Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“So I fell down it this morning and shouted,” she added.

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

The woman’s post was met with mixed reactions from fellow members of the forum.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Credit: BBC Earth Lab.

What are your thoughts? Are you Team Toilet-Seat-Up or Team Toilet-Seat-Down?

Reactions: Ricci and Lindyloo
Sponsored
Down/down/down...that is why it is part of the toilet...not hard to do surely.

Reactions: Ricci
Well that was interesting to read. All I can say is this is my experience. Since getting married I have always been polite and put the toilet seat and the lid down. So that whoever uses it next they have to lift either the lid or both to go to the toilet. I find that having the lid down as well prevents splashing happening. I really don't understand this woman, why can't she see whether the seat is up or down. Even when I am in desperate need, I always look first. As I have always been taught you should never 'assume', because when you 'assume' you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

Toilet seat up or down? Woman’s unfortunate incident has people’s opinions divided

One woman has ignited a heated debate online when she shared her story of ‘falling down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up.

Sharing her story on Mumsnet, a London-based internet forum, the British mum explained that recently, her husband is getting on her nerves for his ‘rude’ bathroom etiquette.

“I’ve asked him repeatedly to stop urinating with the toilet seat up, as obviously it’s gross and I sit in it,” she wrote.

“He’s a bit of a germaphobe and touching the seat probably gives him the heebie-jeebies but this is not reasonable.”

“He argued to the death yesterday that it was not him that had peed on the seat and he had ‘wiped’ it afterwards. So, he’s now lifting the seat, but not putting it back down!”

The woman continued: “TWICE today, I have fallen down the loo! I'm looking after a little baby, and generally running around bananas and a pee is not a luxury! It's a quick in/out procedure!”

“So I fell down it this morning and shouted,” she added.

“Surely men should put it back down after? Is this equal rights now? He lifts and I close? Sharing is caring?”

28953yAKiJBZiNnCKLrpGPfOCkPUPHXhqo_3FoRQ1-GoiYfDM5prhETKd6wpmbgxsZgkSNn7gqK-JAspLrhtgOO56woGzdbOLjpVskYn8OO7gHmTo87SMLkvzfeVvZGN1dVDpMn0

One woman ‘fell down the toilet’ after her husband left the seat up. Credit: iStockphoto.

The woman’s post was met with mixed reactions from fellow members of the forum.

Some people commented that it was her fault for falling in the toilet and getting a wet bottom, saying she should have looked before she sat down.

“How did you not see the seat was up…” wrote one person along with a confused emoji, while another added, “Why does the seat being up make you fall down the toilet? And why don’t you look before you sit down?”

Another person wrote: “It's pretty obvious when it's up... The two minutes that it takes to go into the toilet and do a pee surely doesn't need to be a rush job even with a baby; it's minutes they will be fine.”

Others came to the mum’s defence, saying that they experienced a similar incident before.

“If I’m not wearing my glasses and in a rush, I wouldn’t see a seat that was up. White seat and white porcelain become one,” wrote one woman. “Ex used to do this and it annoyed me!”

Another woman said: “Oh I hate that, it’s usually at night and I haven't bothered putting the light on. You sit down and get a nasty cold shock, falling back farther than you anticipate. I also hate sitting on the lid with a bump when I thought it was up!”

Thankfully, there are other members who suggested bathroom etiquette tips for a more peaceful household.

“The rule in our house is lid closed when you're done, so this wouldn't be a problem. More hygienic for flushing too,” said one person.

Credit: BBC Earth Lab.

What are your thoughts? Are you Team Toilet-Seat-Up or Team Toilet-Seat-Down?

Obviously this woman only goes to the toilet in the dark or with her eyes shut. Open your eyes and you will see the position the toilet seat lid etc are in. I mean what next? Is she just going to rush in one day and end up sitting on the toilet brush, ouch or surprise. Note to hubby, lift the seat have your wee and put the seat down. Just realised there is an alternative, he could sit down on toilet as well. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, men just don't get it. Maybe, we women, should get them to clean up after they have sprayed their pee all over on the floor. Although that's probably nigh on impossible! :D

After 59 years of marriage "I GIVE UP".........just put it down after my use and then every time I find the lid up.....saves a divorce...haha

I'm in neither camp of seat up or seat down. I'm in the camp of having the lid down. With pets and small grand children around the lid should always be down. I've had a pet drown in the toilet and a grand child trying to retrieve a toy out of the toilet because the lid was up. The lid is a safety cover that doesn't take long to drop for the sake of your child.

I always put it down. 99% my husband does too. In the caravan, he sometimes forgets. If you leave the lid up and flush the toilet, all the bacteria flies around the bathroom and may attach to your toothbrush. Dr OZ said so.