Today Show host Karl Stefanovic exposes truth about how the government is treating pensioners! - ‘What is going on?’

In today's challenging times of rising living costs and increasing financial burdens, people who depend on fixed incomes, like pensioners, face a particularly vulnerable situation.

With the relentless upward trend in housing, healthcare, and essential expenses, many are confronted with the difficult reality of trying to manage their limited income to meet their needs.

In a compelling segment on the popular morning show Today, host Karl Stefanovic sheds light on the dire consequences of Australia's housing crisis, as rising rent prices and soaring house costs push the nation's pensioners to their financial limits.

During a heartfelt interview, Karl Stefanovic spoke with Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva, a couple who are grappling with the overwhelming burden of escalating rent expenses.

Their distressing story serves as a poignant reminder of the hardships faced by countless retirees across the country.

1684891249338.png
Karl Stefanovic interviewed pensioner couple Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva, who shared their struggles with affording the rent. Credit: Facebook.

Peter and Zinaida were initially confronted with a steep rent increase of $30 per week, which already stretched their budget to the breaking point.

However, their ordeal did not end there, as they were soon confronted with another disheartening blow.

Following an urgent call to their real estate agent seeking clarification, Peter and Zinaida were met with a shocking revelation: their rent was slated to increase by an astonishing $140 per week.

This staggering surge in housing costs left the couple reeling, struggling to comprehend how they could possibly shoulder such a heavy financial burden.

During their interview on the Today Show, Peter expressed his deep concern over the situation, emphasising that they can’t afford a rent payment that surpasses their pension income.

‘$140 per week exceeds our entire pension,’ he lamented.

Unfortunately, Peter and Zinaida’s situation is becoming far too common in Australia due to the high cost of housing - and things only got worse when they called the Department of Housing. In fact, in this article, we covered how one pensioner resorted to sleeping in their car when they got evicted from their home.

'I phoned them up and got transferred to someone else, and the lady said there were people living in tents,' Peter said.

'If I just go down to the local public parks, she told me I’ll see the aged pensioners in tents.'

The comment infuriated Karl, who was baffled at how this situation was even possible.
'What is going on?' he questioned.

'This is the problem - even when you try to get through to the government, you are not heard. As if (living in a tent) is the right alternative.’

‘You work your whole life for this country, you pay taxes, then you get hit with a $140 increase in rent and you have to go and live in a tent in a park. I mean, what is going on?'

Key Takeaways
  • Karl Stefanovic criticised the government's treatment of pensioners who cannot afford high rent increases amid Australia's housing crisis.
  • Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva's rent went up by more than they could afford, and they received no help from the Department of Housing.
  • The issue highlights the struggles faced by pensioners in Australia, who find it difficult to get support from the government.
  • Stefanovic urged the government to listen to pensioners' concerns and find better solutions for their living arrangements.

It’s a heartbreaking yet unfortunately familiar story for so many people living with fixed incomes, and as Karl said, they deserve to be treated with more respect and understanding.

The fact that some could be forced out of their homes due to the rising cost of rent and a lack of assistance from the government is a disgrace.

It hardly seems fair that pensioners spending a lifetime contributing to the community and to the economy should be forced to make that kind of sacrifice.

What do you think about this issue? Do you know anyone who has been affected by increasing rent or the high cost of living, or have you been impacted? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
In today's challenging times of rising living costs and increasing financial burdens, people who depend on fixed incomes, like pensioners, face a particularly vulnerable situation.

With the relentless upward trend in housing, healthcare, and essential expenses, many are confronted with the difficult reality of trying to manage their limited income to meet their needs.

In a compelling segment on the popular morning show Today, host Karl Stefanovic sheds light on the dire consequences of Australia's housing crisis, as rising rent prices and soaring house costs push the nation's pensioners to their financial limits.

During a heartfelt interview, Karl Stefanovic spoke with Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva, a couple who are grappling with the overwhelming burden of escalating rent expenses.

Their distressing story serves as a poignant reminder of the hardships faced by countless retirees across the country.

View attachment 20519
Karl Stefanovic interviewed pensioner couple Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva, who shared their struggles with affording the rent. Credit: Facebook.

Peter and Zinaida were initially confronted with a steep rent increase of $30 per week, which already stretched their budget to the breaking point.

However, their ordeal did not end there, as they were soon confronted with another disheartening blow.

Following an urgent call to their real estate agent seeking clarification, Peter and Zinaida were met with a shocking revelation: their rent was slated to increase by an astonishing $140 per week.

This staggering surge in housing costs left the couple reeling, struggling to comprehend how they could possibly shoulder such a heavy financial burden.

During their interview on the Today Show, Peter expressed his deep concern over the situation, emphasising that they can’t afford a rent payment that surpasses their pension income.

