Tired of your pantry feeling cluttered and dirty? Here's how to keep it clean and fresh with minimal effort!

We all know how good it feels to have a decluttered, spick-and-span pantry; however, maintaining this level of cleanliness can be difficult, particularly if you live with other people or have a busy schedule.

If you find yourself struggling to keep your pantry as shipshape as you would like it to be, never fear! We've compiled some top tips from professional home organiser Anita Birges on how you can easily keep your shelves and surfaces tidy in between deep cleans.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 1.23.11 PM.png
Anita Birges has three top tips to keep your household pantry clean and smelling fresh with minimal effort. Credit: Instagram/mise_en_place_aus.

One problem that often arises is leaks from bottles and sauces accumulating on the shelves. These can be difficult and tedious to remove with just a cloth and water – however, Birges has found the perfect solution.

'All you need is a Magic Eraser, and it's going to work its magic!' she said. These small cleaning blocks are activated with just water and penetrate surface grooves to quickly lift and remove scuffs and scratches from doors, cupboards, light switches, and a variety of other surfaces.

If your supermarket doesn't stock Magic Erasers, don't worry – there are plenty of similar products available that will do the job just as well, such as this Mr Clean Eraser Pad Block from Bunnings. Just make sure to follow the instructions so that you don't damage your shelving or surfaces!

Another way to keep everything sparkling is by giving them an occasional wipe-down with cleaning spray - especially after restocking.

Instead of opting for expensive store-bought cleaners, which may contain harmful chemicals (not ideal when there are food items stored nearby!), Birges recommends mixing up your own using household ingredients.

Here's what you need to do: simply mix one cup of water, one cup of vinegar, and 15 drops of peppermint oil in an empty spray bottle. Combine thoroughly before use. This cheap yet effective solution not only sanitises the surface but also leaves behind a refreshing smell that lingers long after cleaning.

Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 1.23.02 PM.png
Anita claims that peppermint oil can help keep pesky bugs away from your pantry. Credit: Instagram/mise_en_place_aus.

Aside from keeping your pantry clean, Birges swears by peppermint oil when it comes to keeping pests such as bugs and moths away from food.

How? Simply add 2 to 3 drops onto felt adhesive pads (available for $6.40 for a 24-pack at Bunnings) before sticking them underneath shelves – and voilà! You now have an affordable yet effective defence against pesky insects taking up residence in your pantry.
Key Takeaways

• Use a Magic Eraser to get rid of the sticky spots on your shelves, as it can be activated by water and is considerably more effective at removing the stains than regular cleaning methods.
  • Make a DIY cleaning spray from one cup of water, one cup of vinegar, and 15 drops of peppermint oil to keep your pantry clean and smelling fresh.
  • A few drops of peppermint oil on adhesive pads can keep bugs and moths away from your food items.

We hope you found these tips useful, members! If you have more pantry organisation advice to add to the list, please feel free to share them in the comments below.

Sponsored
I clean my pantry each week emptying the 2 shelves used the most and completely empty it once a month.

My daughter uses the magic erasers on her wall and loves them

Reactions: Ricci
Love magic erasers and I did out my storage cupboard on Friday, dont' have the luxury of a pantry in social housing.:(

I clean my pantry each week emptying the 2 shelves used the most and completely empty it once a month.

My daughter uses the magic erasers on her wall and loves them
Question @Suzanne rose : Do you ever sleep? What with all the cooking. cleaning, painting, renovations etc. that you always seem to be doing I doubt you have any time left for bed. Not to mention you are also battling your own health issues. I get worn out just trying to follow what you're up to!! :)

Going to try the Magic erasers if I can find one - got a few marks to deal with! Currently tho, potential messers like soy sauces, oils and the like, get placed into shallow bases of plastic boxes whose lids have long since demised. Makes them useful as more than bin fillers, even in the recycle bin, and when I clean the shelves (don’t guilt me, it’s NOT once a week or even month!), they go in the dishwasher which cleans them with way less effort. It’s also easier to ensure back of cupboard (mine is L-shaped with only standard door access) stays clean(ish).

I have a large pantry due to long term habits of living out bush with only going to town every six weeks. Mine is always clean and tidy and all open packets are decanted into tupperware or glass bottles. I clean two shelves each month in rotation. Like, someone else mentioned, I store sauces and small bottles ie vanilla & other essences in plastic boxes which eliminates those sticky rings. I have larger tubs on the top shelf - one holds extra stores for baking and the other for food preparation. All the plastic storage items can be put into the dishwasher so no problems with keeping them clean. I put bay leaves at the back of the shelves to prevent any nasties.

Anita always has good tips. I use her tip for the rubbish bin in the kitchen.
Put a bit of vanilla essence on a cotton ball and place it in the bottom of the bin before you put a bin liner in.
I will have to get those felt pads though in lieu of cotton balls all the time.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci