he told reporters. You can watch this interview below.

Key Takeaways
  • Star Wars actor and stuntman Paul Grant has died after collapsing outside King’s Cross Station in London.
  • The exact cause of his death remains unclear.

'Paul was the love of my life. The funniest man I know. He made my life complete. Life is never going to be the same without him,' Maria Dwyer told The Independent.

Fans of the actor have also shared their messages of support online.

‘Sad to hear Paul Grant - Star Wars actor has died - I remember him in Return of the Jedi - my condolences to Paul's family,’ one wrote.

Another, who appears to have known Grant personally, added: ‘R.I.P PAUL GRANT shocked & saddened big man. We had fun & laughs over the years. REST EASY, MY FRIEND.’

A third beautifully stated: 'Rest in peace, Paul Grant. Thank you for your contributions to the Star Wars franchise and the entertainment industry as a whole. You will be missed.'

We extend our deepest sympathy to Paul’s family and friends as we remember his life and the cinematic legacy he left behind.

Members, oftentimes, it’s important to remember to slow down, appreciate life and make every moment count. Paul’s story is a sad but powerful reminder of this important message.

Share your thoughts, experiences and wisdom in the comments below.

You can watch his performance in Return of the Jedi below:

Sponsored
Such a sad story . He had the chance to do something most can only dream of but to blow all his money living the life of a rock n roll star is saying he loved the fast life style of drugs and alcohol.
I loved how the interviewer was trying to encourage him with a better life style.

Drinking that can of alcohol during the interview ( probably Bourbon) and already being wasted I think his life style would have continued.

I think it's a bit cheeky starting a GoFundme page to pay for a Lavish funeral that neither he nor his family could afford after he blew all his money. Didn't matter if he was a celebrity or not.
Sorry If I come across harsh

Last edited:
Such a sad story . He had the chance to do something most can only dream of but to blow all his money living the life of a rock n roll star is saying he loved the fast life style of drugs and alcohol.
I loved how the interviewer was trying to encourage him with a better life style.

Drinking that can of alcohol during the interview ( probably Bourbon) and already being wasted I think his life style would have continued.

I think it's a bit cheeky starting a GoFundme page to pay for a Lavish funeral that neither he nor his family could afford after he blew all his money. Didn't matter if he was a celebrity or not.
Never heard of him, then after reading the story he was in costume for the star wars stuff I watched so that explains it. It must be a no news day at SDC for this crap to appear.

Not harsh at all Suzanne there are far to many go fund me set up for wealthy people who blew it all

I agree. I keep remembering how George Best (brilliant English soccer player) drank like a fish and ruined his liver. He received a transplant on the British taxpayer pound and immediately began drinking again.

Those who’ve never lived with an alcoholic have no idea of the havoc they wreak on the lives of others, especially their wives/husbands and kids. The fact that he was ‘famous’ means nothing to me. I’d happily chip in for the funeral of a person who worked hard and raised a family, but prior to the days of compulsory superannuation, didn’t have the funds to pay for his or her funeral.

A man or woman like that wouldn’t expect or even want a lavish funeral. Why does this guy need one?

I have to agree with you

In life or death the rich get Richer and the poor get poorer it’s unfair to ask people to pay for a funeral for someone who has lived well and blown their wealth who’s going to get a go fund page for the poor bugger who lives on the streets Yes if asked I would and so would many of you

Reactions: Defiant540

Sure is cheeky. Too many Go Fund Me pages . Why should I chip in for his funeral when he blew all his money on lavish lifestyle, doesnt he have super or anything, or is all that gone too??

Reactions: Suzanne rose