Unfortunately, Peter and Zinaida’s situation is becoming far too common in Australia due to the high cost of housing - and things only got worse when they called the Department of Housing. In fact, in this article, we covered how one pensioner resorted to sleeping in their car when they got evicted from their home.

'I phoned them up and got transferred to someone else, and the lady said there were people living in tents,' Peter said.

'If I just go down to the local public parks, she told me I’ll see the aged pensioners in tents.'

The comment infuriated Karl, who was baffled at how this situation was even possible.

'This is the problem - even when you try to get through to the government, you are not heard. As if (living in a tent) is the right alternative.’

‘You work your whole life for this country, you pay taxes, then you get hit with a $140 increase in rent and you have to go and live in a tent in a park. I mean, what is going on?'

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic criticised the government's treatment of pensioners who cannot afford high rent increases amid Australia's housing crisis.
  • Peter Wood and Zinaida Grebeneva's rent went up by more than they could afford, and they received no help from the Department of Housing.
  • The issue highlights the struggles faced by pensioners in Australia, who find it difficult to get support from the government.
  • Stefanovic urged the government to listen to pensioners' concerns and find better solutions for their living arrangements.

It’s a heartbreaking yet unfortunately familiar story for so many people living with fixed incomes, and as Karl said, they deserve to be treated with more respect and understanding.

The fact that some could be forced out of their homes due to the rising cost of rent and a lack of assistance from the government is a disgrace.

It hardly seems fair that pensioners spending a lifetime contributing to the community and to the economy should be forced to make that kind of sacrifice.

What do you think about this issue? Do you know anyone who has been affected by increasing rent or the high cost of living, or have you been impacted? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
The forgotten are pensioners who rent have no assets or investments or super or savings. It’s hard especially as they often have huge medical and pharmaceutical bills too.

It’s time pensioners were treated with respect and afforded a decent income in line with the cost of living. After working and contributing taxes for 50 plus years we deserve to be able to thrive instead of barely surviving. Many other countries revere the elderly but sadly that’s not the case in Australia

I am so lucky to own my own home.
It is disgusting that rents can be put up by such ridiculous amounts, it should be illegal.
Being a landlord myself, I don't know how these money hungry landlords sleep at night.
I suppose though that some of them have large mortgages and have received so many interest rises they need to increase rents to recoup their
own costs, but some of them are just downright greedy.
It's a terrible situation all around.
I'm also happy that I can give my tenants a very reasonable rent as I don't have a mortgage.

What's happened to the government's commitment to keep the pension in line with the cost of living? Surely rent is part of the cost of living!
Note that Albo and Chalmers are very quiet on the subject.
Pensions ARE being kept in line with cost of living! That is why you get pension increases based on the higher of the CPI or male average wages!

So true. About trying to get by on a Pension. Our Rent went up nearly $100.00 a week. If not for my Son still living with us we would be who knows where. Also I feel that Medically we are a leave behind item as well. If not Rich or have Private Health Care you are put further and further down the list.I have many Friends whom agree with me. Private Health Care great but you still have to find the money to pay what is left over. I waited 5 years once for a appointment. Recently 2 Doctors sent Reffereals for me to be seen earlier than my usual 12 months.One sent in September last year. When finally admitted this week,I asked about the Refferals . All acted like what are you talking about.

Pensions ARE being kept in line with cost of living! That is why you get pension increases based on the higher of the CPI or male average wages!
They may be being kept in line with CPI but they are far too low in the first place.
How would the powers that be in our government, living in their macmansions, like to try living on this amount.

You need to look at the formula for Pension Increase it is not based on the CPI fully or Avg Income it is a formula that produces a much less figure. This is from a simple English explanation of how it is done:-

Most pensions are indexed twice each year (on 20 March and 20 September) by the greater of the movement in the CPI or the Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index (PBLCI).

They are then ‘benchmarked’ against a percentage of Male Total Average Weekly Earnings (MTAWE).

The combined couple rate is benchmarked to 41.76 per cent of MTAWE; the single rate of pension is set at 66.33 per cent of the combined couple rate (which is equal to around 27.7 per cent of MTAWE).

‘Benchmarked’ means that after it has been indexed, the combined couple rate is checked to see whether it is equal to or higher than 41.76 per cent of MTAWE.

If the rate is lower than this percentage, the rates are increased to the appropriate benchmark level.

Other income support payments such as Newstart Allowance are also indexed twice a year but only in line with movements in the CPI.

Indexing pension rates to CPI maintains their real value over time. The PBLCI is designed to check whether pensioners’ disposable incomes have kept pace with price changes.

The MTAWE benchmark is not intended to maintain the value of the pension relative to costs; it is seen as ensuring pensioners maintain a certain standard of living, relative to the rest of the population.

Reactions: Ricci
It appears there is a lot more to that story than the article suggest! The man claims:
$140 per week exceeds our entire pension" - this suggests that they have either a significant income from other sources or they have assets exceeding the asset test.

Reactions: Ricci and MIZMAC
You need to look at the formula for Pension Increase it is not based on the CPI fully or Avg Income it is a formula that produces a much less figure. This is from a simple English explanation of how it is done:-

Most pensions are indexed twice each year (on 20 March and 20 September) by the greater of the movement in the CPI or the Pensioner and Beneficiary Living Cost Index (PBLCI).

They are then ‘benchmarked’ against a percentage of Male Total Average Weekly Earnings (MTAWE).

The combined couple rate is benchmarked to 41.76 per cent of MTAWE; the single rate of pension is set at 66.33 per cent of the combined couple rate (which is equal to around 27.7 per cent of MTAWE).

‘Benchmarked’ means that after it has been indexed, the combined couple rate is checked to see whether it is equal to or higher than 41.76 per cent of MTAWE.

If the rate is lower than this percentage, the rates are increased to the appropriate benchmark level.

Other income support payments such as Newstart Allowance are also indexed twice a year but only in line with movements in the CPI.

Indexing pension rates to CPI maintains their real value over time. The PBLCI is designed to check whether pensioners’ disposable incomes have kept pace with price changes.

The MTAWE benchmark is not intended to maintain the value of the pension relative to costs; it is seen as ensuring pensioners maintain a certain standard of living, relative to the rest of the population.
I don't see what your argument is. The age pension will ALWAYS be adjusted to the "greater of the movement in the CPI or the PBLC".

These pension increases only occur every six months while the cost of living goes up on a daily basis. By the time the pensions are augmented, the cost-of-living is already higher and pensioners have to deal with the extra costs until the next "increase".

I always though La La Land was a fictitious place.

It is a term for people who have no idea of what the majority of people experience, because they are in their own social bubble in their own financial standing in their own world view of what life is like and as such it can be identified and located in Canberra.

It is such a great shame, it really is, that no monitoring of sites such as ours, ever occurs so that successive government, can get a proper perspective of our demographic's needs.

The surveys are nonsense. Anything can be manipulated so that it appears we have a preference to one thing over another.

The only way the will of the people can be gauged is to present us with a question.

Politicians keep searching for answers and yet all that is needed is to ask the demographic being targeted, the RIGHT questions and answers flood in.

Like with the housing crisis, how many excellent ideas were presented.

REALLY ISN"T THAT HARD to actually get a country to help guide itself.

It appears there is a lot more to that story than the article suggest! The man claims:
$140 per week exceeds our entire pension" - this suggests that they have either a significant income from other sources or they have assets exceeding the asset test.
Our they have expenses like Gas, Electricity, food, etc going up in Cost, let alone any other costs to live. Transport, Doctors, Medical, Clothes, the list goes on. Think of your weekly/monthly costs to live list them see how much it really costs, even take out the Daily coffee you buy for a bit of Luxury, Lunch you buy, see how much you need. Look at your Parents and ask them how they live COSTS. you may be a bit schocked if they are not on Super.

Reactions: Pink lion and Ricci
I don't see what your argument is. The age pension will ALWAYS be adjusted to the "greater of the movement in the CPI or the PBLC".
It is not fully adjusted, I suggest you go look at the Actual Pension Payment and increase paid at each adjustment. it is not FULL it is a percentage. look at this Webpage under the Government on how it is done. and you will see it is not what Media etc make it out to be. Read the last section as it shows the Table on how Calc.

View attachment 20519

Key Takeaways

140 dollar pw boils down to the simple fact of GREED, nothing but pure GREED by a disgusting coward of a landlord.... These people should be named and shamed around Australia

And here is a hot off the press headline:

Power bills to soar in cost of living hit​

Of course, along with rent increases, pensioners are sure to be covered next September, aren't they?
All I see is a decreases each time in Pension as it is a percentage of the what the Media say. Look up the Calc in DSS Gov site, Power bills in each state vary so do not back on you getting a State base increases to cover any bills. The first paragraph says CPI but read the last table and you will see it is not CPI only but less.

Reactions: Ricci and Glen44
People on the pension don't want to be, they have too be . So many things going up constantly, food electricity gas petrol rents so many Australias who have worked hard all there lives and have no super, need more help, the CPI increase is just a base line previous governments didn't even keep up with . We all know they are trying to bring down inflation. But most of the help in the budget was for people with large incomes and middle families with children, that's all well and good but pensions HONESTLY GET BUGGER ALL AS USUAL

BUT THANKS FOR WORKING DO HARD ALL YOUR LIVES

They may be being kept in line with CPI but they are far too low in the first place.
How would the powers that be in our government, living in their macmansions, like to try living on this amount.
Yes how would they like it - they have no idea - and they wouldn't be able to do it, if they had to try and live this way for one fortnights pension - they might just get It!! and if they had to continue living this way - they would make changes!